Wiki Posts
Search

Schedule Change causing 5+ hours delay.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2022, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Schedule Change causing 5+ hours delay.

I’m flying back from the Caribbean today with the family (4 of us), arrive into Charlotte this eve, hotel overnight and planned to take a connection tomorrow morning which would have got us in at 10:24am tomorrow to our home airport.

well they cancelled the morning flight and put us on a flight which now gets in at 3:15pm tomorrow.

needless to say I’m annoyed; tried to call the airline but holding times were horrific.

Am I (we) entitled to any sort of compensation for the almost 5 hour delay?

Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2022, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not entitled, but they may give you a token gesture of some miles if you complain. The only mandatory compensation in US is for Involuntary Denied Boardings due to oversales (which doesn't apply to cancelled flights). CoC doesn't really provide for anything other than a hotel room if you are delayed overnight at a connection (and only if it is not due to forces beyond their control like weather).

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 19, 2022 at 6:25 am
Old Feb 19, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by IflyonAA
I’m flying back from the Caribbean today with the family (4 of us), arrive into Charlotte this eve, hotel overnight and planned to take a connection tomorrow morning which would have got us in at 10:24am tomorrow to our home airport.

well they cancelled the morning flight and put us on a flight which now gets in at 3:15pm tomorrow.

needless to say I’m annoyed; tried to call the airline but holding times were horrific.

Am I (we) entitled to any sort of compensation for the almost 5 hour delay?

Thanks
Depends on why it was cancelled but you will not get much for a 5 hour daytime delay regardless of the reason.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Curious, is this on one ticket? But in any case, no, you are not due any compensation.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
OP may not be technically due any compensation by law, but for an almost 5 hour delay if you send a complaint to AA they will definitely throw some miles and/or a bit of travel credit their way.
Cthunder86 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really clear if this is due to last minute IRROPs or an advance schedule change (which OP mentions in subject) that may have happened some time ago which would also make a difference. Flightaware is not currently showing any cancellations from CLT on Sunday.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: Executive Platinum
Since the flight changed by 5 hours can’t the OP get a cash refund or change to a different flight at their current price?
Old Feb 19, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
They would probably give a refund, but it it's on a single ticket and this is a "connection" they will probably pro-rate it by mileage with the originally flown segment - and the family still has to get home!

They will very likely offer a change to any sensible routing, But they won't put the OP on another carrier.

As for compensation, probably some miles. But maybe, maybe not.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Yes on a single ticket. I can’t change my flights because there is nothing else to change to……
Old Feb 19, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
How would AA know they aren't originating there???

trying to delete trying to delete
Uzzar likes this.

Last edited by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest; Feb 19, 2022 at 3:21 pm Reason: trying to delete
Old Feb 19, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA
Yes on a single ticket. I can’t change my flights because there is nothing else to change to……
What flight number was cancelled - It's possible for us to lookup AA's documented reaspm for canceling
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest
trying to delete trying to delete
By the records of the PNR?
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfer20
What flight number was cancelled - It's possible for us to lookup AA's documented reaspm for canceling
It wasn't cancelled per se. It was removed from the schedule completely.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
After 3 days and a few cryptic posts it's still not clear what happened here. Did AA cancel the flight on (or just before) the day of departure, due to weather or a mechanical problem or crew issues or some other kind of irrops?

Or did AA change the schedules weeks/months ago but you just found out about it when you arrived at the airport?

If the former, then send a complaint to AA to get some miles thrown your way. But if the latter, nothing is due.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
It would be extremely odd if they suddenly removed the flight from the schedule without you knowing about it until they day you were scheduled to fly it.
When was the last time you saw it on your booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.