Search

FTD 20x miles count as LPs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
FTD 20x miles count as LPs?

Question is in the thread title. Anyone know if it'll work?

I also take it you couldn't buy 30k miles and call it good for gold, right?
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Superguy
Everyone seems to be hoping but probably won't know for sure until after the new system starts.

Right.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
There are almost 200 posts in the existing thread basically asking the same question.

127 bonsai trees for EXP
vasantn likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

You can buy redeemable miles, but you cannot buy Elite Qualifying Miles
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
AA has already said (in a published LP FAQ at least) that some amount of FTD spend will earn LPs. Whether it's 0x, 1x, 20x, or more is anyone's guess at this point.

-FlyerBeek
craigthemif and LovePrunes like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:11 am

FTD is making my miles addiction rise up since I have a 30 miles/$ promo in my AAdvantage Promotions list.

For V-Day, I can get an FTD bouquet for about 50 bucks (including a $10 Paypal FTD stackable offer), which will net ~1,500 miles.
Or... could go to Costco/Whole Foods/Trader Joes and get flowers for under $20.

Nets out to 30 bucks for 1,500 miles (2c/mile), but also the hope of 1,500 LP come March.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:00 am
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dave_261
FTD is making my miles addiction rise up since I have a 30 miles/$ promo in my AAdvantage Promotions list.

For V-Day, I can get an FTD bouquet for about 50 bucks (including a $10 Paypal FTD stackable offer), which will net ~1,500 miles.
Or... could go to Costco/Whole Foods/Trader Joes and get flowers for under $20.

Nets out to 30 bucks for 1,500 miles (2c/mile), but also the hope of 1,500 LP come March.
Just a heads up that promotion clearly states 30 bonus miles, not base miles per dollar. My understanding was that eshopping posts as base and thus would probably earn LPs, but if these post as bonus I could see AA looking at them similarly to how they view CC sign up bonus miles and you'd get 0 LPs.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by doc4science
Just a heads up that promotion clearly states 30 bonus miles, not base miles per dollar. My understanding was that eshopping posts as base and thus would probably earn LPs, but if these post as bonus I could see AA looking at them similarly to how they view CC sign up bonus miles and you'd get 0 LPs.
Excellent catch... so I guess the question is are 30 base miles (likely NOT LP) better than 20 bonus miles (which MIGHT be LP)... obviously a personal choice but something to consider.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:08 am
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dave_261
Excellent catch... so I guess the question is are 30 base miles (likely NOT LP) better than 20 bonus miles (which MIGHT be LP)... obviously a personal choice but something to consider.
Exactly. Personally I think I'd go with the 20 base miles via eshopping, but it is certainly depends on whether you value an extra 10 miles (20c) per dollar off or the potential LPs. Also just so you don't get confused in the future, you have base and bonus backwards. Base probably earns LPs, bonus almost certainly does not.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by doc4science
I was trying to find posts of anyone confirming whether an FTD purchase shows up as "Base" or "Bonus" miles in their Activity page. I agree that the Promos listing for FTD offering 30 miles/$ does clearly say "bonus" miles, but it's still unclear to me whether the eShopping pathway for FTD (at 20 miles/$) is considered base. FWIW, it looks like one blogger seems to believe the promo listing would count as LPs despite the word bonus: https://onemileatatime.com/deals/ame...oints-flowers/
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There are almost 200 posts in the existing thread basically asking the same question.

127 bonsai trees for EXP
Don't you think I did a search before posting? Sorry I didn't know about bonsai trees and LPs.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

At any rate, it's looking like keeping status with AA is pointless without an AA credit card.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
At any rate, it's looking like keeping status with AA is pointless without an AA credit card.
Not so. I would suggest skimming the master thread; especially the second half.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...te-status.html
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
Not so. I would suggest skimming the master thread; especially the second half.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...te-status.html
Yeah this really isn't about the credit card. At 1 pt per dollar spent it's not going to move the needle that much unless you really spend a lot on your CC. EXP is 200k LP; how many people measure their annual credit card spend in hundreds of thousands of dollars?

The two cheapest ways to get LP are shopping portal purchases and partner flights (and maybe an honorable mention for AAhotels / RocketMiles), none of which require an AA CC.
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jamabam
I was trying to find posts of anyone confirming whether an FTD purchase shows up as "Base" or "Bonus" miles in their Activity page. I agree that the Promos listing for FTD offering 30 miles/$ does clearly say "bonus" miles, but it's still unclear to me whether the eShopping pathway for FTD (at 20 miles/$) is considered base. FWIW, it looks like one blogger seems to believe the promo listing would count as LPs despite the word bonus: https://onemileatatime.com/deals/ame...oints-flowers/
Mine posted as base miles for the X miles/$ part... there was some additional bonus going at the time, I don't think it was an FTD-specific increased earning rate, but rather a "Spend $X, get bonus miles" kind of offer across all eShopping... that posted on the same line item in the Bonus Miles column. Every other merchant I've bought from, whenever there's been an increased miles/$ earning rate (like around the holidays when some merchants were offering twice the usual earning rate, and it said "was 5, now 10 miles/$1"), they've all posted as base miles.
jamabam likes this.

Last edited by javabytes; Feb 7, 2022 at 5:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.