Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MXP or bust

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I see AA still hasn't solved its ramp staffing problem at DFW. I know the weather is unpleasant out there right now but I will wager money on any widebody departure on any day of the week in any weather situation at DFW taking a delay of 20-30 minutes for cargo loading.

I love the evening 789 nonstop DFW-LAX but it routinely takes minor delays for cargo. Even when the equipment has been sitting on the gate for hours and hours as it appears the ship operating AA38 tonight has done.

Airlines have been carrying lots of cargo in the bellies of widebody pax aircraft since the 1970s yet AA seems to have forgotten how to plan and staff for this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Now AA36 is reporting, "expected to depart shortly," for the past few minutes...
AA36 (AAL36) American Airlines Flight Tracking and History 02-Feb-2022 (KDFW-MAD / LEMD) - FlightAware
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Last WX observation at DFW was still temperature +1C. Over at both AFW and FTW though freezing rain has already been observed and temps either 0 or -1.

C'mon AA36, get deiced and takeoff already. I don't want my +850 bet on "Italian Airport Strike Strands Ian in MAD" to become no action!
la2clt, TheDudeAbides and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I don't even know you and I've been tracking this all day...looks like you're taxiing? We need updates!
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AAL36 moving and headed for deicing on the SW pad.

Originally Posted by PBIGuy
We need updates!
www.liveatc.net

For now, monitor DFW West ground on 121.85
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by Herb687; Feb 2, 2022 at 7:42 pm
Old Feb 2, 2022, 7:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
On the pad. There is an Emirates and QR heavy next to us plus another AA 787. They have been here an hour.

Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to blow your crew's mind, ask the FAs to ask the captain what the holdover time is for freezing rain as opposed to light freezing rain?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And meanwhile another aircraft on frequency is subtly lobbying them to change the weather report from FZRA to -FZRA!
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

“Flight attendants prepare for takeoff”

following a AA heavy to Miami.

yay.

Getting ready to knock back some Tito’s.
corky, rove312, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:58 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by enviroian
“Flight attendants prepare for takeoff”

following a AA heavy to Miami.

yay.

Getting ready to knock back some Tito’s.
Nah Glenlivet 12 . Get your moneys worth. I’m impressed how you navigated your trip and rerouted. I would never put that time and stress into something like this and just got to Milan whenever I got to Milan. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by corky
This all sounds like way more trouble than it is worth....just to spend 2 nights in Milan in the winter. Is there some burning reason that you must do this (other than you found a cheap fare) when so much can go wrong and it is such a hassle. I must have missed that part or I am missing something.
good luck.
when there’s a will there’s a way. He’s committed to flying.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I went to bed assuming the flight would cancel. I'm quite surprised to see that it will be arriving in ~20 minutes:
AA36 (AAL36) American Airlines Flight Tracking and History 02-Feb-2022 (KDFW-MAD / LEMD) - FlightAware
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 6:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

We arrived 90 minutes late. Let me tell you connecting at this god AWFUL airport is no walk in the park. I think I landed in Leon--took a train to the main terminal and went through security and took another train to M. No signage and no one to help for questions--no one. When I finally got to M 45 minutes later I found a human that speaks english only to tell me the lounge is back at the main terminal. I had to get back on the train, pass security a second time and spend 30 minutes looking for this lounge. How can DFW, an airport that does XX the amount of traffic this airport does be so logically planned compared to this airport. I was walking around looking like Ken Kettle who flies once a year on my hard earned dollar to fly NK to MIA.

I have two and half hours for my connection on faux J class Iberia. I think the satellite terminal is in another time zone...

The flight was fine but the flight attendant was pretty much nasty and looked miserable. Every question was curt. An hour out she started her witch hunt for the headphones and I pretended to be asleep so I know she would have the satisfaction of ripping them off my head so at the last second I opened my eyes and said "HOLA!". She wasn't amused, nor was I.

Food was good, chicken breast with sweet potato mash and green beans. The salad was all lettuce, horrible . The nuts that came with my first two of five Tito's were: cold, pressed together, mushy, and crumbled.

Other than that I'm in a good mood.

Last edited by aztimm; Feb 7, 2022 at 6:12 pm Reason: masked profanity is against the FT rules
Old Feb 3, 2022, 9:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Getting ready to head to Milan. While boarding there was an elderly man screaming in Italian to the guy who wheeled him on. This guy who wheeled him on spoke no Italian only Spanish. I only know this as I asked the man I’m front of me what the hell is going on.

Anyway here is the bulkhead for row 1. I’m on a 321. Speaking of airbus one would be hard pressed to find any Boeing aircraft around this airport. BA is storing some Belugas on one side of the airport.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
We arrived 90 minutes late. Let me tell you connecting at this god AWFUL airport is no walk in the park. I think I landed in Leon--took a train to the main terminal and went through security and took another train to M. No signage and no one to help for questions--no one. When I finally got to M 45 minutes later I found a human that speaks english only to tell me the lounge is back at the main terminal. I had to get back on the train, pass security a second time and spend 30 minutes looking for this lounge. How can DFW, an airport that does XX the amount of traffic this airport does be so logically planned compared to this cluster F of a crap airport. I was walking around looking like Ken Kettle who flies once a year on my hard earned dollar to fly NK to MIA.

I have two and half hours for my connection on faux J class Iberia. I think the satellite terminal is in another time zone...

The flight was fine but the flight attendant was pretty much nasty and looked miserable. Every question was curt. An hour out she started her witch hunt for the headphones and I pretended to be asleep so I know she would have the satisfaction of ripping them off my head so at the last second I opened my eyes and said "HOLA!". She wasn't amused, nor was I.

Food was good, chicken breast with sweet potato mash and green beans. The salad was all lettuce, horrible . The nuts that came with my first two of five Tito's were: cold, pressed together, mushy, and crumbled.

Other than that I'm in a good mood.
My understanding is that international flights (non-Europe) arrive at Terminal 4 South in Madrid.
If you were connecting to M gates, the M gates are in the same building as Terminal 4 South.
So something got lost in translation there as you did not need to take any train. You just needed to go one level down to the M gates.

As far as the lounge, for European/schengen destinations, you needed to go to the main Terminal 4 to the "DALI" lounge, yes with the train. It is very quick and the Lounge is 4 levels up from the train station.

I like MAD airport better than LHR. Once you get to know it you may end up liking it too.

VSLover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.