Wiki Posts
Search

Power availability?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Power availability?

I haven't flown AA in quite a while so I'm not familiar what there current aircraft has regarding power at the seats.
LAX - LIH on a Airbus A321neo and LIH - PHX (same plane)
Does this plane have any power available for either laptop or a USB connection to power mobile devices?
Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I believe the only mainline aircraft lacking power is the A320. Everything else should have power - latest reports I've seen show that all LUS A321s have been updated to the new common 321 config (which includes power and USB). The 321neo and LAA 321s have had power since original delivery.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Yes, all A321neos have power, all LAA A321ceos have power, and most (and possibly all at this point) LUS A321s now have power.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I believe the only mainline aircraft lacking power is the A320. Everything else should have power - latest reports I've seen show that all LUS A321s have been updated to the new common 321 config. The 321neo and LAA 321s have had power since original delivery.
All LUS A320s have power.
aamilesslave likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
And are we talking 110 conventional "plug" power?
Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I flew DFW - JFK on a 737MAX and I was surprised there was no USB charger. It did have a 110V outlet. And this was in the First Class.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by pkerr
And are we talking 110 conventional "plug" power?
Yes.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by srikp
I flew DFW - JFK on a 737MAX and I was surprised there was no USB charger. It did have a 110V outlet. And this was in the First Class.
I wonder if that is because USB is long in the tooth technology wise? Instead of picking the latest version, maybe they are just doing electrical outlets which are universal? Of course, it also seems universal that airplane electrical outlets are so worn out, the chargers fall out.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by cssmd27
I wonder if that is because USB is long in the tooth technology wise? Instead of picking the latest version, maybe they are just doing electrical outlets which are universal? Of course, it also seems universal that airplane electrical outlets are so worn out, the chargers fall out.
What would be a better idea is if the USB ports were a component that could be easily swapped as the technology changes instead of requiring a complete change of the seat or seatback. I can't remember if the OASIS design has that or not.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: Some/Most/All
Bulkhead? ISTR that the MAX doesn't have USB power for the bulkhead F seats.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I was in row 1 on an A321 a few days ago and there was a 110v plug under the armrest but no USB. However I was curious and did look at the seat behind me, and there was a USB in the seatback. So the absense of USB may only be for bulkhead rows. Given a choice of course I'd prefer 110 because I can always convert 110 to USB but not the reverse.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
What would be a better idea is if the USB ports were a component that could be easily swapped as the technology changes instead of requiring a complete change of the seat or seatback. I can't remember if the OASIS design has that or not.
We don't know that they aren't swappable. And no one can entirely predict the future but a LOT of devices rely on USB-A, but also, 110VAC has been around for all of our lifetimes, and if something replaces USB-A we can very likely get a pocket-sized adapter. A few years ago I bought an external AC battery to power my laptop; it's about the size of a 25oz can of beer and weighs about the same, cost in the high 2 figures, and I'm extremely happy to not have to carry it anymore. Or to even feel like it's an absolute must that I get fully powered up before I board. It's been about 30 years since I started traveling with a laptop computer (they were way larger in those days and IIRC I inherited it from a senior member of my consulting team who had the juice to get one for himself but when he quit of course he couldn't take it with him), and it took them almost all this time to provide reliable onboard power. I'm pretty happy where things are at now power-wise. Of course I travel with a notebook and phone, but I don't own a tablet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.