Search

$306 J -> F on LAX - JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
$306 J -> F on LAX - JFK

• Flying LAX - JFK @ 8am, two hour layover in JFK, then JFK - LHR, all in J
  • Can upgrade just LAX - JFK to F for $306 (JFK - LHR is like $900)
Thoughts? To me, benefits are better seat LAX - JFK, and then FFD in JFK. It'd be breakfast onboard LAX - JFK, which I can't imagine differs much J to F.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by golfer20
Thoughts? To me, benefits are better seat LAX - JFK, and then FFD in JFK. It'd be breakfast onboard LAX - JFK, which I can't imagine differs much J to F.
I'd go for it just based on FFD access in JFK and better privacy onboard LAX-JFK. Breakfast onboard will pretty much be identical to J (with better wines). These J>F A321T upgrade offers are some of the lowest I've ever seen. I saw one two weeks ago JFK-SFO for $282!

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
One additional thought: having a full dinner and drinks in FFD will pretty much get you ready to sleep the entire JFK-LHR flight as soon as the wheels are up and you and skip all the inflight service.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
One additional thought: having a full dinner and drinks in FFD will pretty much get you ready to sleep the entire JFK-LHR flight as soon as the wheels are up and you and skip all the inflight service.

-FlyerBeek
Exactly what I am thinking. Stuff yourself at FFD, take a dump, then shower. A few more champagne and you are ready to sleep through the flight.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by golfer20
At least very least, upgrade LAX-JFK. For ~$300, just do it, and don't look back. That's less than a Y domestic midcon flight in many cases.

If you do F on LAX-JFK (A321T) and J on JFK-LHR (77W), you'll have solo seats the whole way, as opposed to paired J seats (2x2 on the A321).

I see more limited value in upgrading JFK-LHR if you're already getting JFK FFD from the LAX-JFK F ticket and are price conscious and planning to sleep most of the flight anyway. However, if price is less of an issue (additional $600 is still relatively reasonable on one of AA's most premium routes), it never hurts to be in the top cabin on the aircraft.

Last edited by metallo; Jan 23, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:49 pm

Tough Call

For me , it’s a tough call .You are already in a flat bed seat for the entire itinerary. Is the added privacy of F on LAX-JFk worth it ? Only you can answer that question. Is the FFD worth the upgrade fee ? For me , I would be very tempted to stay in J and enjoy a meal at Bobby Van’s at JFK. Don’t know if you have Priority Pass but you can use it for a discount at Bobby Van’s . Even if you spent 150-200 at Bobby Van’s , you come out ahead of the upgrade price . I appreciate FFD but given the fee , I would prefer a steak and sides and a bottle of wine /cocktails over FFD .
As always , YMMV .
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
For me , it’s a tough call .You are already in a flat bed seat for the entire itinerary. Is the added privacy of F on LAX-JFk worth it ? Only you can answer that question. Is the FFD worth the upgrade fee ? For me , I would be very tempted to stay in J and enjoy a meal at Bobby Van’s at JFK. Don’t know if you have Priority Pass but you can use it for a discount at Bobby Van’s . Even if you spent 150-200 at Bobby Van’s , you come out ahead of the upgrade price . I appreciate FFD but given the fee , I would prefer a steak and sides and a bottle of wine /cocktails over FFD .
As always , YMMV .
Interesting point... for me, the premium of FFD over something like Bobby Van's would be the views if you choose to sit against the glass in JFK FFD (especially during the day and near sunset) but also the fact that you might get the advantage of in-club AA premium services like an agent coming over to you to assist in the event of a delay/cancellation, or even the possibility of other things (not necessarily guaranteed) like a cart ride to your gate, first/last boarding, ability to leave your stuff at an FFD table and go explore the airport (mentioned by several other members here as being allowed), etc.

If I wanted to people-watch, I'd do a Priority Pass terminal restaurant. If I want privacy/distance, like I usually do these days, I want FFD.

BTW, if you're drinking LPGS or sipping Johnnie Blue in FFD, your bill for doing the same at a terminal restaurant could certainly exceed the J-->F fare difference (if you can even find a bar serving the stuff), especially considering the recent case posted here.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
As always , YMMV .
I'd also add to the above that, if you're a solo traveler, the decision to upgrade from J to F on the 77W should certainly take into account whether you're getting a window seat to yourself or sharing a middle seat with someone you don't know. I'd prefer a 77W J solo window seat vs. an F middle seat. At least the A321T is solo window/aisle access for all F seats (which might also make you choose J middle pairs vs. F solo seats on the A321T if traveling as a couple/with family).

I'm assuming the OP is a solo traveler in this case. Forget the F upgrade on JFK-LHR if only middles are left if you're flying solo, and just grab a J window.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:56 am

I'd definitely skip the $900 JFK-LHR upgrade. I can sleep just as well in 77W J as I can in F (especially in the mini-J cabin) and that flight is far too short (only 6hrs in the air this time of year) to justify that buy-up in my opinion. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
me... would probably would not do either. .. I can have a better meal/drinks for the cost of the upgrades... and besides my experience with
F on internationals has been very much below par.. both the soft and hard product...
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Flying solo I would take it on LAX-JFK for the direct aisle access (it's an even more obvious call for me on the redeye). FFD is a nice bonus. Would not pay up for the TATL.
renila likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Thanks for all the comments - So, I tried to do the upgrade, and got an error message after inputting credit card info. Called AA, and the agent couldn't see the offer. Will try again in a few days.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
If you drink and have a big appetite, the benefit you will get from FFD will outweigh the price to upgrade. I was in FFD two days ago, and the food was superb. I checked out the FL selections post meal, and honestly, nothing really appealed to me. I'm sure the options would've been fine, but there was clearly a giant difference in FFD vs the normal lounge food. Also, for what its worth, the difference to go from J-F at purchase on a paid ticket is a lot greater than the upgrade offer you are receiving.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: AA PPro
Put me down for yes on the A321T leg also. Direct aisle access during your daytime flight, FFD is much quieter than the FL at JFK. Not having to pay for the TATL leg to get those perks on your connection is a win-win in my book.
metallo likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Depending on when you are flying, the FFD at LAX might be open, given that the Flagship Lounge at LAX is set to reopen on 1/26.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.