Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FCO to CLT to JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:41 am
Original Poster

FCO to CLT to JFK

Question, Im looking to use AA miles to fly family of 3 business from FCO to TPA, (short miles for this route). Finding it for 92.5k ea if I fly this route FCO to CLT to JFK. This will deplete almost all my miles. Will the system let me book with $$ from CLT to TPA? So I wouldn’t be continuing to JFK, grab our bags and checkin again for TPA.

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:50 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If your plan is to get off in CLT and not continue to JFK, I would not book a CLT-TPA route if it conflicts with the CLT-JFK leg. The booking engine could catch that and cancel the flight due to the conflict.
The other potential issue with your plan is if there is some kind of IRROPS in FCO, you could be sent directly to JFK since that's your final destination on the ticket.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Lgh34609
Question, Im looking to use AA miles to fly family of 3 business from FCO to TPA, (short miles for this route). Finding it for 92.5k ea if I fly this route FCO to CLT to JFK. This will deplete almost all my miles. Will the system let me book with $$ from CLT to TPA? So I wouldn’t be continuing to JFK, grab our bags and checkin again for TPA.

Thanks
The system will let you book the separate CLT-TPA flights, however on the day of departure you run a risk of it getting cancelled due to the overlapping booking.

That said, on int'l itineraries you have up to 24 hours to connect, so are there any options for FCO-CLT-NYC with an overnight connection in CLT? If you did that then the CLT-TPA wouldn't be conflicting with anything (technically speaking).
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The system will let you book the separate CLT-TPA flights, however on the day of departure you run a risk of it getting cancelled due to the overlapping booking.

That said, on int'l itineraries you have up to 24 hours to connect, so are there any options for FCO-CLT-NYC with an overnight connection in CLT? If you did that then the CLT-TPA wouldn't be conflicting with anything (technically speaking).

I did find a 29 hour layover with a next morning flight. So, land at 1450 and depart at 1630 you think would be ok? We have global entry so not worried about 1.5 hour.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
FCO-CLT-JFK is less miles than just FCO-CLT, let alone FCO-CLT-TPA? seems like a wild way to structure award pricing. Maybe I'm just used to BA where each leg is priced separately and added together.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Lgh34609
I did find a 29 hour layover with a next morning flight. So, land at 1450 and depart at 1630 you think would be ok? We have global entry so not worried about 1.5 hour.
Since you cannot find reasonably-priced award space from FCO to TPA, have you looked at award destinations other than JFK? How about FCO-XXX-MIA/ORD/PHL/DFW/MCO/SRQ/FLL/RSW/GNV? If you can get to someplace in Florida, you might find it worthwhile just to do a one-way car rental rather than book a separate flight.

Since award bookings are now fully refundable, if you do book FCO-CLT-JFK, I would regularly check for a better, cheaper routing. And you could also call AA a few days before your departure from FCO and ask if they can just lop off the CLT-JFK segment for no additional miles if no better award routing has opened up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.