This thread just changed lanes.......
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Coming to a post near you....

Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by david55
Wow....Are AA FT members as heartless as this thread implies. Give the OP a break.... he already said he works in a small community and feels the need to stay the course and not vacation. I can't answer for AA but I certainly would show a bit more respect to the DRs and nurses who are working their butts off to save your lives.
Doctors and Nurses are Health Care Workers. A very small subsect are also First Responders (Life Flight Nurses would be a good example). Real First Responders (Fire Fighters, Paramedics and Law Enforcement) take offense to other Health Care Workers claiming that they are "First Responders". Think along the lines of a draftee who did not serve in war trying to claim the honors of a Combat Veteran, same thing. Those in the medical community know this and are shunned professionally when they are caught trying to claim this distinction.

The Merriam-Webster definition is as follows:

Definition of first responder

: a person (such as a police officer or an EMT) who is among those responsible for going immediately to the scene of an accident or emergency to provide assistance.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...st%20responder
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by david55
Wow....Are AA FT members as heartless as this thread implies. Give the OP a break.... he already said he works in a small community and feels the need to stay the course and not vacation. I can't answer for AA but I certainly would show a bit more respect to the DRs and nurses who are working their butts off to save your lives.
That's great that the OP feels an ethical obligation. Should AA grant exceptions to everyone who feels an ethical obligation not to travel? Why is the OP's ethical obligation more important than anyone else's? I just don't think the OP has made a compelling case for a refund. And AA evidently (partially) agrees.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plat, AA 2 million miler,Concierge Key, BA Ex Gold, One World Emerald
Please someone shut this down....
knit-in likes this.

Last edited by Donk93953; Jan 13, 2022 at 2:16 pm
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
My two cents… I am a paramedic with 33 years in the field and have had to to work 3,4 or 5 24 hr shifts in a row. That’s being said, I also take vacations and I am on 5 day vacation as I type this. I work for a small community Hospital district that runs ambulances in the 911 system. And no, ER docs are not first responders. And I applaud all of the people that have gone into work during this pandemic.
SJOGuy, LETTERBOY and boerne like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I am a teacher and a mandated reporter. I expect no-questions-asked refunds for as long as covid is endemic, from AA and all airlines.
knit-in, PresRDC and david55 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I also understand that the government was not required to bailout AA. Or do you have extra information showing that contract whereby the federal government is required to give AA, a publicly traded corporation on the Nasdaq, taxpayer money?
What does one have to do with the other? The government chose to bail out AA. It's possible that internally, for various PR reasons, that influenced AA's decisions to provide some unpublished benefits to travelers above and beyond their already-loosened 2020 rules related to covid.

I'm not an AA apologist...I just think OP comes off pretty entitled towards an airline that has already extended quite a bit of courtesy. Believe me - I'll happily criticize any US airline when they're being awful, which they are on many occasions.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:23 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
To the OP, I hope the CK/AA line helps out with a refund or future flight credit. Keep us posted on the outcome. 4k is not a small sum to give up, and hope they extend it for future flights.
knit-in and boerne like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I find it is pretentious of you, and you are being offensive.
What's the longest stretch you ever worked 18 hour days? For other people's benefit? How many lives have you saved in your career?
In what way do you appreciate healthcare workers? It sure feels like you don't.
I'm sorry that you feel that way. I prefer not to parade about my charitable contributions, particularly on Internet message boards, nor do I owe you an explanation of how I value healthcare workers and their contributions.

I do still stand by my reasoning that the OP ought to be able to fly a ticket within a year and that, perhaps most importantly, it is factually incorrect to state that some government official has ordered him to work 24x7.
I agree it would be nice it AA would refund his wife's ticket. I also think they're well within reason not to do so. I certainly hope OP gets resolution to his or her satisfaction but I am advising to change the tone and content of responses to make such resolution more likely.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I am a teacher and a mandated reporter. I expect no-questions-asked refunds for as long as covid is endemic, from AA and all airlines.
You might not want to give taxpayers any ideas
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
I'm a sales rep and yes I'd like a PDB prior to takeoff please.
vasantn, fdog, Mr. Vker and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:53 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by EncFlyer
Doctors and Nurses are Health Care Workers. A very small subsect are also First Responders (Life Flight Nurses would be a good example). Real First Responders (Fire Fighters, Paramedics and Law Enforcement) take offense to other Health Care Workers claiming that they are "First Responders". Think along the lines of a draftee who did not serve in war trying to claim the honors of a Combat Veteran, same thing. Those in the medical community know this and are shunned professionally when they are caught trying to claim this distinction.

The Merriam-Webster definition is as follows:

Definition of first responder

: a person (such as a police officer or an EMT) who is among those responsible for going immediately to the scene of an accident or emergency to provide assistance.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...st%20responder
I think we are conflating "frontline healthcare worker" and "first responder" here. I doubt OP is saying he is the one that first encounters a COVID patient, but he sure is carrying a huge burden taking care of them in the hospital. I'm not sure that makes him any less worthy of our praise than the EMT that brought the patient to the hospital in the first place. Also, a lot of these covid patients first interacted with the health care system after walking in the ER, does that make the first person that saw them a first responder? lets not lose the forest for the trees here. Your defense of who is a "first responder" seems misguided in this scenario
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by exmike
I think we are conflating "frontline healthcare worker" and "first responder" here. I doubt OP is saying he is the one that first encounters a COVID patient, but he sure is carrying a huge burden taking care of them in the hospital. I'm not sure that makes him any less worthy of our praise than the EMT that brought the patient to the hospital in the first place. Also, a lot of these covid patients first interacted with the health care system after walking in the ER, does that make the first person that saw them a first responder? lets not lose the forest for the trees here. Your defense of who is a "first responder" seems misguided in this scenario
Words have meanings. This thread was the first time I had ever heard of a surgical nurse being referred to as a first responder.
EncFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:59 pm

Well, heck, me too! They tagged me, or my profession, as “essential” workers. As such, I too will exercise my refund in cash on demand for as long as this en(pan)demic persists. Why not? Not gonna be a chump here.
GrumpyYoungMan and js1993 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.