Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PDBs Coming Back? (anecdotes, experiences)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDBs Coming Back? (anecdotes, experiences)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Truly pathetic behavior. I'd have written to AA about this. If they react this immaturely to a simple PDB request, imagine how they'd react during an actual incident.
It's completely pathetic. Problem if we speak back or say or mind we're off the flight. That's it. No win situation.

At the very least I would have gotten his name and wrote AA with the details of this person's actions.
on-a-stick likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Beginning to get the sense that the mainline FAs see refusing PDB service as a noble act of solidarity with their peers.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
Truly pathetic behavior. I'd have written to AA about this. If they react this immaturely to a simple PDB request, imagine how they'd react during an actual incident.
Ahh yes, the power-tripping FA. Definitely report (not that it will do any good.)
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by michaelaeaston
321. No PDB. Two FA's greeted passengers who were boarding. Shortly after the door closed the captain made welcome announcements, including that the lavatories were not working and would only work when the aircraft was above 16,000 feet. Tremendous weather delays causing us to not push back as the ramp closed. Sat on plane for almost two hours. After maybe 90 minutes there was a pass of lukewarm water in cups. At the two hour mark passengers were deplaned. At re-boarding no PDB either. Repeat of first boarding where FAs greeted passengers. One passenger did ask if the FAs were being paid during these irregular operations and she said that yes they were.

Question. Is this laziness? Is this the lavatory issue preventing service? Why during the length wait before deplaning did the crew do no service up front other than that pass of cups of water? Genuinely curious here.
I am more curious about the 16,000 feet part.
What happens at 16,000 feet?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Does AA have an official PDB policy?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:50 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
6/26 PHX-TUS mainline on an A321 with 20 in F. Everyone was offered a PDB by Richard the first class FA despite it being a very short flight.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by S80
Which regional was this? I've noticed PDBs are always served on Envoy, but with Republic it can be mostly misses. (I don't fly the others enough currently to be able to comment on them specifically)
Mesa.

The FA pair were quite memorable. Husband FA had what seemed to be a fairly biting accent, maybe South African. Wife FA sounded American. The whole experience was very odd.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by mvoight
Does AA have an official PDB policy?
Can't remember but somewhere AA indicated they should be done, however, FAs have some discretion. For example if a flight is running late and they're trying to get off the gate as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, the "discretion" of many FAs is not do them at all or like the FA I had the other day (although it was Republic) that would only give out warm water-no ice.

A lot of it is "culture" which starts at the top.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: Some/Most/All
6/29: PHX-TUS, OO E75. No PDB offered and I didn't ask.

TUS-DFW, 321. Open bar, cheerful service.

1/2 on the day, but at least the 'right' flight got the PDBs.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
AA4670 ATL-LGA 7/4 - No PDB offered (not even water) notwithstanding an easily on time boarding and very light load factor (2 F seats went out empty with no one on the upgrade list). GA berated us for arriving at t-25 "y'all must not want to go to LGA today!" (Would have arrived earlier if 4670 didn't depart from D while the only AC is located in T, though maybe not if we knew the FAs planned to shirk service...)
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:43 am

ORD-LAS
No PDB.

To make matters worse the FAs were loudly talking about the colorado avalanche during boarding and i saw no reason why there was no PDB during the whole boarding except they were engulfed in their conversation. Catering looked all loaded.

To make it extremely annoying they announced as we were waiting to take off that some bumps were expected heading west and we will delay service for a while until it was CLEARLY safe. They emphasized clearly. It took 1.5 hours for them to serve a drink. Maybe a tad longer. Truly a situation where a PDB would have been extra nice for guests! The ironic part is we didn't even hit a single minor bump. Smooth as silk. Kept waiting for nothing. People were using the restrooms and they still refused to serve drinks. I heard a guy ask like an hour in and he got a real attitude. They just refused to service. I don't blame them for staying seated, weather happens, but they could have done a PDB even WATER instead of discussing the NHL playoffs! If you expect possible turbulence or something to delay service, they really should try to do a PDB. The dinner was all rushed and thrown at us. Ironically the smoothest flight, not a single bump. It seemed very much like the FAs were just not in the mood to work that day. They had a ok service is over attitude the whole flight and it was really bizarre to see, to make matters worse those 737 FC seats on AA are terrible.

I've read these stories but this was the first time ive seen a crew set on minimal anything. Never really had this experience before. Thought it was everyone being dramatic and exaggerating. Ironically on my Eagle EMB175 flight before this connecting, the flight attendant dude was super nice, fast, and very helpful to everyone. Got a PDB on my EMB175 flight and the opposite experience.

Last edited by lunchtime; Jul 5, 2022 at 3:10 am
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I've have had 8 domestic F legs in the last month:

DFW-PSP ---> Water and OJ offered
PSP-DFW ---> Nothing
DFW-GSP --> Full PDB service
DFW-OKC --> Water
DFW-PHL --> Water, and that was only after we sat on the plane about 20 minutes after boarding, waiting for maintenance to do paperwork (which took a full hour to complete).
MHT-DCA --> Water
DFW-STL --> Water
STL-DFW--> Water
--------------
Not impressed.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage
2 flights yesterday. MIA/TPA no PBDs from a young crew despite sitting at the gate for an additional 15 minutes. Nothing in the air as the kids were way to engrossed in their phone screen to care. TPA/ORD 2 older FAs, one did PDBs despite a late boarding and swimming up stream the entire time. Excellent service in the air.

Based upon recent experience I'm coming to the belief that it's the younger FAs that think their job description is to make a few announcements and play with their phone during the flight.
on-a-stick likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by EXP100
2 flights yesterday. MIA/TPA no PBDs from a young crew despite sitting at the gate for an additional 15 minutes. Nothing in the air as the kids were way to engrossed in their phone screen to care. TPA/ORD 2 older FAs, one did PDBs despite a late boarding and swimming up stream the entire time. Excellent service in the air.

Based upon recent experience I'm coming to the belief that it's the younger FAs that think their job description is to make a few announcements and play with their phone during the flight.
Was your MIA-TPA Eagle or mainline? I've actually had fantastic experiences with younger FAs on Eagle in the past few months with PDBs offered, multiple passes for drinks/snacks, and very pleasant service. I haven't had any PDBs on my mainline fights, however.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by mvoight
I am more curious about the 16,000 feet part.
What happens at 16,000 feet?
The vacuum system starts working (very few ac with this issue, but it is an issue)
on-a-stick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.