Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PDBs Coming Back? (anecdotes, experiences)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDBs Coming Back? (anecdotes, experiences)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
It's not worth being outraged at something like this that's been going on for at least the 22+ years I've been an AA elite frequent flyer.
vasantn, _kurt, FAA1996 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
It's not worth being outraged at something like this that's been going on for at least the 22+ years I've been an AA elite frequent flyer.
This. I save my outrage for things that really matter. What the OP is describing is a mild annoyance; less annoying than, say, getting dog poop on your shoe.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Also, they only stock like 3 single malts. If they're gone before departure, then what do I do
Stoop to drinking bourbon, I guess. What a rough world we live in
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Ultimately it's part of the product. If you went to a restaurant that had a buffet and inquired why there were no desserts out would you settle on the server just not wanting to go through the "hassle" of putting them out?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
AA has always had a sizable groups of FAs who absolutely refuse to serve a PDB. It's always been that way. It may not be the majority, but it's a large enough population to be self-perpetuating. Moreover, AA management doesn't seem to understand that happy employees means happy customers. It seems to me that AA management tosses a bone to the FAs by taking it off our plate, not theirs. AA says that PDBs are required, but *wink*, *wink*, we won't enforce it so here's your bone.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Catbert10
AA has always had a sizable groups of FAs who absolutely refuse to serve a PDB. It's always been that way. It may not be the majority, but it's a large enough population to be self-perpetuating. Moreover, AA management doesn't seem to understand that happy employees means happy customers. It seems to me that AA management tosses a bone to the FAs by taking it off our plate, not theirs. AA says that PDBs are required, but *wink*, *wink*, we won't enforce it so here's your bone.
A couple of points:
1. True, but the number not serving PDBs has grown much larger since the restart. I think many "on the fence" just want to use "safety" as a reason knowing that management will accept that excuse. I exempt late boarding flights.
2. Management doesn't care about "happy customers." Management is concerned about running a credit card mill that generates enough cc applications to keep it's cc partners happy-the group (not the passengers) that now keeps AA in business.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanisrox69
Why are we still accepting no pre-flight beverage in Business class?

Why are more people not outraged at this?
What are your options if you choose not to accept it? Switch to another airline (where the situation may be the same)? Only fly in economy? Stop flying altogether?

Domestic first class is about what I would expect for something that is mostly given away for free to people with status. I gladly accept my free upgrades to the more comfortable seat. I don't pay for F unless if the price difference is minimal (which it almost never is) or if there is a lie-flat because the quality of the product does not justify paying a lot.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:05 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Antarius
Also, they only stock like 3 single malts. If they're gone before departure, then what do I do
Politeness precludes me from telling what alternatives are at your disposal Dear.

Apart from complaining here - do any of you tell the woman who is in charge of inflight services - excuse me if her name slips my mind ? If they get enough of these then maybe something might happen. One needs flights, dates and names and the reason given for not doing them. The only reason that they get away with this nonsense is that no one dares challenge them.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

On a positive note, I flew the Dreamliner from DFW to LAX last week in J and got not just one PBD but two! We had a mechanical delay at the gate and out came warm nuts and a second round with a great big smile. For a minute I wondered if perhaps I was being punked! In reality, it was just an awesome hard-working FA. She was warm, considerate, kind, and happy to accommodate every request. Even thanked each passenger by name on final. The fruit and cheese plate was also delicious! Felt like a Flagship service.

We all love to complain on this forum when things go wrong (I'm might be the worst offender), so it's important to call out when things go very right!
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:55 pm

MIA-GRU - nothing even with a 20 min delay but the 5 flight attendants in the galley were having a good time!
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
There was a glimmer of hope recently but it now looks to be extinguished. A couple of weeks ago I got PDBs on all flights of a round trip to NYC. This week, on three flights over as many days, no PDB. In fact, on the last DFW-AUS leg there was no service whatsoever in first class. Basically just a Big Front Seat.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
In F from LHR-JFK got offered PDB. The rather surly FA even offered a second round to the lady across from me but just swanned past me. Was t particularly thirsty anyway…

In F from JFK-SFO nothing offered. Again wasn’t thirsty after 4 hours in lounge and crew was great.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles DM, Hertz President Circle, Enterprise Platinum, IHG, BW Diamond Select, AA EXP
Tuesday 4/4…MKE-PHX. PDB was water, OJ or coffee on 7am flight. I asked FA for a tomato juice, was told that only could get water, OJ or coffee…he would be happy to get me a tomato juice once in the air. Said not thanks…I was good then.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
MIA-GRU - nothing even with a 20 min delay but the 5 flight attendants in the galley were having a good time!
The most corrupt, lazy FAs have worked that route and MIA-EZE for literally decades. Nothing I hear about either segment surprises me at all.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
CUN-DFW - A321 - PDB of choice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.