Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Highly likely a person in a bathroom during landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Earlier this month we flew HNL to DFW on a 777 in the first row of PE. Business class had zodiac seats so I could see seat 10D. I saw the woman get up with her purse about 5 minutes before landing. I personally started getting really nervous and anxious as the landing gear came down and the buildings came into view and she wasn't back yet. As we landed, I watched her half glass of water slide gently forward and amazingly NOT spill a drop or slide off the arm-shelf (I'm kicking myself for not taking a video!). As we are taxiing to the gate, I see her come sit down and the FA make an announcement that everyone needed to be in their seats. As we deplaned, I hear FA 1 ask FA 2 if "she" was in the bathroom during landing and FA 2 said no (but no mention of "she was in another seat" so I think FA 2 was wrong). I paused to give FA 2 some certs because she went above and beyond in finding space for every last cabin bag. Me and 10D lady then exited (she did not say a word and very likely would have overheard FA 1 yelling to FA 2).

Crazy experience for me and I am convinced she was in the bathroom during landing. Another reason no one noticed might be because someone did not pick up all drinkware before landing. I believe 10D had a lady travel companion in 10H as they spoke a couple times but I did not see any reaction between the two after landing.

Anyone think she could have been sitting somewhere else? Is there protocol to check bathrooms before landing?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by carla568
Earlier this month we flew HNL to DFW on a 777 in the first row of PE. Business class had zodiac seats so I could see seat 10D. I saw the woman get up with her purse about 5 minutes before landing. I personally started getting really nervous and anxious as the landing gear came down and the buildings came into view and she wasn't back yet. As we landed, I watched her half glass of water slide gently forward and amazingly NOT spill a drop or slide off the arm-shelf (I'm kicking myself for not taking a video!). As we are taxiing to the gate, I see her come sit down and the FA make an announcement that everyone needed to be in their seats. As we deplaned, I hear FA 1 ask FA 2 if "she" was in the bathroom during landing and FA 2 said no (but no mention of "she was in another seat" so I think FA 2 was wrong). I paused to give FA 2 some certs because she went above and beyond in finding space for every last cabin bag. Me and 10D lady then exited (she did not say a word and very likely would have overheard FA 1 yelling to FA 2).

Crazy experience for me and I am convinced she was in the bathroom during landing. Another reason no one noticed might be because someone did not pick up all drinkware before landing. I believe 10D had a lady travel companion in 10H as they spoke a couple times but I did not see any reaction between the two after landing.

Anyone think she could have been sitting somewhere else? Is there protocol to check bathrooms before landing?
I have seen several instances of all service items not being collected before landing. Not common, but it happens. Protocol for checking lavs - I suspect there is, but then again, it is a procedure that could be missed. Taking another seat for landing - possible. (I was once on a QF intra-AU flight where the FAs asked me to be seated in a jump seat when exiting the rear lavs due to severe unexpected turbulence. I was gratefiul, as it turned out I would never have made it back to my seat on my own feet - it was about the worst I have been in.) But by the end of day, was there any damage or injury in this instance?
xanthuos and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

No damage or injury as far as I saw.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've been on a flight where this happened a while back: MIA to SCL in J, senior with limited mobility got up to use bathroom a minute or so before landing. FA saw this and realized there was no way to get pax back to seat before landing, so she opened the lav door and told the pax to hold on. Pax landed in bathroom and did not exit until taxiing to gate.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 7:04 pm

Usually, I see the FA's lock the bathroom doors (from the outside) about 10 minutes or more before landing. But, if a passenger is already in the bathroom, the FA might not realize it was occupied and assume that some other FA already locked that door.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I've landed with a pax in the lav 3-4 times. NBD. The FAs can hardly break down the door while the aircraft is descending through 500 feet.
Spiff, bgasser, SEA777GUY and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I don't recall an injury in the bathroom during landing or takeoff..

I'm beginning to think a bathroom is safer than a seat at least the full overheads don't come down on you in that cocoon.

The real risk is the walk to your seat
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Was the bathroom OK?
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Was the bathroom OK?
Nothing to indicate that the bathroom was harmed.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Earlier this month I landed in the bathroom - about 25 minutes before landing my stomach decided that it needed to empty. I sat in excruciating pain for about 10 minutes and eventually couldn’t stand it any longer so explained to the FA what was happening and she told me if I went to the lavatory now I would likely need to land in there. Suffice to say that is what happened. No big deal. There are handles to keep yourself secure. But I hope to not have to do it again any time soon!
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mrow
Earlier this month I landed in the bathroom - about 25 minutes before landing my stomach decided that it needed to empty. I sat in excruciating pain for about 10 minutes and eventually couldn’t stand it any longer so explained to the FA what was happening and she told me if I went to the lavatory now I would likely need to land in there. Suffice to say that is what happened. No big deal. There are handles to keep yourself secure. But I hope to not have to do it again any time soon!
It's weird but I've found that being in a situation like this when you can't use the restroom actually seems to increase my need to use the restroom.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I don’t wish to sound harsh but this really doesn’t seem any of your business. You can’t police what other pax or cabin crew do, and it certainly isn’t something to get nervous or anxious about.
xanthuos and jcmalcolm like this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 6:50 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Woman Quarantined Five Hours in Plane Bathroom After Testing COVID Positive Mid-Flight
https://www.newsweek.com/woman-quara...flight-1664401

While the article doesn't specifically mention her location when the plane landed, she was likely in the bathroom.
Seems like the crew was okay with that.
mrow likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
It's weird but I've found that being in a situation like this when you can't use the restroom actually seems to increase my need to use the restroom.
I totally agree…certainly felt like that with my recent experience!

I always hoped to land sitting forward of row 1 - in my mind I pictured sitting in a jump seat on the flight deck though…not in the lavatory just behind the flight deck
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
usually dont need to use the facilities until that seatbelt sign chimes on as we hit turbulence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.