Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Select bassinet row for last minute flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2021, 2:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

Hello, I have just booked a last minute flight for my daughter, partner and infant using AA miles. The flight departs in less than 48 hours and the row with the bassinet seats are showing as blocked on one side. The AA ticketing agent saids it was under airport control. As they have an infant, is there anyone we may contact who would be able to assign those seats to them prior to check-in? Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Per AA's website, they are only available for assignment at the gate https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...g-children.jsp
Old Dec 30, 2021, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
And since you need a bassinet, you'll get one for sure.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both
Old Dec 30, 2021, 4:34 pm

"You will get one for sure" is about as sure as someone saying "I will respect you in the morning" on a one night sleep over. It is AA and the gate agents are tired and airports are crowded. Good luck AA is not BA which has more class and respect. Hey you guys actully que in line where it is a free for all in the USA.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

The part I didn't understand (and still don't) is that I had selected the bassinet seats for them on the flight I had booked them on later in January. If the policy is that they are handed out at the gate then why was I able to select them for those flights? She has oneworldstatus so can select seats ahead of time but I doubt that includes the bassinet seats. Also, some of the bassinet seats on the flight on 1/1/22 have already been selected suggesting that there is a method to choose them prior to gate assignment.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Centurion
"You will get one for sure" is about as sure as someone saying "I will respect you in the morning" on a one night sleep over. It is AA and the gate agents are tired and airports are crowded. Good luck AA is not BA which has more class and respect. Hey you guys actully que in line where it is a free for all in the USA.
What?
tai4de2, wrp96 and argonath like this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 6:47 pm

The English culture is much more civilized than USA when it comes to transport. In England people que up in line to get on a bus versus USA where it is free for all. The OP will not necessarily get a baby bassinet with AA.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:08 pm

BA will block and allocate those seats for pax traveling with an infant. Aa will likely provide them to whoever asks first, checks in first, especially if they have status. Which for people on a connecting flight could well be before your daughter gets to check-in. It's hit and miss.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
BA will block and allocate those seats for pax traveling with an infant. Aa will likely provide them to whoever asks first, checks in first, especially if they have status. Which for people on a connecting flight could well be before your daughter gets to check-in. It's hit and miss.
She's on a connecting flight. Sadly the connecting flight is not operated by AA so I doubt the agents for the first flight will be able to do anything.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:19 pm

The English culture is much more civilized than USA when it comes to transport. In England people que up in line to get on a bus versus USA where it is free for all. The OP will not necessarily get a baby bassinet with AA.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
And if this happens, you ask the GA at the gate or worst case, the FA and they'll sort it out.

Lot of drama and generalizations here.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
That is a staggering generalisation which is most certainly not true of my experiences in 50 plus trips to the USA...
wrp96, FAA1996 and bgasser like this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Antarius
And since you need a bassinet, you'll get one for sure.
only if someone else doesn't beat them to it. With an infant you don't NEED a bassinet to fly. It is a WANT.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
And if this happens, you ask the GA at the gate or worst case, the FA and they'll sort it out.
Well that didn't work out at all well.

Our daughter and partner and lap infant had selected row 18 with a view to being moved into row 17.

They asked when they arrived at the first airport. Not surprisingly, the agent said to ask at LHR. They asked again at the gate at LHR well before boarding. They asked an FA onboard.

The gate agents said the flight was full and those seats had already been assigned. The FA onboard said that the people in those seats had paid substantially more than my daughter which is not surprising as I used my AA miles to purchase these tickets which were effectively free apart from some taxes/fees.

None of the passengers in row 17 had an infant.

It all seems a bit odd to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.