Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Priority Baggage while traveling w/ Family

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

A couple days ago, my wife, 2 kids and I checked 4 bags for our flight. My wife and I are both AA Platinums. The person who checked our bags said only 2 bags will be labeled priority and our kids 2 bags won’t. I had never run into this before.

Having bags in your group that aren’t marked priority obviously negates the benefit for ones marked priority because you have to wait for all bags to be collected.

how do I avoid this? I just checked-in through the app and was thinking I would just specify 2 bags each for my wife and myself. However, the app only asked for total bags for the group.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Jamal06
A couple days ago, my wife, 2 kids and I checked 4 bags for our flight. My wife and I are both AA Platinums. The person who checked our bags said only 2 bags will be labeled priority and our kids 2 bags won’t. I had never run into this before.

Having bags in your group that aren’t marked priority obviously negates the benefit for ones marked priority because you have to wait for all bags to be collected.

how do I avoid this? I just checked-in through the app and was thinking I would just specify 2 bags each for my wife and myself. However, the app only asked for total bags for the group.
Find a different agent. They're wrong.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jamal06

Every Platinum passenger is entitled to two free checked bags. So in this situation, you are each checking two bags and your kids are checking zero; all four should be priority. So the agent's argument makes no sense even if it were true that being on the same reservation as a Platinum elite didn't confer priority bag delivery.
guv1976 and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Isn't it wonderful when people make up their own rules just because they can? Even more so when doing so gains the airline nothing except ill will from its best customers. Not to mention demonstrating total lack of understanding of the product. Hypothetically if they said that free drinks in MCE were limited to two per elite, so if you have four people on a record with two elites and two non they only get one drink per person, well, there would be some economic rationale. But there, just as noted, having ANY bag for a group of pax traveling together come up late negates the value for the WHOLE party.

Dumbkopf.
enviroian likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
Every Platinum passenger is entitled to two free checked bags. So in this situation, you are each checking two bags and your kids are checking zero; all four should be priority. So the agent's argument makes no sense even if it were true that being on the same reservation as a Platinum elite didn't confer priority bag delivery.
The kids should also get 2 bags each by virtue of being with the platinum's party.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:00 pm

Unhappy people love to make other people unhappy. If this is the worst excrement rolling down hill on you this year life for you is 99.9% better than most people in the world. And yes the counter bag agent was wrong.
enviroian and fdog like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.