Wiki Posts
Search

Official Reason for Flight Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,Alaska,Southwest,United,Delta,JetBlue
Question Official Reason for Flight Cancellation

Is there a way I can get an official reason for a flight cancellation? I had 2 flights cancelled on Nov 1, 2021 for ORD to CLT and CLT to AUA. I did buy trip insurance and they are asking for a reason the flights were cancelled and how long the delay took place (I'm not sure what that means for a cancelled flight.) I've contacted AA customer service - the only contact info I could find is a web portal and I can only submit questions via that way. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
You can get the info from Experflyer, but only a few days after the flight. Not sure anyone has any way to get that info now. I usually take a screenshot of the EF info ti submit with an insurance claim shortly after the delay/cancelation.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Submit the request to Customer Relations through the web portal.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 6:56 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Insurance was probably asking the the length of delay since some flight cancelations can still be rebooked on other available aircraft within hours. In other cases, possibly like yours, it could be a day or more to the point of prompting the passenger to cancel the entire trip.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 11:34 am

Programs: AA-Plat
I am going to guess that the flight numbers are AA1058 connecting to AA1346. Flightradar24 has about 14 days of data (7 past and 7 upcoming) but with a paid silver subscription, you can go back 90 days which may show the flight and cancellation reason.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by danhe2000
Is there a way I can get an official reason for a flight cancellation? I had 2 flights cancelled on Nov 1, 2021 for ORD to CLT and CLT to AUA. I did buy trip insurance and they are asking for a reason the flights were cancelled and how long the delay took place (I'm not sure what that means for a cancelled flight.) I've contacted AA customer service - the only contact info I could find is a web portal and I can only submit questions via that way. Any help would be appreciated.
Try using this link with Topic = Trip Insurance Verification and Subject = Verify Flight/Cancel Delay:

https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=TRP#/
Old Jan 27, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dciolli
Try using this link with Topic = Trip Insurance Verification and Subject = Verify Flight/Cancel Delay:

https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=TRP#/
Any data points on how long this should take? I had a forced overnight due to a mechanical delay and would like to get the Amex trip delay claim submitted but it's been 4 days since I filled out AA's form and all I got is the automated confirmation of submission. Amex (well, AIG) wants AA's proof of mechanical delay and not ExpertFlyer's.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Any data points on how long this should take? I had a forced overnight due to a mechanical delay and would like to get the Amex trip delay claim submitted but it's been 4 days since I filled out AA's form and all I got is the automated confirmation of submission. Amex (well, AIG) wants AA's proof of mechanical delay and not ExpertFlyer's.
Answering my own question. After 5 days, AA sent me a verification -- but it was false, it said weather rather than mechanical:
Thank you for contacting Customer Relations. I'm sorry your plans were disrupted and am pleased to provide the verification you requested.

American Airlines flight 2681, scheduled to operate on January 23, 2022 from Portland to Charlotte, was delayed due to weather. Flight 2681 scheduled to depart 14:32 with an actual departure 17:23. Scheduled arrival 17:07 with an actual arrival time 19:45.

Mr. [PBG], thank you for choosing American Airlines. We look forward to serving your future travel needs.
I replied with a copy of the ExpertFlyer data, resisting the urge to call them a bunch of scheming fraudsters:

Hi,

This information is incorrect. The flight data indicates that this delay was "due to prior maintenance delays" (please see attached). Indeed, all the gate agents and crew were candid that this was a maintenance delay, not weather.

Can you please send the correct information. This was not a weather delay.

Thanks.
Then four days after that, I got what I needed:

Hello Mr. [PBG]:

Thank you for your additional message. We apologize for the incorrect information in our previous response; please review the corrected version below.

American Airlines flight 2681, scheduled to operate on January 23, 2022 from Portland to Charlotte, was delayed due to mechanical issues. Flight 2681 scheduled to depart 14:32 with an actual departure 17:23. Scheduled arrival 17:07 with an actual arrival time 19:45.

Mr. [PBG], we trust this updated version is helpful to you, and regret any inconvenience in view of the error. We hope to welcome you on board again soon!

Quite the operation they're running.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.