Search

STT- ORD-LAX. 45 minutes enough?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
STT- ORD-LAX. 45 minutes enough?

One must go thorough customs, right? How is 45 minutes a valid connection? Or is it pre-clearance, done in STT?

Last edited by zrs70; Dec 20, 2021 at 10:34 pm
Old Dec 20, 2021, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
One must go thorough customs, right? How is 45 minutes a valid connection? Or is it pre-clearance, done in STT?
You will clear Customs at STT. It's technically "pre-departure inspection," not "pre-clearance," since no immigration check is necessary.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:07 am

STT is in the United States so you don't have to "clear customs". If I remember correctly I think there is some sort of inspection before you board, but you will definitely arrive as any other domestic flight does.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:53 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Aliquot
STT is in the United States so you don't have to "clear customs". If I remember correctly I think there is some sort of inspection before you board, but you will definitely arrive as any other domestic flight does.
The US customs zone only includes 50+DC+PR. Traveling between that and all other territories is subject to customs inspection and duties.

For immigration, flying PR-CONUS there are random ID checks and flying from VI-PR/CONUS there is a mandatory ID check.

Unlike GU/MP/AS which have their own customs agencies, VI uses USCBP as its own (like some cities pay the county sheriff for policing). The USCBP collects customs duties from foreign imports on behalf of the VI govt, and also pre-clears VI-PR/CONUS travelers (and duty-free limit is something like $1.6k instead of $800 arriving from foreign points) on behalf of the US govt.

So definitely flights arrive CONUS in a domestic/pre-cleared manner. Just walk to the next gate.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL, UA
I wouldn't do a 45 min connection in ORD. Just took STT-ORD a few days ago and we were nearly an hour late due to headwinds. I'd book the later connection or look at routing through MIA or CLT perhaps.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by nw6338
I wouldn't do a 45 min connection in ORD. Just took STT-ORD a few days ago and we were nearly an hour late due to headwinds. I'd book the later connection or look at routing through MIA or CLT perhaps.
Was your continuing flight from ORD not delayed?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL, UA
ORD is home now so no onward connection
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Was your continuing flight from ORD not delayed?
Headwinds between STT and ORD, wouldn't affect all of the flights out of ORD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.