Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award Miles Posted, but no Elite Qualifying Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2021, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Hey all-

On my most recent trip (this past week), I flew r/t from HEL - JFK, and in the activity section of my profile, the award miles have posted already, which has been the usual case. However, no Elite Qualifying Miles or Dollars have been posted, which is not typical. Has this occurred to anyone else? Is it possible that they will be posted later, or do I need to contact AA regarding this? I know they usually don't respond to missing miles so soon after a flight, but since the award miles already posted, does that rule still apply?

This is a strange occurrence, and I was hoping someone out there had had a similar experience. Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2021, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Is this a basic economy fare? The fare code (B) seems to indicate so. On an AA coded flights, Basic Economy fares are no longer elite-qualifying (do not earn EQMs/EQDs/EQSs). https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

-FlyerBeek
apeortdz and FlyingEgghead like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Basic Economy is showing as O class, from a sample booking on this route. Ticket originates in HEL.
The number of base miles in each direction of 6540 - tells me the value of your ticket is $1308 each direction. excluding taxes. So close to $3K RT.
A basic economy ticket purchased on USA AA site - is around $800 RT total.
And the Bonus miles are a 0.6x multiplier so you are AA Platinum.

Helsinki, Finland to New York, NY
Wednesday, January 12, 2022
5:00 PM
6:45 PM
AA 8985 359-Airbus A350
Operated by Finnair
  • Basic Economy
  • Meals: N/A
  • Booking code: O
  • Class: Basic Economy
1. Did your EQM and EQD increment in your totals (and just not showing in the line item)?
2. I would call AAdvantage desk, something isn't right.
3. It is likely that the AA system thinks it is BE fare and not showing - but your "B" fare is not Basic Economy - ticket price too high.

A note on BE fares from AA site:

^^ Basic Economy fares will be booked in 'B' (marketed and operated by American). For American codeshare flights (marketed by American and operated by British Airways or Iberia or Finnair), Basic Economy fares could be booked in any eligible OA economy fare.

But the ticket price is too high here to be a BE fare. I think it is just AA site can't process the note above and flags it as BE.
FlyerBeek and meechyathere like this.

Last edited by cova; Dec 19, 2021 at 8:48 am
Old Dec 19, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by cova
But the ticket price is too high here to be a BE fare. I think it is just AA site can't process the note above and flags it as BE.
I suspect cova is right regarding the ticket price and fare. If so, I would encourage the OP to be very clear in all correspondance with AA that is was not a basic economy fare. This might eliminate a couple of rounds of back and forth saving time getting these flights posted properly.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 19, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
AA B fares are Basic Economy. Why do we think this wasn't a Basic Economy fare? The price doesn't necessarily mean it's not, especially since it's a codeshare.
FlyingEgghead likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:49 pm

Doing a booking on Travelocity (or AA.com)
Both Basic Economy and Regular Economy show as O class.
Just the BE ticket shows: Fare: Basic Economy $600+
Regular Economy Fare: Main Cabin $800+

A fully refundable ticket shows as Y class and prices out at $3000+ (what the traveler paid)
For many airlines B is just below Y - maybe where ever the ticket was booked overseas - it came out as refundable B fare.

Surprised that B fares in AA are ordered between Y and H. But this could be because for UA and others B fare is a discounted full fare, refundable ticket. Looking in Expert Flyer here.

Concluded that you can have very expensive Basic Economy Fares on International Carriers for last minute ticket purchases.

Last edited by cova; Dec 19, 2021 at 5:32 pm
Old Dec 19, 2021, 5:18 pm

Looking at Fare codes on Expert Flyer. Lots of B booking classes for HEL to JFK:
ONN4C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 351.00(USD) E V / 12M 14
QNN7C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 414.00(USD) E V / 12M 07
NNN0C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 482.00(USD) E V / 12M
LNN7C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 821.00(USD) E V / 12M 07
MNN0C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 961.00(USD) E V / 12M
KNN0C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 1108.00(USD) E V / 12M
HNN0C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 1391.00(USD) E V / 12M
BNN0C0B4 AA B Round-Trip 1957.00(USD) E -- / 12M
BNN0C0M4 AA Y Round-Trip 2092.00(USD) E-- / 12M
Y1N0C0S0 AA Y Round-Trip 2635.00(USD) E -- / 12M

I suspect the flyer was on the 3rd from last one. Not included in the fare here is the Carrier Imposed Charges (Fee) which does count toward EQD.
But it appears to be a very expensive 3 day advance purchase BASIC ECONOMY fare.
Looks like for $135 more RT - you could have a Y fare.
But I am concluding you are on a Basic Economy.
You can contact AA for clarification but don't be disappointed.

Some Fare rules for the bolded one: BNN0C0B4
ECONOMY HAND BAGGAGE ONLY FARES
/ZERO BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE MUST BE DISCLOSED TO
CUSTOMER/
THE ORIGINAL AND THE REISSUED TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED

- NONREF/BASIC - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX.

It is these two that is making me hedge:

The first letter of the Fare Basis Code BNN0C0B4 or BNN0C0M4 is generally what shows as the booking code, in both cases B.

The B or Y (after AA) is the Booking Class.
B is Basic
Y is Main Cabin

The difference between the two is B or M which is the second from last character in the Fare Basis, which is either B for Basic or M for Main cabin in this cases.

So if your fare basis is the BNN0C0M4 - it may show as booked in B but really is a Main Cabin the way Fin Air does it.
It this is the case - AA may be picking it up a Basic Economy - even though their could be a B fare code in Main Cabin.
I think it is work a call to AA - unless you still have a copy of the ticket receipt which may show the Fare Basis.

I am looking at the 14 day advanced purchase fares that both show as O for both Basic and Main.

ONN4C8M4 AA O Round-Trip 486.00(USD) E V / 12M 14

Same thing here - O is the Fare code in both cases and the B or M being Basic or Main Cabin.

The ticketed person here - has a 3 day advance purchase fare what what I can tell.

Last edited by cova; Dec 19, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:40 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Looking at Fare codes on Expert Flyer. Lots of B booking classes for HEL to JFK:
QNN7C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 414.00(USD) E V / 12M 07
NNN0C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 482.00(USD) E V / 12M
LNN7C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 821.00(USD) E V / 12M 07
MNN0C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 961.00(USD) E V / 12M
KNN0C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 1108.00(USD) E V / 12M
HNN0C8B4 AA B Round-Trip 1391.00(USD) E V / 12M
Y1N0C0S0 AA Y Round-Trip 2635.00(USD) E -- / 12M

I suspect the flyer was on the 3rd from last one. Not included in the fare here is the Carrier Imposed Charges (Fee) which does count toward EQD.
But it appears to be a very expensive 3 day advance purchase BASIC ECONOMY fare.
Looks like for $135 more RT - you could have a Y fare.
But I am concluding you are on a Basic Economy.
You can contact AA for clarification but don't be disappointed.

Some Fare rules for the bolded one: BNN0C0B4
ECONOMY HAND BAGGAGE ONLY FARES
/ZERO BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE MUST BE DISCLOSED TO
CUSTOMER/
THE ORIGINAL AND THE REISSUED TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED

- NONREF/BASIC - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX.
Why is AA even selling $3000 "basic economy" tickets?
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
Why is AA even selling $3000 "basic economy" tickets?
Because people are buying them?
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Pure speculation here, but I think AA mistook the (B) fare for Basic Economy even though clearly on their own website regarding partner earnings with Finnair, a (B) fare is a full fare economy fare. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/finnair.jsp The simplest explanation is usually the correct one, right? Wile e, I'd call AA and tell them they screwed up since their own website shows you should receive 1 EQM per mile flown and 20 % EQDs.

Also, before we crack the Rosetta Stone here on precisely what fare category he paid for and the price he paid, etc. Wile e, can you just tell us how you purchased the ticket? I did notice that the flight numbers are AA codeshares. Were the tickets purchased on aa.com or directly through Finnair?

Last edited by ghsbass0406; Dec 19, 2021 at 7:10 pm
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
Pure speculation here, but I think AA mistook the (B) fare for Basic Economy even though clearly on their own website regarding partner earnings with Finnair, a (B) fare is a full fare economy fare. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/finnair.jsp The simplest explanation is usually the correct one, right? Wile e, I'd call AA and tell them they screwed up since their own website shows you should receive 1 EQM per mile flown and 20 % EQDs.

Also, before we crack the Rosetta Stone here on precisely what fare category he paid for and the price he paid, etc. Wile e, can you just tell us how you purchased the ticket? I did notice that the flight numbers are AA codeshares. Were the tickets purchased on aa.com or directly through Finnair?

Good Input - I know this has intrigued me.
Two fare codes in the system for FinnAir
You can have a B fare (that posts as B) that has either a (B) Basic Booking Class or (M) Main Cabin Booking Class.

Question - which of the two did the person have? Maybe AA can't handle it - or if they can then the person was on the first of the two.

The traveler did get 100% Base Miles. But I think the two above gives you two options for that B fare.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 7:54 pm

Surprised that B fares in AA are ordered between Y and H. But this could be because for UA and others B fare is a discounted full fare, refundable ticket. Looking in Expert Flyer here.
More simply: Before Basic Economy was introduced, B was the second-highest coach fare on AA, and EF still hasn't updated their display order.
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
Pure speculation here, but I think AA mistook the (B) fare for Basic Economy even though clearly on their own website regarding partner earnings with Finnair, a (B) fare is a full fare economy fare. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/finnair.jsp The simplest explanation is usually the correct one, right?
Since OP booked AA codeshares, the AY earning table is irrelevant. Note the linked page says: "Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by Finnair will earn AAdvantage® award miles, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) according to the American mileage accrual chart." (Same as for all AA-marketed flights.) To me, the "simplest explanation" is that this is (by definition) Basic Economy because it's an AA-marketed flight in B.
The traveler did get 100% Base Miles.
100% of what? As you noted, OP must have paid $1308 each way. Base miles are 5x fare for all AA codes, including B -- there is no "percentage" applied to that. The base miles percentage in the AY chart (for AY-marketed flights) would always apply to distance, not to 5x fare. (HEL-JFK is 4117 miles, but of course OP's screenshot says "Method: Fare" so distance is irrelevant, as is true for all AA-marketed flights except "special fares".)
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
FlyingEgghead should do a mic drop and call it a day. I stand corrected.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead

100% of what? As you noted, OP must have paid $1308 each way. Base miles are 5x fare for all AA codes, including B -- there is no "percentage" applied to that. The base miles percentage in the AY chart (for AY-marketed flights) would always apply to distance, not to 5x fare. (HEL-JFK is 4117 miles, but of course OP's screenshot says "Method: Fare" so distance is irrelevant, as is true for all AA-marketed flights except "special fares".)
My bad - as I originally stated - the base miles earned was the $1308 each way x 5.
However - go to ExpertFlyer and check all the fare basis available. FinnAir has both a Basic and Main Cabin version for most of their fares.
There is a code for the 3 day advance purchase for B - but booking class can be Basic or Main Cabin.
Likewise:
A Basic Economy or Standard Economy both show as O class on AA.com for hte AA marketed flight.
Just there are two version of the Fare Basis O code - one Basic and on Main Cabin.
Looking at Travelocity - they two have O booking code both both - but then say
Fare: Main Cabin
Or Fare Basic

Here are the two O 14 day advance purchase fares:
(Also did a 3 day advance purchase M fare - and M shows for both Basic and Main Cabln).
(But the case here is for B fare - but which version ?)

Helsinki to New York
American Airlines • Wed, Jan 12
Departure5:00pm - Helsinki
Vantaa (HEL)
8h 45m flight American Airlines 8985 operated by Finnair
AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A350-900
WiFi on this flight
Economy/Coach (O)
Arrival6:45pm - New York
John F. Kennedy Intl. (JFK)
Hide details
Fare: Basic Economy
Your selection applies to all flights
Change fare

New York to Helsinki
American Airlines • Wed, Jan 19
Departure11:50pm - New York
8h 5m flight American Airlines 8986 operated by Finnair
WiFi on this flight
Economy/Coach (O)
Arrival2:55pm - Helsinki
Vantaa (HEL)
Arrives Thu, Jan 20
Hide details
Fare: Basic Economy
Change fare

----------------------------------------------------
Helsinki to New York
American Airlines • Wed, Jan 12
Departure5:00pm - Helsinki
Vantaa (HEL)
8h 45m flight American Airlines 8985 operated by Finnair
WiFi on this flight
Economy/Coach (O)
Arrival6:45pm - New York
Hide details

New York to Helsinki
American Airlines • Wed, Jan 19
Departure11:50pm - New York
8h 5m flightAmerican Airlines 8986 operated by Finnair
WiFi on this flight
Economy/Coach (O)
Arrival2:55pm - Helsinki
Vantaa (HEL)
Arrives Thu, Jan 20
Hide details

Last edited by cova; Dec 19, 2021 at 8:38 pm
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by guv1976
Because people are buying them?
Knowingly? You buy a $3000 coach seat does it even cross your mind that it's a "basic economy" ticket? Up until recently B fares were the second highest coach booking code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.