Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA to offer top-notch inflight entertainment on new 787-9s and A321XLR…new seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to offer top-notch inflight entertainment on new 787-9s and A321XLR…new seats?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by enviroian
They should focus on their Y and F soft product domestic before spending money on this. Makes no sense. They ripped out all the monitors with their Gallagher brothers "updates".
That, along with their operational issues, rude staff and lack of alcohol service in Y led me to take my business elsewhere.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by PHL
I'm betting the USB-C ports will be enough for phones or tablets, but not a laptop. Even the AC power ports are sometimes good enough to keep a laptop battery from draining, but not always able to deliver a charge.
Oh, I'm not expecting it to be able to power a laptop - that would need at least 45W and, for many, over 100W. However, I would hope they can provide 25W (or 18W at a minimum) and not, say, 10W which is technically considered "fast charging" but isn't enough power to stop the battery draining on some larger phones and tablets while watching video.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
USB 2 and USB C are different things - the first is a standard for the transfer speed over the cable and the second is the connector spec itself, neither of which directly affect charging. What we need are USB C ports that support a recent version of the USB-PD power delivery spec - ideally providing 25W+. Without this, it will be relatively useless. As an example, try charging your phone from a DELL 130W laptop charger that uses a USB-C connector. It will charge at 5W only.
what I’m saying it’s having a USB C plug is making it so much easier.
When you have an iPhone that plugs into USB C…a standard USB connection is useless. If you have a regular plug then you can use the universal connector but I usually don’t carry it with me, so I have to charge my phone from my laptop or something with USB C
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NickRivas
what I’m saying it’s having a USB C plug is making it so much easier.
When you have an iPhone that plugs into USB C…a standard USB connection is useless. If you have a regular plug then you can use the universal connector but I usually don’t carry it with me, so I have to charge my phone from my laptop or something with USB C
I have a USB A to C convertor in my adapter bag for this purpose. Eventually will be nice to not need it, but they're tiny and cost a couple of bucks, so not a big deal now.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PHL
I'm betting the USB-C ports will be enough for phones or tablets, but not a laptop. Even the AC power ports are sometimes good enough to keep a laptop battery from draining, but not always able to deliver a charge.
My surface book 3 doesn't work at all. It trips up the charger on the aircraft. I recall it used to work on the LAA 738s, but doesn't on the new Oasis/Kodiak seats.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:13 am

I tend to get stuck on the a321 that has no power. And flights with no wifi. Maybe I’m just unlucky but it increasingly makes it hard to plan. Seeing the wide body plan and zero narrow body plan makes it clear that they see a need to compete with spirit and frontier rather than delta and now United (which is bringing back IFE)
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:48 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
I tend to get stuck on the a321 that has no power. And flights with no wifi. Maybe I’m just unlucky but it increasingly makes it hard to plan. Seeing the wide body plan and zero narrow body plan makes it clear that they see a need to compete with spirit and frontier rather than delta and now United (which is bringing back IFE)
Indeed it would mean you've had some bad luck if you're winding up on A321's with non-working WiFi or power. In numerous A321 flights I've been on this year, with a good bit of them being LUS birds, WiFi was working on all of them. As for IFE, I'm in the "I don't care" camp since I tend to bring my own. And I don't think IFE is a differentiating factor the majority of people use when booking a trip. They book on fare and schedule without paying much attention to even the aircraft type.

There are only 4 A321's left without power, according to the privately maintained fleet spreadsheet.
https://sites.google.com/site/newame...321?authuser=0

The LUS birds are mostly those delivered before 2013 (back to 2001 when the first ones came online)
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum
The good news is the 4k HDR screen in coach, the bad news is with your knees up in the air from the shallow seat pitch you won't be able to see the screen
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by PHL
And I don't think IFE is a differentiating factor the majority of people use when booking a trip. They book on fare and schedule without paying much attention to even the aircraft type.
DL, UA and I would disagree with you here. I enjoy not having to pull out my laptop/tablet and go the whole flight with my tray table down just to watch a show/movie. The IFE also allows you to watch gate to gate.

Also, I feel that the IFE, while minor to some, shows an investment in the overall passenger experience and what kind of airline they are trying to be.
dcmike likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:21 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
DL, UA and I would disagree with you here. I enjoy not having to pull out my laptop/tablet and go the whole flight with my tray table down just to watch a show/movie. The IFE also allows you to watch gate to gate.
Also, I feel that the IFE, while minor to some, shows an investment in the overall passenger experience and what kind of airline they are trying to be.
BYOD IFE also works gate to gate on AA if you are using a phone or tablet, with refurbed aircraft having a place to mount said devices to a seat back. And yes, it is true that the passenger experience is somewhat improved with onboard IFE but I will still contend that the vast majority of passengers (i.e. the other 99.5% of flyers who are not active members of FT) book on price and schedule, and often don't care which airline it is. We are a fickle bunch here on FT and sometimes forget there is a whole different world of travelers who really don't know or care about fare buckets and pre departure beverages.
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:21 am

They probably don't have their Google Flights filters set to only show SkyTeam and Star Alliance carriers like I do
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Antarius
AA has 25 787s on order that havent been delivered.

Boeing has .... the bed with regards to everything from engineering to quality control, which is why the deliveries have been delayed.
Most of those (19) were supposed to be delivered this year. Not sure how far out those will be pushed, but I doubt many will be pushed out to later in 2023.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (EXP/LP=355k), Marriott (PLAT-E)
To clarify, are these features now present in the 787-9's, or do these features begin with the new aircrafts in 2023?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist
Coming with the new aircraft

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.