Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA service to DOH (ex-JFK, changing to ex-PHL on 29 Oct 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum

Seems like AA is gonna fly from JFK to DOH. QR already flies double daily on this route. Why anyone, except for say folks wishing to use SWUs, would fly AA in any class over QR bewilders me. But I’m not a airline route planner so what do I know…

https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...icIkI5fPnSDik0
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
My thoughts exactly. Who would fly AA over QR unless there is a huge price difference, and SWU would clear at booking.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:53 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
AA could be angling for a Middle East and Indian joint business with Qatar, allowing them to share revenue on JFK-DOH-XXX and JFK-BOM. Getting a joint business seems a lot easier if both airlines are present in the market.

JetBlue has been very good to AA in the New York market it seems; jetBlue already has a more extensive codeshare agreement with QR than AA does (they codeshare beyond DOH).

Schedule Change Saturday should be interesting this week.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:13 am

QR product is so much better in every way in every aspect from check in lounge to aircraft to flight attendants. I can not see how AA could make any money..
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
What human being, in any state of consciousness, would choose American Airlines vs Qatar is probably so high on something illegal it wouldn't make a difference anyway.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Centurion
QR product is so much better in every way in every aspect from check in lounge to aircraft to flight attendants. I can not see how AA could make any money..
The irony is they pulled out of most long haul international from LAX for these same reasons--couldn't compete against the other carriers on the routes.
GlobalMatt and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by fender5787
Why anyone, except for say folks wishing to use SWUs, would fly AA in any class over QR bewilders me.
I would if their J fares are half of that QR is selling
apeortdz likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SQ Gold, DL Plat, Bonvoy Plat
This is going to sound crazy to some, but I hate flying QR due to the movies being deeply censored - If I see the words "modified for content" I switch off. Agreed that their hard product is better, and their food/wine selection way beyond AA though. And yes, I could just load my iPad with whatever I want. I didn't say this was rational
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by kb3535
This is going to sound crazy to some, but I hate flying QR due to the movies being deeply censored - If I see the words "modified for content" I switch off. Agreed that their hard product is better, and their food/wine selection way beyond AA though. And yes, I could just load my iPad with whatever I want. I didn't say this was rational
While a good point, and point taken, for me it's meaningless considering how superior of an airline QR is. Hell I'd be fine watching Thomas & Friends to Doha rather than sit on an AA heavy there.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SQ Gold, DL Plat, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
Hell I'd be fine watching Thomas & Friends to Doha rather than sit on an AA heavy there.
If I could be high on whatever substance it was from the previous comment, that would be perfect
Old Dec 9, 2021, 10:41 am

Was just in Doha. The tensions in the GCC area are still fairly high and the embargo may not effectively been ended, so I am wondering about the cargo aspect. QR is running cargo-only flights US to Doha, perhaps AA sees some $$$ to gain here.

It's actually a really close call between AA bus and QR coach in many ways, and there is simply no comparison between Qsuites and anything AA does ever.

(Now, if QR would take their head out of the sand regarding PE then we have a whole 'nuther ballgame.)
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:58 am

If the Tensions in the GCC are still high...
Could someone explain why we have our US Customs Pre Clear in Doha Airport with the embargo? Who pays our Customs Officers salary and housing when they are stationed in Doha?

Originally Posted by smithrh
Was just in Doha. The tensions in the GCC area are still fairly high and the embargo may not effectively been ended, so I am wondering about the cargo aspect. QR is running cargo-only flights US to Doha, perhaps AA sees some $$$ to gain here.

It's actually a really close call between AA bus and QR coach in many ways, and there is simply no comparison between Qsuites and anything AA does ever.

(Now, if QR would take their head out of the sand regarding PE then we have a whole 'nuther ballgame.)
Old Dec 9, 2021, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by smithrh
Leaving aside the hyperbole of a chair competiting with a bed (it doesn't), I actually find AA's hard product to be better. The Q suites are horribly cramped and I'm not that big (6'2", 170 lbs).

QR also sucks at IRROPS. Like spectacularly. That said on literally everything else, QR comes out ahead. Everything.

If I can get on an old QR J 777, that's perfect. Unreal amounts of space.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Could someone explain why we have our US Customs Pre Clear in Doha Airport with the embargo? Who pays our Customs Officers salary and housing when they are stationed in Doha?
What? To my knowledge there isn't preclearance in DOH. The only one in the region is at AUH.
knit-in, SJOGuy, njvandy and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
First off, the GCC tensions was a whip it out by Saudi Arabia. It failed spectacularly like every other foreign policy decision of MbS.

second, DOH doesn't have pre clearance. Only AUH.

Third, the US clearly doesn't have qualms about having people stationed and generally working with rabble rousers in the region. Otherwise state sponsored terrorism champions Saudi Arabia and Pakistan would not be allies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.