Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No longer see AA flights to Japan (temporary flights suspension)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist

I am booked to goto Bangkok via DFW-NRT over Christmas. My flight hasn't been cancelled but I no longer see AA flights available on AA com. I don't even see any flights routing LAX-TYO

Is this a sign that my flight is about to get cancelled or changed? Does AA typically re-accommodate on JAL in this situation? I was hoping to finally use my system-wide but I guess that isn't looking likely now!
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by eltoddo22
I am booked to goto Bangkok via DFW-NRT over Christmas. My flight hasn't been cancelled but I no longer see AA flights available on AA com. I don't even see any flights routing LAX-TYO

Is this a sign that my flight is about to get cancelled or changed? Does AA typically re-accommodate on JAL in this situation? I was hoping to finally use my system-wide but I guess that isn't looking likely now!
It looks like DFW-NRT has been zeroed out so they won't sell anymore seats. The JL DFW-HND is still showing as available, maybe you can switch to that.

After looking at the thread below, DFW-NRT is still available if you search for DFW-BKK.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
See this thread for some other data points: AA Pulls Out Of Tokyo For 1Q 2022?
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP / CK
Could it be due to the new travel ban for almost all foreign visitors?

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by maat777
Could it be due to the new travel ban for almost all foreign visitors?

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html
I seriously doubt it, the foreigners affected by that change have only been allowed in for about 3 weeks now. It doesn't affect (foreign) residents of Japan and is now no different than the policy in place for the past year.

I suppose it could have something to do with the daily entry cap that was drastically reduced (still think it's the same as it was though a month ago), maybe airlines had too many seats sold assuming the new daily entry cap would remain in place so now only are accepting transit pax for the time being.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Ah thanks. I should have seen that other thread. My flight still shows available if searching DFW-BKK but it looks like they stopped selling the DFW-TYO route direct.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-...eage-club-443/

more discussion on flts to japan being zeroed out
prob need to wait and see - doesnt look like it's canceling as they are selling seats from japan and through japan
Old Nov 30, 2021, 11:24 pm

So far it's just through Dec 31st for US departures, but if you need a flight in January (entering Japan, not transit) I'd book it now before any extensions are announced.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ght-ban-japan/

Seems that the government was the one requesting that the flights be zeroed out.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by rill2503456
Seems that the government was the one requesting that the flights be zeroed out.
Correct. It's definitely not a foregone conclusion this will last for the entirety of December (despite the fact the flights are currently zeroed out thru the end of the month). Just an initial knee-jerk reaction from the Government of Japan.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:49 am

Looks like the Japanese government has officially told all carriers to zero seat sales until December 31 for any foreign flights. Probably will get extended but the airlines are not supposed to sell anymore seats for december of fears of the new variant spreading into Japan. I am sure some airlines will cancel flights that are too empty to fly now AA included they just haven't decided how to consolidate passengers booked or which to cancel.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:51 am

This policy was reversed in less than 24 hours, won't tread into OMNI territory, but I had to laugh (a lot) that the PM capitulated so quickly after coming out so strong on the ban. So if you need tickets for December terminating in Tokyo, you should be able to book them now.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:50 pm

I tried to buy a flt from LAX to BKK in November. Called AA. The airline was a code share flt with JAL. AA had used all of JAL seats available to them. So I bought the same ticket from JAL. Better than the other options available through AA-all considerably longer flts. And I will get pts on my cc and with AA.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by dvs7310
This policy was reversed in less than 24 hours, won't tread into OMNI territory, but I had to laugh (a lot) that the PM capitulated so quickly after coming out so strong on the ban. So if you need tickets for December terminating in Tokyo, you should be able to book them now.
Yup, as anticipated. Everything is back to COVID-normal with respect to booking flights into Japan. Which is to say plenty of inventory once again but still heavy restrictions on who's actually allowed to enter Japan.

-FlyerBeek
dvs7310 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by luangwablondes
I tried to buy a flt from LAX to BKK in November. Called AA. The airline was a code share flt with JAL. AA had used all of JAL seats available to them. So I bought the same ticket from JAL. Better than the other options available through AA-all considerably longer flts. And I will get pts on my cc and with AA.
If same price, better to buy from JL directly anyway. Online seat selection, extremely flexible changes, and automatic travel health insurance included on JL tickets for the time being. Oh, that and you'll quite likely get more AA miles vs. $$ based earning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.