Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrade from PE to Business on BA using AAdvantage miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, National Exec Elite

So I have some travels next year to Europe. I made a reservation from JFK to LHR on AA metal and return is from DUS to BWI via LHR on BA metal. The reservation was all done through AA but I have not yet paid for it(it’s on hold). Both trans-Atlantic legs are in Premium Economy (full fare W). The first leg home from DUS to LHR is in economy (H fare code).

According to AA’s websites (and other websites) I should be allowed to upgrade full-fare Premium Economy W on BA to business using AAdvantage miles as long as the flight booking is done through AA.

so called reservations and the first person I talked to said no and that BA would never allow someone to upgrade on their flights using AAdvantage miles. She wasn’t helpful and I did HUCA.

Second person said i could but then went to check with some other desk when it didn’t work and it said I was ineligible. No reason given except that the flight wasn’t “a prime flight”… whatever that means. His explanation didn’t make sense and I took it as he didn’t know why either.

so my question is what could be preventing the upgrade? I have checked BA’s website and there is indeed U award space on the date requested from LHR to BWi. Could it be that the first leg from DuS to LHR is booked in H fare? I know that fare is ineligible but I am not trying to upgrade on that leg. Or is it maybe because I haven’t actually paid for the reservation yet?

so frustrating when you think you’re doing everything by the rules to use you miles!
Old Nov 29, 2021, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Just for sanity sake, the PE leg is booked into W on BA's side, right? Not just the AA side; should be the same.. but spitballing here.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I think an AA "W" fare may not necessarily map to a BA "W" fare; the latter is required for the AAdvantage upgrade. It's not clear in the OP if the BA flights are booked with AA or BA flight numbers. With BA flight numbers, they would be "prime" as the agent referred to (marketed/operated by same carrier), and in that case if you had a W fare, it's an upgradeable W fare. If it's an AA codeshare in W, like I mentioned, it might not map to a BA W fare.
There's some discussion of this 700+ posts into the master thread on this: AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)

Keep in mind that upgradeable BA W fares are very expensive, and usually cost more than discount business class. In fact, I'm looking at BA/AA fares on BWI-DUS, and all the "reasonable" W fares are AA fares; the BA W fare is $4,000+ r/t. Additionally, it looks like the BA W fare would book in Y or B on the European segment, whereas at least one AA W fare that I checked books into H.
trooper and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlea905
.....Second person said i could but then went to check with some other desk when it didn’t work and it said I was ineligible. No reason given except that the flight wasn’t “a prime flight”… whatever that means. His explanation didn’t make sense and I took it as he didn’t know why either.
A “prime flight” is AA marketed(flight number) - AA operated or is BA marketed(flight number) - BA operated. So not a codeshare.

AA forum master thread--->AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
AA link--->https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Check if your situation matches the requirements
JDiver likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 12:02 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Antarius
Just for sanity sake, the PE leg is booked into W on BA's side, right? Not just the AA side; should be the same.. but spitballing here.
No, unfortunately not - AA's W fare most often maps to E on a BA ticket and very very rarely to BA's W.

If you want to upgrade your return you're probably better off booking the BA flight number (not a codeshare) and then finding a way to gain some AVIOS and upgrade that way (assuming upgrades are even available - use seatspy.com to check on that). Be aware that you cannot waitlist to upgrade a BA flight - you just have to call at the right time (which is often never).

And then research the Airport Upgrade thread on the BAEC forum here to find out what you might be able to pay at the airport in order to upgrade.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, National Exec Elite
Thanks guys, very helpful!

How do you know what fare W on AA maps into on BA? Is that possible to find out for a layperson like me? It has a PNR for The BA portion… would that tell me?

That likely might be the problem.

Also, how on earth does one book a prime flight using AA.com? All that shows up are the codeshares operated BA.

I will certainly look into the Avios route too.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

How do you know what fare W on AA maps into on BA? Is that possible to find out for a layperson like me? It has a PNR for The BA portion… would that tell me?

Also, how on earth does one book a prime flight using AA.com? All that shows up are the codeshares operated BA.

Yes the BA PNR should allow you to look it up
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
You know there is a saying...if it is too good to be true...

How much is your ticket pricing at?
Using the BA website, a fully refundable PE ticket (W fare for TATL) prices at ~$2400 each way (total would be more than $5000)
I did a dummy booking on aa.com and I see the H/W return you mention and it is pricing at $2,700 total including the outbound JFK-LHR.

By the time you are able to book your ticket at the desired fare code, you will find out that the price for eligible PE is higher than booking straight into discount business.
99% of the time, upgrading BA flights with AA miles is a terrible use of money and miles.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver

I think the only answer to these questions is calling AA and asking a person.

But the likelihood that AA W maps to BA W is about the same as the probability you paid more for your PE ticket than Business would have cost you.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
OP:
Your reservation on AA.com will show the BA booking code.
Enter that booking code on ba.com manage my booking
Once there you will see your reservation made on AA and then click on "More Flight Information".
The booking code on BA will be right there.
AA "W" maps to "E" on BA.
Not upgradeable.
WSTC likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You used to be able to do an Advanced Search, and under options toward the bottom chose "All Airlines" (instead of "American Airlines"). But I just tried it out and it's still only returning AA-marketed flights. Shocking.

That said, you can also select "flexible" fares, and it looks to be returning "PE Flexible" fares that are AA W fares which probably map to a BA W fare, but as we all noted above, it's $$$$. BWI-DUS r/t is showing at ~$4600, although I can't actually get an itinerary to price. Bottom line, AA.com stinks, you'll likely have to call. Or you can book via BA.com as long as you can get one AA-marketed segment on the itinerary.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:14 am

Programs: AA EXP.
just upgrade at the counter. shouldnt cost
Old Dec 1, 2021, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks all.

I checked using the BA PNR... As everyone says W in fact maps to E on BA. So not upgradeable using miles.
Antarius and carlosdca like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
OP, I think you should take one for the team and downgrade yourself to the last row on the plane and post a trip report.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:51 pm

I’ve been in the same situation, and I found that they simply do not map, and there is no way to know if you were buying an actual full-fare W that will allow this. I wonder if things changed. Issue being that AA W is not BA W, because all the fare restrictions in the actual ticket might actually reflect it not being a fully refundable true full fare W that almost no one buys. I lost my mind on the same webpage, then gave up, flew W and did just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.