Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Schedule change, tight connection, missed flight? SFO-LIH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Hi guys, I am looking for some FT wisdom here.

I have a schedule change that leaves my connecting time very tight. Only 42mins of connection. Before I had 2 hours.

flight is SFO-LAX-LIH

The problem is that there are no flight alternatives since there is only 1 daily flight to LIH from every airport including PHX and DFW. And HNL is taking 3 planes...

So my only options are to try to do LAX in 42 mins OR take a very early flight to LAX and do an 8 hour layover at LAX.

What would you guys do?

What happens if I miss my flight because of the schedule change? I know the next flight is the next day but will AA provide lodging or nothing at all?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
You wouldn't miss your flight "because of the schedule change." If your inbound is on time, you have time to connect. If your inbound is late due to mechanical delay, then AA would provide lodging if you insisted on the one stop to LIH. Personally I would keep your routing rather than the 8 hour layover -- as long as, if you miss the connection, there is then a flight through HNL that you could get on.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
The reality is that most people do make their connections, even with flights very close together in airports like PHX and SLC that have short MCT's (Minimum Connection Times). If you miss the connection due to a mechanical issue, they will provide accommodations, although I doubt you want to spend the first night of your Hawaiian vacation in an airport hotel in Los Angeles.

General advice to anyone posting issues like this, please give the dates and flight numbers. FTers are pretty generous with their time to research flight alternatives, but it's not possible if we don't know what flights you're on.

Three important notes:
1) There are two options for IRROPS, weather (Wx) and mechanical (Mx). Airlines tend to declare delays as Wx when possible because their obligations to passengers are less. And weather can be fine at your airport, but if there is an upstream delay on an incoming flight due to weather, they will declare it Wx.
2) If your outbound flight is delayed and there are alternate routings, you can often move to those. Sometimes this is even a good thing, as there might be a different routing (even a nonstop) that you didn't book because of price, although I don't think there are any nonstops SFO-LIH or even SFO-HNL. Sometimes they will tell you they can move you but your bags will stay on the original flights. (They probably won't tell you this, because your bags are supposed to be on the same aircraft you are) but it can happen.
3) Don't. Even. Think. About. Asking. To. Be. Moved. To. Another. Airline.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: Some more than others
Is the SFO-LAX Eagle or Mainline? If Eagle you would have to take the bus from the remote gates to get to T4/T5 which would make the connection pretty dicey in my mind.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
LOL thanks guys! Let me give you some details.

Dec 5th, 21

SFO-LAX AA 6246

LAX-LIH AA 285

Booked as 1 itinerary.

Both are in J using SWU.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SCChris
Is the SFO-LAX Eagle or Mainline? If Eagle you would have to take the bus from the remote gates to get to T4/T5 which would make the connection pretty dicey in my mind.
Eagle and yes I would have to take the bus. Last time I had to do that it took me 30mins but I was pretty lost. Now I know what to do. Still scares me though.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If you are worried in advance, possibly call see if you can be switched to 2042 to PHX and then 684 to LIH? Or AS 3338 to LAX then AA 265? Or AS 1252 to LAX then AA 285?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:15 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Might be worth asking if they can schedule you on an earlier Alaska flight instead...they don't run codeshares on LAX-SFO that I'm aware of but they may be willing as an exception. There is a 12:50PM and a 3:05PM that would both give you a little extra room. My last Eagle's Nest experience (a week ago) was mixed when I took that exact SFO-LAX flight. We landed 30 minutes early, but once we deplaned there was ~15 minute wait for a bus.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dll
Might be worth asking if they can schedule you on an earlier Alaska flight instead...they don't run codeshares on LAX-SFO that I'm aware of but they may be willing as an exception. There is a 12:50PM and a 3:05PM that would both give you a little extra room. My last Eagle's Nest experience (a week ago) was mixed when I took that exact SFO-LAX flight. We landed 30 minutes early, but once we deplaned there was ~15 minute wait for a bus.

The problem is if they dont do code share they can book it as 1 itinerary and the agent told me that if they separate the ticket then it would be repriced as LAX-LIH instead of SFO-LIH at the current price which is insane.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
If you are worried in advance, possibly call see if you can be switched to 2042 to PHX and then 684 to LIH? Or AS 3338 to LAX then AA 265? Or AS 1252 to LAX then AA 285?
Agent told me 684 is fully booked on J☹
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:41 am

I would keep this connection, but also:

For the first night in LIH, book a cheap hotel, not a fancy resort, in case missed connection wasted this first night. Then second night onwards book the resort you actually want.
Have two car rental reservations - one starting your expected time, one starting the next day's LIH flight arrival in case you miss this flight. Cancel this second reservation once you hopefully land on time. Cancel first reservation if you misconnect.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I would keep this connection, but also:

For the first night in LIH, book a cheap hotel, not a fancy resort, in case missed connection wasted this first night. Then second night onwards book the resort you actually want.
Have two car rental reservations - one starting your expected time, one starting the next day's LIH flight arrival in case you miss this flight. Cancel this second reservation once you hopefully land on time. Cancel first reservation if you misconnect.
This is great advise, my concern is that the price for car rental is $1,000 more than what I paid now. So booking a 2nd reservation is not really possible. What happens if I dont get there in time and pick up the car the next day?
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sounds like the rental-car related consequences of a miss are potentially severe. I'd take the earlier flight and spend the day in LA. Or even fly in to LAX the night before.
beachfan and bbbb like this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
This is great advise, my concern is that the price for car rental is $1,000 more than what I paid now. So booking a 2nd reservation is not really possible. What happens if I dont get there in time and pick up the car the next day?
Are you a graduate of a college or university? If so, you should check to see if your alma mater has contracts with Avis, Budget, etc., and find out whether alumni are permitted by the rental companies to use the contract "leisure" rates for personal travel. (Because rental companies are cracking down on fraudulent use of discount codes these days, you should be prepared to present proof of your status as an alumnus, like a copy of your diploma, transcript, etc.)
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you a graduate of a college or university? If so, you should check to see if your alma mater has contracts with Avis, Budget, etc., and find out whether alumni are permitted by the rental companies to use the contract "leisure" rates for personal travel. (Because rental companies are cracking down on fraudulent use of discount codes these days, you should be prepared to present proof of your status as an alumnus, like a copy of your diploma, transcript, etc.)
I graduated in another country but thanks to your comment I decided to check kayak.com and found a fully cancelable rate that is $100 less than my other one (1 day less = $100 less so its fair). I think thats what I am gonna do. Keep the original flight, hope that 42min connection is good enough and if it fails then cancel one or the other car reservation. As far as hotel I dont mind risking losing 1 night.

Thanks for the input guys! You are the best!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.