Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Inconsistency in Admirals Club admittance as a minor.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inconsistency in Admirals Club admittance as a minor.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by js1993
It's 100% a liability issue, both in terms of the kid's potential actions and in terms of what AA's staffers might do (or be accused of doing) to the kid.

How much booze is there at McDonald's or Red Robin?
lots.

Red Robin bar
keyw and FlyFreakquently like this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by js1993
It's 100% a liability issue, both in terms of the kid's potential actions and in terms of what AA's staffers might do (or be accused of doing) to the kid.

How much booze is there at McDonald's or Red Robin?
There is plenty of booze in a Red Robin, as well as most other restaurants.

Are AA staffers somehow less trustworthy than restaurant employees? I'm not sure why it's a liability issue in a lounge but not a restaurant that has food, alcohol, and employees.

The rule probably isn't even there for unaccompanied flyers like the OP. It's probably there so people can't dump their kids in the AC and then go wander around the airport.
Ok, so now it's not a liability issue any more, it's because they don't want to be a day care. That's understandable. But that applies to kids, not to older teenagers, and exceptions should be made for unaccompanied flyers over a certain age (how old do you have to be before they don't keep you at the gate until a guardian picks you up?)
Old Mar 16, 2022, 2:04 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Are AA staffers somehow less trustworthy than restaurant employees? I'm not sure why it's a liability issue in a lounge but not a restaurant that has food, alcohol, and employees.

Ok, so now it's not a liability issue any more, it's because they don't want to be a day care. That's understandable. But that applies to kids, not to older teenagers, and exceptions should be made for unaccompanied flyers over a certain age (how old do you have to be before they don't keep you at the gate until a guardian picks you up?)
Okay, so what's your theory? AA pulled "age 18" out of a hat?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
18 is considered legal adulthood in many states which has a lot of implications regarding medical treatment, privacy, contract arrangements, protected status in terms of relationships.

Its a pretty well established bright line, and seems to be the line that AA is taking.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

IMO, the rule should be no younger than 15, as that is the age to fly solo on AA. I think if it was an exception only for OneWorld Emeralds (AA EXP and PP), who were flying solo, it would not change the club atmosphere in the slightest. There just aren’t that many of us.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by keyw
IMO, the rule should be no younger than 15, as that is the age to fly solo on AA. I think if it was an exception only for OneWorld Emeralds (AA EXP and PP), who were flying solo, it would not change the club atmosphere in the slightest. There just aren’t that many of us.
AA has no way of knowing who's flying solo, only who's trying to enter an AC solo.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 11:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
It seems we just keep rehashing the same thing, so I'm going to close this thread.

OP: Please let the moderators know if you have new information to share, and we'll be happy to re-open it.

Thanks.

/moderator
keyw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.