Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines cuts 27 routes, slashes New York network

American Airlines cuts 27 routes, slashes New York network

Old Nov 15, 2021, 6:20 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,708
American Airlines cuts 27 routes, slashes New York network

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...-exits-ottawa/

Despite American’s promise to grow in New York thanks to the tie-up with JetBlue, the airline is walking away from some of its expansion in this week’s massive schedule update.

Five routes from New York-JFK are getting axed — two to Canada, two to Costa Rica and one to Texas — along with 13 domestic flights from LaGuardia. This includes the long-standing shuttle service between LaGuardia and Boston, as well as from LGA to Philadelphia.
Auto Enthusiast and Tack like this.
lsquare is online now  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 6:46 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: CLT
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Posts: 415
I find the Canada routes surprising. They were able to hold on through the pandemic, but now that restrictions are easing up the routes won't be profitable? Will they have to reassign these slots in NY to other markets or risk losing them?
joeyE is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:56 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,614
At the same time, AA continues to build up PHL, with an announcement about several new international routes starting in 2022. Details can be found in today’s Philadelphia Inquirer. There is a paywall, but it does allow for a few free looks.
Auto Enthusiast and lsquare like this.
SCEflyer is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:59 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,109
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
At the same time, AA continues to build up PHL, with an announcement about several new international routes starting in 2022. Details can be found in today’s Philadelphia Inquirer. There is a paywall, but it does allow for a few free looks.
I wonder how many of those are new versus just resuming flights from pre-COVID. American has flown to most of those cities from PHL before.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
MASTERNC is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:07 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYS
Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Posts: 1,495
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
At the same time, AA continues to build up PHL, with an announcement about several new international routes starting in 2022. Details can be found in today’s Philadelphia Inquirer. There is a paywall, but it does allow for a few free looks.
Here's the Inquirer article. It refers to PHL as "the transatlantic gateway for American Airlines" and quotes a VP saying that PHL works better than JFK for connections to Europe from the rest of the country because AA can bring in 60 or 70 flights to connect to a TATL flight, which wouldn't be possible at JFK.
kochleffel is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:10 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,708
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Here's the Inquirer article. It refers to PHL as "the transatlantic gateway for American Airlines" and quotes a VP saying that PHL works better than JFK for connections to Europe from the rest of the country because AA can bring in 60 or 70 flights to connect to a TATL flight, which wouldn't be possible at JFK.
Is it because AA has more slots at PHL than at JFK?
lsquare is online now  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:11 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK), CT
Programs: Delta Diamond, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Posts: 4,822
1) AA / JetBlue deal is clearly anti competitive

2) The more AA cedes NYC routes to JetBlue (which doesn’t offer first class or lounge access for the most part on these particular routes), the more it shows it is not really committed to competing for the NYC market
BearX220, ijgordon, renila and 5 others like this.
Adelphos is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:19 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 1,623
Is JetBlue going to move their LGA-BOS flights over to terminal B?
Catbert10 is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:20 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,708
Originally Posted by Adelphos
1) AA / JetBlue deal is clearly anti competitive

2) The more AA cedes NYC routes to JetBlue (which doesn’t offer first class or lounge access for the most part on these particular routes), the more it shows it is not really committed to competing for the NYC market
Does AA even have an interest in New York? It seems like AA can never figure out what it wants to do with its New York network. I guess it can't compete, so it negotiated a deal with B6.

Originally Posted by Catbert10
Is JetBlue going to move their LGA-BOS flights over to terminal B?
​​​​​​​Didn't someone say yes in another thread?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
lsquare is online now  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:26 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PVG, FRA, SEA, HEL
Programs: UA Premier Gold
Posts: 4,783
Do we always have to link these click-baiting websites?
aamilesslave, jmw and Repooc17 like this.
warakorn is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:28 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 253
Here's a direct link to the Inquirer article that was referenced: https://www.inquirer.com/business/am...-20211115.html

There's not a ton of detail, but sounds like PHL flights to major European destinations (the article specifically notes Paris, Amsterdam, Lisbon, Madrid, and Rome) will restart in March. Also interesting they somewhat blame Boeing for their scheduling problems as they only delivered 1 787 this year when AA was supposed to receive 14.
renila and Auto Enthusiast like this.
LlamaJesus is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:46 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Programs: AA - PP
Posts: 10
I don't know how they can call PHL the gateway to Europe and then simultaneously cut all connections from NYC area to PHL. Have a flight to ZRH in mid-january and now have to route JFK -> BOS -> PHL -> ZRH instead of LGA -> PHL -> ZRH or cancel the connecting and take a train to PHL first.

On track to EXP this year and this might just push me to Delta.

Last edited by aumming; Nov 15, 2021 at 10:04 am
aumming is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:47 am
  #13  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,610
Originally Posted by joeyE
I find the Canada routes surprising. They were able to hold on through the pandemic, but now that restrictions are easing up the routes won't be profitable? Will they have to reassign these slots in NY to other markets or risk losing them?
Article is partial click bait. It's only reporting route is cut without having perform any analysis as to reasons behind it.
  • We all know JetBlue doesn't fly to Toronto or Montreal.
  • Traffic demand to Canada is not there thus AA cut service (currently 40% of 2019)
  • Service is only cut from JFK. AA is stills serving Toronto and Montreal from LGA. This was resumed on Oct 31.
  • Delta hasn't even restored any service between New York and these cities.
Originally Posted by warakorn
Do we always have to link these click-baiting websites?

Stop feeding the bloggers. They should just stick to reviews not perform industry analysis.
dw, jmw, Auto Enthusiast and 5 others like this.

Last edited by seawolf; Nov 15, 2021 at 9:16 am
seawolf is offline  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:49 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 19,708
Originally Posted by seawolf
Article is partial click bait. It's only reporting route is cut without having perform any analysis as to reasons behind it.
  • We all know JetBlue doesn't fly to Canada.
  • Traffic demand to Canada is not there thus AA cut service.
  • Service is only cut from JFK. AA is stills serving Toronto and Montreal from LGA. This was resumed on Oct 31.
  • Delta hasn't even restored any service between these cities.
B6 will be flying to YVR in 2022, right?
lsquare is online now  
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:52 am
  #15  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,610
Originally Posted by lsquare
B6 will be flying to YVR in 2022, right?
AA never flew to YVR from JFK/LGA.
seawolf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.