Wiki Posts
Search

Lost Bag - claim with AA or AMEX?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Lost Bag - claim with AA or AMEX?

Hi, arrived home on AA2417 DFW to MEX yesterday to find one bag left in Dallas. They've failed to ship it today either, so well over 24 hours late.
We have AMEX insurance covering delayed bags up to 500 USD, but wondering if best to claim there or to send associated bills to AA? As it's international I believe they are liable under international law? It was carrying my wife's prescription medicines (including antibiotics) so we had to get a new prescription and buy them today (approx 150 USD) of stuff. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in adv for the help
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TTmex
Hi, arrived home on AA2417 DFW to MEX yesterday to find one bag left in Dallas. They've failed to ship it today either, so well over 24 hours late.
We have AMEX insurance covering delayed bags up to 500 USD, but wondering if best to claim there or to send associated bills to AA? As it's international I believe they are liable under international law? It was carrying my wife's prescription medicines (including antibiotics) so we had to get a new prescription and buy them today (approx 150 USD) of stuff. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in adv for the help
Is the Amex coverage primary or secondary?
Old Nov 14, 2021, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

It's our primary policy - Annual Elite (not contracted in US as we're Mex residents).
Old Nov 14, 2021, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I would be inclined to pursue AA first. If they deny the claim, then pursue your personal insurer. Just make sure that you do not miss any deadlines for initiating a claim.

Did you charge the flight to a credit card that provides delayed-baggage coverage? That would be an alternative avenue to pursue, but such coverage might we'll be secondary to any reimbursement AA offers, so you would still have to claim against AA first.
Antarius and TTmex like this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I was thinking AA should be liable under the montreal convention. I'll pursue them first, then seek protection from Amex if AA deny the claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.