Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interlining Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Interlining Question

I'm trying to coordinate a Christmas trip and am about ready to throw in the towel. Probably would have already, if I hadn't stupidly put down a deposit to reserve the accommodation. And that'll be nearly impossible to book anywhere else this close in.

With interlining checked baggage, is the decision to do this on the "first" carrier and the second carrier will "accept", or dependent on an interline agreement between the two carriers? I'd have to take a small carrier AA is not partners with, (so separate tickets), to then transfer to an AA flight back to the states through BGI.

I'm wondering specifically about checked bags in this scenario - if anyone knows if AA interlines with any of these outfits and the baggage would be checked through? 1) interCaribbean Airways, 2) Caribbean Airlines, 3) SVG Air/Grenadine Alliance
Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I think AA's policy with baggage is that it needs to be the same PNR. I know we have a thread here somewhere with further details. But even if you connect AA to AA on separate tickets, they won't send bags through, you'd need to go to baggage claim and then re-check them, which could be quite time consuming depending on the airport.
If you can, I'd try to find end to end flights on the AA website, and you should be guaranteed that the bags will go all the way through. Otherwise, allow enough time to deal with bags along the way.
enpremiere and GlobalMatt like this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by aztimm
I think AA's policy with baggage is that it needs to be the same PNR.
Yup! You'll be better off shipping your bags.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
I think AA's policy with baggage is that it needs to be the same PNR. I know we have a thread here somewhere with further details. But even if you connect AA to AA on separate tickets, they won't send bags through, you'd need to go to baggage claim and then re-check them, which could be quite time consuming depending on the airport.
If you can, I'd try to find end to end flights on the AA website, and you should be guaranteed that the bags will go all the way through. Otherwise, allow enough time to deal with bags along the way.
Thanks aztimm. I'll check again but I didn't think it was possible. There's only small Caribbean outfitters from BGI, that do not partner with AA, so there would not be codeshares. or flights that will require an overnight in SVD. The flights to SVD direct are sold out for my dates. So the option is getting to BGI through another carrier and taking the AA flight from there.

Or am i mistaken about the PNR? Can AA add any airline, regardless if partners? In this case though I'm doing two one ways. So on the return AA would not be the "first" carrier on the PNR.

Whoops -- I just reread your post and see what you're saying. Probably not an option in any case unless on the same PNR. I did check all the way through and unless the direct flight to opens to SVD for my date, AA isn't offering routes with any of the smaller airlines servicing the islands. Begging the owner to let me shift my dates is probably the next option.

Last edited by cmtlatitudes; Nov 10, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GlobalMatt
Yup! You'll be better off shipping your bags.
LoL Maybe. Wonder if they'd end up in a container ship off the coast of Cali. 🤔 That would be my luck,
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If your second flight is on AA, whether the first carrier will interline checked baggage depends on whether the first carrier has an interline baggage agreement with AA. If the first airline does, then the next question is whether that airline's policy allows through-checking of baggage on separate tickets.

AA will not through-check bags to AS on separate tickets unless both tickets are on the same PNR. On the other hand, AS will through-check bags to AA on separate tickets, even if the tickets are on separate PNRs.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:55 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I think it’s enforced when you buy the ticket, more or less. If you can get it issued on single ticket, they’re likely to interline bags. Otherwise, nope.

AA “could” interline bags on separates to any carrier they have an agreement with, but in practice, they won’t. They’re not in the business of rewarding customers for combining noncombinable fares on a journey via separates.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
If your second flight is on AA, whether the first carrier will interline checked baggage depends on whether the first carrier has an interline baggage agreement with AA. If the first airline does, then the next question is whether that airline's policy allows through-checking of baggage on separate tickets.

AA will not through-check bags to AS on separate tickets unless both tickets are on the same PNR. On the other hand, AS will through-check bags to AA on separate tickets, even if the tickets are on separate PNRs.
Interesting - thanks guv1976. I recall reading that before and will keep it in mind.

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm deciding not to try to jump through hoops to make this happen. If the owner will work with me to shift dates to match AA's available flights into SVD, I'll do that. But transferring through BGI will be painful enough I'll consider forfeiting my deposit if that's the only option. Just learned BGI requires the full blown RT-PCR for fully vaccinated just to transit their airport on the return. I was happily looking forward to my US approved eMed test and not dealing with clinics and appointments and stress once I got there.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE= AA “could” interline bags on separates to any carrier they have an agreement with, but in practice, they won’t. They’re not in the business of rewarding customers for combining noncombinable fares on a journey via separates.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can see that. In this case though, it's not like I'm shafting AA on anything. They'd still get a comparably priced ticket purchase from me to SVD or BGI either way. It's just easier if SVD wasn't sold out for my date because you can take ferries. From BGI need to fly though to the small islands. AA doesn't service them directly and has no partners in the region.

It was easier to get around down there before the demise of LIAT, when St. Lucia acted as more of a secondary local air hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.