Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why has AA not been taken to court over their hard to find and decipher fare rules?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why has AA not been taken to court over their hard to find and decipher fare rules?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Could someone tell me why AA had not been taken to federal court on a class action on American Airlines deceptive practice of hiding the actual fare rules on the very very last page AFTER YOU ENTER YOUR PAYMENT INFORMATION and then making it incredibly difficult to understand these written rules? Furthermore AA years ago changed their web online radio button from a choice of LOWEST FARE or REFUNDABLE to LOWEST FARE or FULLY FLEXIBLE. To clarify for all fully flexible is not refundable. This is clearly deceptive marketing at the minimum.
Potreroflyr likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you filed your lawsuit yet?
seawolf, Bear96, jhartvu and 7 others like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I'm sure that lawsuit WILL BE more EFFECTIVE with CAPITALization at random.

Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

I have no desire to file a lawsuit. Capital letters of particular words are not random.
Potreroflyr likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The bigger crime is not refunding people after a 3:59 minute schedule change!!!
cmd320 and Smiley90 like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Centurion
I have no desire to file a lawsuit. Capital letters of particular words are not random.

So if asked "Why Not?" you can answer your own question...
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Gee Tom, Could it be possible that I know there have been successful lawsuits on what I would consider de minimis items and if you read into my post you will find at least TWO items that are clearly worthy of changed behavior by American which would be desired outcome.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 9:33 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Because they're not hidden? https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...f-carriage.jsp
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:01 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
You can log a complaint with the DOT. Keep us posted on how that goes.
LovePrunes, cmd320 and wylek like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can ABSOLUTELY view the fare rules before you enter your payment information.

What would you POSSIBLY sue them over?
jhartvu likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

That is the condition of carriage not the fare rules

Originally Posted by thatmikereed
scoonee likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

1. The fare rules are after payment information is entered and the very last item before payment in fine print.
2. American has replaced the words FULLY REFUNDABLE with FULLY FLEXIBLE on their radio buttons. This is clearly deceptive.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You can ABSOLUTELY view the fare rules before you enter your payment information.

What would you POSSIBLY sue them over?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Having just read the AA fare rules for a random domestic ticket, I'm actually surprised that the rules are more or less in English. I think it's Delta whose fare rules — to which a customer allegedly agrees — are a jumble of undefined and deeply confusing abbreviations that only a trained ticket agent (or, perhaps, over-invested FTer) could understand. I have wondered how a court could enforce DL's fare rules against a passenger. But I'm not in a position to give legal advice on that.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:01 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
In order to file a lawsuit for deceptive practices, you must generally prove:

- The deceptive practice influenced your selection of goods
- You suffered damages as a result

So, what AA product did you buy that you otherwise wouldn’t have if you had easier access to the fare rules, and what damages did you suffer as a result?

Looking on aa.com, it’s seems generally quite clear whether tickets are non-changeable, changeable with fee, or fully cancelable.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can cancel your ticket within 24 hours if you discover you don't like something about it soon after purchasing it.
carlosdca and LovePrunes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.