Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
American Airlines announced that starting in 2022, the way to earn Elite status has changed. No more Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS), or Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD)!

Now, you can get AA Elite status by earning Loyalty Points (LPs): https://aadvantagestatus.com/?anchor...=newaadvantage

How many LPs do I need for elite status?

Code:
Gold:       40K
Platinum:   75K
Plat Pro:  125K
EXP:       200K
How do I earn LPs?

Flying
What you get for redeemable miles (RDM) is what you'll get for LPs.

AA and B6 flights:
No status: 5 LPs per $ spent in base fare plus fees (excludes taxes)
Gold: 7 LPs per $
Platinum: 8 LPs per $
Plat Pro: 9 LPs per $
EXP: 11 LPs per $

Partner flights (other than B6):
Distance flown x accrual rate* x (1 + cabin bonus + elite bonus**)

* Certain discount fares earn less than 100% of miles flown. In those cases, the discounted accrual rate (0% to 75% depending on the partner and the fare class) should be applied to the flown miles. Otherwise, the accrual rate is 100%. If there is a cabin bonus, it should not be added to the accrual rate; it is applied separately within the parentheses. The accrual rate can never be more than 100%.
** 40% for GLD, 60% for PLT, 80% for PRO, 120% for EXP.

So for example, an EXP on a 5000-mile flight on QR booked in J would earn 5000 x 100% x (1 + 25% + 120%) = 5000 x 1 x 2.45 = 12250 LPs.

A PLT on the same flight booked in P would earn 5000 x 75% x (1 + 0% + 60%) = 5000 x .75 x 1.6 = 6000 LPs.

Earning chart for QR

Here's a great online LP calculator:

https://lpcalculator.com/#/calculator/

AAdvantage non-flying partners:
Generally, 1 LP per base mile earned. But in many cases you can earn large bonuses that post as base miles; see link here: https://exploreamerican.com/newaadva...nloyaltypoints

There are differences among how these programs work, ranging from minor to significant, in terms of awarding LPs. You will need to skim through the thread as there are too many different promo offers to address here. But here are the popular ones:

BookAAHotels and RocketMiles: You can earn large mileage bonuses here, separated into "base" miles and "promo" miles by the portals. For now they are all posting as base miles on aa.com, but there is a suspicion that the "promo" miles may start posting as bonus miles (and so would not count as LP). You don't even have to actually check in or stay at the hotel as long as you pay for the stay.

SimplyMiles: You must link a MasterCard to the account. Then you can add their promos to your card by activating the offers. When you accept one of their offers and then pay for it using your linked card, you will get the associated miles which currently post as base miles on aa.com.

AAdvantage eShopping: Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.
(If a vendor has offers with both SimplyMiles and eShopping, activate the offer on SimplyMiles first and then make the purchase through eShopping with the MasterCard linked to your SimplyMiles account. Apparently that you can get a double-dip. You can also get a double-dip by stacking the promos with discount offers from your credit card issuers, basically reducing the cost to you.

Booking directly with hotels, car rental companies, etc.: The picture here is a bit unclear but it appears that if you book with a hotel that offers 5x miles, only 1 mile will post as base and the rest as bonus.

Credit card spend:
1 LP per $ spent on an AA branded card (except for one card which earns 0.50 LP per $ and several non-US cards which earn 2 LP per $). See the list of cards, and a lot more small print here: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard

What about spending bonuses?
E.g., your card gives 2x miles for hotels, or 3x for AA purchases, etc etc. These do NOT count.

These bonuses count:
Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard (the $450 annual fee card that gives Admirals Club access): 10K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend for the year.
AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard: 5K LP bonus when hitting $20K spend, another 5K LP bonus when hitting $40K spend, and another 5K LP bonus when hitting $50K spend for the year.

Do miles earned at Bask Bank count?
No.

Will Loyalty Points count toward Million Miler status?
No, Million Miler℠ status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and its partners.

Print Wikipost

Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
Duplicate post sorry.
mods please delete
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: Many Affiliations: AA ExPlat, AA MM Gold Lifetime+, Hilton Diamond and such
Originally Posted by vasantn
No, I don't think we are getting our point across. LPs = RDMs in all cases. That's all there is.

I'm not sure I even understand what you are looking for, but I'll give you the whole spectrum of LP calculations for this theoretical SFO-LHR-SFO flight (10,734 miles per Great Circle Mapper) for a fare net of taxes of $4,700. (I have no idea what the 15% tax has to do with anything.)

BA-numbered flight in F: 45,083
BA-numbered flight in A: 39,716
AA-numbered flight in ANY FARE CODE: 51,700

The above are for an EXP. For a PLT, the respective numbers would be:

BA-numbered flight in F: 38,642
BA-numbered flight in A: 33,275
AA-numbered flight in ANY FARE CODE: 37,600

So yes, there is an elite or status bonus for the AA-numbered flight as well as the BA-numbered flight. I think this exercise will help.

Keep repeating LPs = RDMs until you truly believe it. It seems you didn't read any part of the explanation in my previous post.

And as I suggested before, read the material in this link, substituting "loyalty points" for "award miles", because they are equivalent now.
OK. So you used $4700 Net of Taxes. I was saying use a 15% tax and fee burden because if the fare is $4,700, you don’t earn LP on the full-fare. You have to subtract the taxes and fees before using the AA Numbered flight. That reduces the calculation on the AA flight. But, that’s OK. It doesn’t matter for the BA Calculation.

But… I have a problem with what you are saying AA Flight in any FARE CODE. Sure… It’s the SPEND at $4,700 Net Of Taxes and fees that drives the AA LPs so high. That’s what grows this. Now… do it this way. Exactly what I flew on December 12 2021.

Same route, same distance, except in BA Booking in “T.” Let’s call the AA Spend Net of Taxes $2,500 for an AA “W” class booking. But I would like to see your math please. Not just the final numbers. I would like to see how you get to these final calculations. I will provide some additional input after seeing the math.

Again, thanks for leading me down this path.

Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by oldAGE
Same route, same distance, except in BA Booking in “T.” Let’s call the AA Spend Net of Taxes $2,500 for an AA “W” class booking. But I would like to see your math please. Not just the final numbers. I would like to see how you get to these final calculations. I will provide some additional input after seeing the math.
AA: $2,500 x 11 = 27,500 LPs

BA: 10,734 miles (full accrual rate, no cabin bonus for T) + (10,734 x 120% elite bonus for EXP) = 10,734 + 12,881 = 23,615 LPs

And now I'm done. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That depends if it's an upgrade or an upfare. I'm not sure which screen you are talking about.

If it's a paid upgrade you don't earn anything for it. If they are just selling you a ticket in the next class of service then you will earn for it (since it's part of the fare)

Another way of thinking about this is, last year, how many RDM would you have earned for that ticket? That's how many LP you will earn this year.
I took a screen shot
Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
Please let me know which card can get me into Flagship Lounge?
Yes I noticed that word "flagship" in his post and so I edited mine before you quoted it 🤣

But my point stands I think. I get that a good lounge is a better experience than any F experience, but I'm more concerned with avoiding the horrible experience that's flying economy than getting into the occasional nice lounge. Even the best lounge is not going to be anywhere near the highlight of my trip (hopefully)

Basically flying domestically without status is something I work hard to avoid, and if I have to do it I usually end up paying for first or at least the equivalent of MCE on whatever airline it is. And that gets expensive
Old Feb 6, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't get it. I would rather wait in the terminal for my first class seat then wait in the lounge for my economy seat. Do even get MCE with your OW status? Or are you stuck in 57B between 300lb weightlifter and the crying kid with the mom and her other 2 kids across the aisle?
I only buy premium fares, so upgrades and MCE do not matter to me.

On my way to BA Gold which will provide me with 3 free checked luggages at 70lb a piece, too. Also valuable to me.
renila and cheltzel like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Spanish
I only buy premium fares, so upgrades and MCE do not matter to me.

On my way to BA Gold which will provide me with 3 free checked luggages at 70lb a piece, too. Also valuable to me.
+1

If you use the Loyalty Point Calculator mentioned a few posts prior to this, you will find that 2 or 3 long haul CW or First flights will get you to OW Sapphire very easily. With some additional short range trips and a modicum of credit card spend, OW Emerald is easily attainable if everything is credited to AA. It won't get lounge access on domestic flights, but that is easily taken care of by credit card memberships.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
That's awesome. Do you know who developed it? I built my own calculator which works exactly the same, but my user interface is nowhere near as slick. This one is really cool.
Another AA fanboy and EP who also has expertise in database and software. He also has a windows desktop app with more features (I have never used it since I mostly use Mac or Chromebooks) and a FB page.

Below are the links to both:

https://www.rbase.com/lpcalculator/?...Gje3EA_P2waMUA

https://www.facebook.com/lpcalculator
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: Many Affiliations: AA ExPlat, AA MM Gold Lifetime+, Hilton Diamond and such
AA: $2,500 x 11 = 27,500 LPs

BA: 10,734 miles (full accrual rate, no cabin bonus for T) + (10,734 x 120% elite bonus for EXP) = 10,734 + 12,881 = 23,615 LPs

And now I'm done. Hope this helps.
OK. Thanks. It is very helpful.

So let me add some context to these queries. The BA route earns 23,615 LPs according to the use of Elite Bonus for EXP when booking in T on BA Marketed flights. Add 1,546 miles in BA "K" and that adds 1,690 additional LPs (50% of 1,546 (MAD-LHR-MAD) + 120% EXP bonus). This addition is me actually flying MAD-LHR-SFO round-trip. Final earnings for round-trip according to you guys is 25,305. This trip priced out at $790 USDs on BA Marketing and the exact flights and route on AA was around $1,793 and net taxes and fees would calculate at around 1,590 x 11 = 17,490 LPs. This means the BA earnings on a ticket that truly costs more than 50% less earns 44.5% more LPs than flying on the native carrier's marketed tickets and flights. And American Airlines receives what from BA and OneWorld for me to earn status from them? I don't know the answer to that. You can currently find this routing for about $850 or so on BA. I flew this seven weeks ago.

Next, at $790 per ticket on BA and 25,305 LPs per $790 spend, according to the current charts, in order to reach EXP on this route and cost alone - not including any credit card spend LPs, etc. it would take almost eight (7.9) trips to reach 200,000 Loyalty points. $790 x 8 = $6,320. And I could have actually booked this trip for as little as $680. But there's a story why I didn't. It has to do with Cape Town and Omicron. Anyway....

So.. your formula adds 120% against Base Miles (flight distance) for EXP Bonus to be added to the loyalty points calculations. In all the documents that you, and VegasGambler, and Skunker keep throwing out there and at me, there is nothing in these documents that literally say something like -- "In order to calculate LPs earned on OneWorld Marketed flights, you use the distance, add Status Bonus, plus Cabin Bonus (if any) to calculate the LPs earned..." But, it actually does state this. Right from the Loyalty Points Webpage:
  • Flights marketed by oneworld airlines: Loyalty Point eligible miles include base miles earned according to the distance flown plus cabin bonuses where applicable. Both the base miles and cabin bonus miles earned will count toward Loyalty Points

I don't care about the glossy webpage that says "earnings with Partners" (because you do earn Status Bonuses with Partners when the ticket is Marketed by AA) and there are two distinct "partners" -- AA Partners (like JetBlue) and OneWorld Partners. And both are treated differently. And even within the two Partner Groups, there are further differences in Elite Status earnings.

Earn miles

You can earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on British Airways marketed and operated flights as well as British Airways codeshare flights operated by British Airways affiliate airlines BA Cityflyer, Comair or Sun-Air of Scandinavia, or other oneworld® carriers.

Here's how:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route
The number of miles you earn depends on the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket.

When you earn eligible AAdvantage® miles for travel on British Airways, you’ll also earn Loyalty Points that count toward qualifying for AAdvantage® status.

If the booking code for the ticket you buy isn’t listed in the tables, you won’t earn AAdvantage® miles or Loyalty Points.

Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA flight number) and operated by British Airways will earn AAdvantage® miles, Loyalty Points, Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs), Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) and Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQDs) according to the American mileage accrual chart.

I see nowhere and find nothing that states "OneWorld Marketed Base Miles are calculated by taking the distance flown multiplied by 120% for EXP members." I don't see how this equates to Miles Flown when it's a multiplier for Dollars Spent on AA Marketed Flights. Again, this is all about Loyalty Points and not RDMs and Award Miles and MillionMiler Miles.

Now... to acquiesce, I look forward to possibly spending 50-60% less in USDs to earn EXP than I have had to over the past what... eight or nine (or more) years? I didn't realize that American Airlines has become so generous in their old age.

Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... there is nothing in these documents that literally say something like -- "In order to calculate LPs earned on OneWorld Marketed flights, you use the distance, add Status Bonus, plus Cabin Bonus (if any) to calculate the LPs earned ...

Again, this is all about Loyalty Points and not RDMs and Award Miles and MillionMiler Miles.
In any new program rollout there will be inconsistencies in wording that will eventually be resolved. I really don't want to spend my Sunday rehashing this question so let's just wait until March and see how it all shakes out. But I'll close by reiterating that as far as flight activity is concerned, Loyalty Points, RDMs, and Award Miles (which are the same as RDMs) are all equal under the new program. (MM miles are still based on BIS miles.)
jediwho likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

When I click on the little "i" icon in the "1 Eligible AAdvantage ® Mile" circle, I find this language:

"Eligible AAdvantage® Miles include all base miles you earn, as well as elite bonus and cabin bonus miles you earn from flying. See FAQs for exclusions."

(Emphasis added.)

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 6, 2022 at 10:19 am
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976

When I click on the little "i" icon in the "1 Eligible AAdvantage ® Mile" circle, I find this language:

"Eligible AAdvantage® Miles include all base miles you earn, as well as elite bonus and cabin bonus miles you earn from flying. See FAQs for exclusions."
This has been pointed out to the poster at least twice before. But glossy webpages don't count, or something like that.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:19 am

This has been pointed out to the poster at least twice before. But glossy webpages don't count, or something like that.
Stop saying that. You can paste these glossy pages here all you want but you absolutely ignore the fact that the little "i" does not differentiate between AA Marketed and OneWorld Marketed tickets. It's intentionally vague. "See the FAQs for Exclusions." And all through my posts -- I am pasting the FAQs for OneWorld Marketed tickets.

And, yes. I don't want to waste your Sunday. Thanks again for participating in the conversation and allowing me to attempt to prove my point. We'll see what March brings.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by guv1976

(Emphasis added.)
As noted before, I've tried for a while to try to show how he is mistaken using multiple sources of evidence, but the only thing he believes is the lack of the words "elite bonus" in one question of the FAQ originally posted in October.
We will all find out in a few weeks.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can paste these glossy pages here all you want but you absolutely ignore the fact that the little "i" does not differentiate between AA Marketed and OneWorld Marketed tickets.
That's because there is no difference. Both earn 1 LP per RDM earned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.