FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Award Flight compensation?: Death of a Thousand Delays. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2055904-award-flight-compensation-death-thousand-delays.html)

PaperGlider Oct 18, 2021 8:24 am

Award Flight compensation?: Death of a Thousand Delays.

Some days ago, my flight was delayed by many hours for multiple reasons (plane delayed getting to a major hub, crew late, mechanical, etc) It eventually left the next day after multiple hours of delays the next day (crew late, mechanical, etc)
Is a re-instatement of the points used a reasonable compensation?
What are people getting in compensation for last week's problems with flights?

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 18, 2021 8:29 am

AA will give you some miles and that's about it. You can always write in and ask for miles to be refunded.

PaperGlider Oct 18, 2021 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George (Post 33654243)
AA will give you some miles and that's about it. You can always write in and ask for miles to be refunded.

Thanks. AA said they aren't giving back the miles!

To whom do I write the request for reinstating the miles please? Thanks

SKYEG Oct 18, 2021 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider (Post 33655344)
Thanks. AA said they aren't giving back the miles!

To whom do I write the request for reinstating the miles please? Thanks

https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=#/

If you're EXP I'd email the Executive liaison too. Very helpful. Much more than even the exp desk as they are more consistent, and I get the same liaison replying back to me every time so I almost feel like she might know me a little personally (for all the communication and help she gave me this year)! Always end up with great service and results.

olouie Oct 18, 2021 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG (Post 33655355)
https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=#/

If you're EXP I'd email the Executive liaison too. Very helpful. Much more than even the exp desk as they are more consistent, and I get the same liaison replying back to me every time so I almost feel like she might know me a little personally (for all the communication and help she gave me this year)! Always end up with great service and results.

Executive liaison? Had no idea that existed. Where do you find their email?

SKYEG Oct 18, 2021 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by olouie (Post 33655437)
Executive liaison? Had no idea that existed. Where do you find their email?

I don't think it's published, but the executive office contacted me. PM me if you want the info.

There's a bit of info on them on this thread : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ter-thd-7.html

They seem to contact Concierge Key and EXP, and a few high spend Plat Pros

Catbert10 Oct 18, 2021 4:21 pm

Honestly, I think the OP is wasting their time trying to get a refund of their miles. Would the OP expect a refund of their money if it were a revenue ticket? Probably get some miles or a travel credit as compensation, but not a refund.

PaperGlider Oct 18, 2021 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10 (Post 33655585)
Honestly, I think the OP is wasting their time trying to get a refund of their miles. Would the OP expect a refund of their money if it were a revenue ticket? Probably get some miles or a travel credit as compensation, but not a refund.

Yep, I do expect a refund or compensation.

AA did not provide transportation as contracted and this had significant impact upon me and others traveling hours to meet me. The passengers were being shined on and used as pawns .

It's not much in value but I was treated badly in an underhanded way through no fault of my own. The more they blow smoke at me, the more I'll pursue.

garykung Oct 18, 2021 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider (Post 33654229)

Absolutely not. Logically speaking, once the miles are used, they are gone. There is no such thing as reinstatement after the fact.

However, if you are able to convince AA, AA can provide a goodwill gesture that can be less/equal/more than the cost of your award ticket.

I am not sure about the detail of your interaction with AA. But I am sure that you asked the wrong question, i.e. you can ask to be compensated, but not to be refunded.

PaperGlider Oct 18, 2021 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by garykung (Post 33655715)
Absolutely not. Logically speaking, once the miles are used, they are gone. ...

Logically speaking, lol.

If I use a $5 bill to buy something. I don't care if it's the same $5 bill that I get back or whether that $5 is called a refund, compensation, or wink-wink, logically speaking.

olouie Oct 19, 2021 12:13 am

Originally Posted by PaperGlider (Post 33655661)
Yep, I do expect a refund or compensation.

AA did not provide transportation as contracted and this had significant impact upon me and others traveling hours to meet me. The passengers were being shined on and used as pawns .

It's not much in value but I was treated badly in an underhanded way through no fault of my own. The more they blow smoke at me, the more I'll pursue.

Not sure where you have been recently but airlines’ only real obligation to passengers is to get you to your destination … eventually. Even for paying passengers they don’t have to get you there in time or in a customer friendly way. Now if you didn’t take a flight they may refund you but even if paying cash once you take the flight you’re pretty much at their mercy for some goodwill compensation unless it’s to/from the EU and under EU261 comp.

D3Kingg Oct 19, 2021 2:13 am

Some days ago, my flight was delayed by many hours for multiple reasons (plane delayed getting to a major hub, crew late, mechanical, etc) It eventually left the next day after multiple hours of delays the next day (crew late, mechanical, etc)

wow. You’ve been through a lot.

miklcct Oct 19, 2021 5:26 am

Isn't this covered by EU261?

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 19, 2021 5:26 am

Not sure if the OP is an EXP but EXP isn't what it once was. AA would prefer to sell F seats cheap rather than give them to EXPs for free. AA no longer has the benefit of free alcohol and food in Y to EXPs.

xliioper Oct 19, 2021 6:48 am

Originally Posted by miklcct (Post 33656682)
Isn't this covered by EU261?

Not if these were US domestic flights.