Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award Flight compensation?: Death of a Thousand Delays.

Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.

Some days ago, my flight was delayed by many hours for multiple reasons (plane delayed getting to a major hub, crew late, mechanical, etc) It eventually left the next day after multiple hours of delays the next day (crew late, mechanical, etc)
Is a re-instatement of the points used a reasonable compensation?
What are people getting in compensation for last week's problems with flights?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
AA will give you some miles and that's about it. You can always write in and ask for miles to be refunded.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
AA will give you some miles and that's about it. You can always write in and ask for miles to be refunded.

Thanks. AA said they aren't giving back the miles!

To whom do I write the request for reinstating the miles please? Thanks
Old Oct 18, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Thanks. AA said they aren't giving back the miles!

To whom do I write the request for reinstating the miles please? Thanks
https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=#/

If you're EXP I'd email the Executive liaison too. Very helpful. Much more than even the exp desk as they are more consistent, and I get the same liaison replying back to me every time so I almost feel like she might know me a little personally (for all the communication and help she gave me this year)! Always end up with great service and results.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG
https://www.aa.com/contact/forms?topic=#/

If you're EXP I'd email the Executive liaison too. Very helpful. Much more than even the exp desk as they are more consistent, and I get the same liaison replying back to me every time so I almost feel like she might know me a little personally (for all the communication and help she gave me this year)! Always end up with great service and results.
Executive liaison? Had no idea that existed. Where do you find their email?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by olouie
Executive liaison? Had no idea that existed. Where do you find their email?
I don't think it's published, but the executive office contacted me. PM me if you want the info.

There's a bit of info on them on this thread : Call / calls from AA Executive Office / EXP Liaison / Customer Care (master thd)

They seem to contact Concierge Key and EXP, and a few high spend Plat Pros
PaperGlider likes this.

Last edited by SKYEG; Oct 18, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:21 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Honestly, I think the OP is wasting their time trying to get a refund of their miles. Would the OP expect a refund of their money if it were a revenue ticket? Probably get some miles or a travel credit as compensation, but not a refund.
nancypants, bosman and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Catbert10
Honestly, I think the OP is wasting their time trying to get a refund of their miles. Would the OP expect a refund of their money if it were a revenue ticket? Probably get some miles or a travel credit as compensation, but not a refund.
Yep, I do expect a refund or compensation.

AA did not provide transportation as contracted and this had significant impact upon me and others traveling hours to meet me. The passengers were being shined on and used as pawns .

It's not much in value but I was treated badly in an underhanded way through no fault of my own. The more they blow smoke at me, the more I'll pursue.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Absolutely not. Logically speaking, once the miles are used, they are gone. There is no such thing as reinstatement after the fact.

However, if you are able to convince AA, AA can provide a goodwill gesture that can be less/equal/more than the cost of your award ticket.

I am not sure about the detail of your interaction with AA. But I am sure that you asked the wrong question, i.e. you can ask to be compensated, but not to be refunded.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Absolutely not. Logically speaking, once the miles are used, they are gone. ...
Logically speaking, lol.

If I use a $5 bill to buy something. I don't care if it's the same $5 bill that I get back or whether that $5 is called a refund, compensation, or wink-wink, logically speaking.
olouie and Tanic like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 12:13 am

Yep, I do expect a refund or compensation.

AA did not provide transportation as contracted and this had significant impact upon me and others traveling hours to meet me. The passengers were being shined on and used as pawns .

It's not much in value but I was treated badly in an underhanded way through no fault of my own. The more they blow smoke at me, the more I'll pursue.
Not sure where you have been recently but airlines only real obligation to passengers is to get you to your destination eventually. Even for paying passengers they dont have to get you there in time or in a customer friendly way. Now if you didnt take a flight they may refund you but even if paying cash once you take the flight youre pretty much at their mercy for some goodwill compensation unless its to/from the EU and under EU261 comp.
Tanic and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 2:13 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Some days ago, my flight was delayed by many hours for multiple reasons (plane delayed getting to a major hub, crew late, mechanical, etc) It eventually left the next day after multiple hours of delays the next day (crew late, mechanical, etc)
wow. Youve been through a lot.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 5:26 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Isn't this covered by EU261?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Not sure if the OP is an EXP but EXP isn't what it once was. AA would prefer to sell F seats cheap rather than give them to EXPs for free. AA no longer has the benefit of free alcohol and food in Y to EXPs.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miklcct
Isn't this covered by EU261?
Not if these were US domestic flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.