Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Business Extra "One Segment Upgrades" - Useless?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold

So I have some business extra points to cash in and the "one segment upgrades" look like a great option.... untill you look at the fare class restrictions. All of my upcoming flights are in restricted fare classes. My gut tells me that unless I'm paying ludicrous fares I'll never be able to use these. Anyone beg to differ? Curious what other rewards people feel are actually usable and a good value.... rock on.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by milohoss
So I have some business extra points to cash in and the "one segment upgrades" look like a great option.... untill you look at the fare class restrictions. All of my upcoming flights are in restricted fare classes. My gut tells me that unless I'm paying ludicrous fares I'll never be able to use these. Anyone beg to differ? Curious what other rewards people feel are actually usable and a good value.... rock on.
you can get some good deals upgrading to Hawaii JFK/LAX or SFO (where you can go J/F)
milohoss and Beltway2A like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
You can also upfare certain segments or trips by calling aa.com.
milohoss, thorofare and JJeffrey like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
The fare restrictions are what they are, it's been this way for years. But it's a stretch to say these awards are "useless" or that the only way you can use one is by paying "ludicrous" fares. How much extra a BE upgrade eligible fare is will entirely depend on the cities and market, etc., in some cases it won't be much extra at all while in other cases it very well may be ludicrous.

The last time I used BE points for an upgrade I booked a cheapo PE fare to MXP for around $800, when the cheapest economy was $750, so essentially $50 more.

You just have to be cognizant that you have a BE upgrade to use and plan accordingly.

As to what other awards people feel are usable, well any BE flight award uses the same general availability as if you were using AA miles for sAAver space, so naturally that's going to vary. I've had no problem using BE points for int'l business class awards to Europe and SYD but again I know what to look for.

And I'm sure this will get merged but here's your thread:

Business Extra ("ExtrAA") Program (master thread)
dstan, DMPHL and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
The G & V fares are often just tens of dollars more than N/O/Q/S. But I wouldn't buy the higher fare unless there is confirmable "C" space available to upgrade into; that is the big restriction.

Also it doesn't sound like this is for you, but buying discount J (an "I fare") and upgrading to F (if you can find "A" upgrade space) on an A321T or 77W route is an excellent use of these upgrades.
jcatman, renila, NYC Flyer and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
They are actually a great value if you know how to optimize these upgrades since you aren't PP or CK and otherwise wouldn't get complimentary upgrades.

Consider:

DFW HNL/OGG (Y to J only since AA doesn't sell 4-cabin F on these markets)

CLT HNL and ORD HNL (seasonal)

MIA LAX (either Y to J or J to F depending on the aircraft since only the 77Ws have true F)

JFK LAX/SFO (either Y to J or J to F; J to F is considered a great upgrade for many)

If you are flexible, there are fairly low "G" and "V" fares as others already mentioned to which you can apply this type of upgrade instrument

Originally Posted by donotblink
you can get some good deals upgrading to Hawaii JFK/LAX or SFO (where you can go J/F)
Yes, but you would need multiple certificates since these upgrades are limited to a single segment
Antarius and milohoss like this.

Last edited by fly747first; Oct 14, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Old Oct 14, 2021, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold
What's upfaring? meaning I call them up and pay the fare difference to go up to whatever the eligable fare class is?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
What's upfaring? meaning I call them up and pay the fare difference to go up to whatever the eligable fare class is?
You got it.

To really excel at this game, it helps to have ExpertFlyer, so for any given city pair and date you can look up all the fares filed so you know what specifically to ask for when you call.
Antarius and afmiami like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You got it.

To really excel at this game, it helps to have ExpertFlyer, so for any given city pair and date you can look up all the fares filed so you know what specifically to ask for when you call.
On top of that, use ITA Matrix and search for fares other than B N O Q S to see what the cheapest eligible fare is for your flight. There are ample resources online to help use Matrix.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I've always gotten good use of them on JFK-LAX/SFO A321T J and F upgrades. Never found the required fare classes too restrictive. BXP1s are also good on government (GSA) contract fares (typically G or Y class) that cannot be upgraded using SWUs.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Well, there are other things you can use points for, and it costs you nothing more to get them. If you are meeting AA's planned $5000 per year minimum spending (soon for newly created accounts, and Jan 1, 2023 for existing accounts), and with the ability to extend points for another year, you should be able to have enough for other redeemable options like the 2000 points for a domestic roundtrip. I have had zero issues using the domestic upgrade on not very high fares, like a $100 fare from DFW to LAX on a 789. (Economy to Business)
Old Oct 14, 2021, 10:58 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
The G & V fares are often just tens of dollars more than N/O/Q/S. But I wouldn't buy the higher fare unless there is confirmable "C" space available to upgrade into; that is the big restriction. [...]
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I've always gotten good use of them on JFK-LAX/SFO A321T J and F upgrades. Never found the required fare classes too restrictive. BXP1s are also good on government (GSA) contract fares (typically G or Y class) that cannot be upgraded using SWUs.

-FlyerBeek
Are regular consumers allowed to upfare into G, or is that restricted for government usage?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Are regular consumers allowed to upfare into G, or is that restricted for government usage?
G is also a standard fare class—it’s the associated fare basis code (that starts with G) that is specific to government fares that user was referring to.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:23 am

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by donotblink
G is also a standard fare class—it’s the associated fare basis code (that starts with G) that is specific to government fares that user was referring to.
Ah so you should just upfare into the lowest available class? E.g. No need to do V, if G is available (because G is a standard fare class)?
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by futuramadramallama; Oct 15, 2021 at 1:41 am Reason: Extra Word
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Ah so if you should just upfare into the lowest available class? E.g. No need to do V, if G is available (because G is a standard fare class)?
yes, I believe the order is Y, H, K, M, L, G, V, S, N, Q and O followed by B for basic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.