Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cancellation policy now functionally equivalent to Southwest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Executive Platinum

I'm considering switching my status goal to AA from Southwest, and trying to figure out if the cancellation process is now essentially as beneficial. With Southwest, if I cancel a paid flight, I get the flight credits immediately, which are valid for up to a year. I can then rebook and cancel a flight using that credit as many times as I want to. Is this the same with AA now with the no cancellation/change fee policy (given Main Cabin or higher)? In other words, can I retain and reuse a canceled flight credit as many times as I want, without restriction, for a year following the original flight date?

It looks like the new "Trip Credit" approach from AA is actually more flexible than Southwest - you can use up to 8 at a time, versus only 3 with Southwest.

So, has this move essentially leveled the playing field between AA and Southwest, perhaps even giving an edge to American?
cache77 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by FrankMorris
So, has this move essentially leveled the playing field between AA and Southwest, perhaps even giving an edge to American?
I was thinking about this too. Also, I've noticed on many if my routes, they no long impose that elite tax price difference from BE to Main. It's just Main pricing, and that's a no brainer for anyone with elite status to chose over their competitors, assuming the same or similar price.

Now, not sure how long this pricing will last, but I'd definitely enjoy it, for now.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
I was thinking about this too. Also, I've noticed on many if my routes, they no long impose that elite tax price difference from BE to Main. It's just Main pricing, and that's a no brainer for anyone with elite status to chose over their competitors, assuming the same or similar price.

Now, not sure how long this pricing will last, but I'd definitely enjoy it, for now.
I've noticed that as well - with both United & American. I actually can't find any BE tickets available on any routes I'm searching, with the exception of Europe, which both UA and AA are offering.

From memory, with United, the upgrade from BE to E is a massive increase in price for the routes I searched. I don't remember how those were with American.

Updated question: Are you noticing/thinking that the Main Cabin pricing is actually the normal Basic Economy pricing, and that if/when things change, Main Cabin will be higher? I'm wondering because I'm trying to do a pretty thorough review of UA vs AA for my travel, and I'm seeing pricing very, very consistent between UA and AA with a lot of routes - often down the dollar. However, if Main/BE pricing is re-introduced with a lot of these routes, and one airline tends to charge a lot more for main cabin/economy vs basic economy, that could certainly make a difference (of course, along with how frequently BE is actually offered).

Last edited by FrankMorris; Oct 11, 2021 at 11:50 am Reason: Updated question
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I've noticed that as well - with both United & American. I actually can't find any BE tickets available on any routes I'm searching, with the exception of Europe, which both UA and AA are offering.

From memory, with United, the upgrade from BE to E is a massive increase in price for the routes I searched. I don't remember how those were with American.
I saw BE for DFW-PIA when I was searching a couple of weeks ago for travel Oct 21-25. I was going to take it because it was a good savings, and with lifetime PLT status, I don't need EQM/D/S to requalify
I decided not to take the trip because I remembered I have a Broadway series subscription at Bass Performance Hall in Ft Worth, and had forgotten the first show is that week
Flyertalk related because the first show (Come From Away) is about 9//11 and the diversion of US bound planes to Gander
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:06 pm

IUpdated question: Are you noticing/thinking that the Main Cabin pricing is actually the normal Basic Economy pricing, and that if/when things change, Main Cabin will be higher?
It appears so, at least from my routes. For instance, LAX/PHX to LAS is a flat $40 - $49 for Main, whereas in the past, you'd have to tack on at least $30 for Main. Same with SFO to LAX, JFK, etc. You're right about UA, the increase from BE to Main is almost double the price, at least on my routes.

My guess is that this is temporary, and I have no idea why they're doing this. I mean, they've devoted so much time and market to sell the "BE is good because it gives you options" to turn back now. I'd love if they did, and it would likely force the rest to reverse course on this BE thing, but I just don't see that happening.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

It appears so, at least from my routes. For instance, LAX/PHX to LAS is a flat $40 - $49 for Main, whereas in the past, you'd have to tack on at least $30 for Main. Same with SFO to LAX, JFK, etc. You're right about UA, the increase from BE to Main is almost double the price, at least on my routes.

My guess is that this is temporary, and I have no idea why they're doing this. I mean, they've devoted so much time and market to sell the "BE is good because it gives you options" to turn back now. I'd love if they did, and it would likely force the rest to reverse course on this BE thing, but I just don't see that happening.
Have you noticed a similar increase in pricing between BE and Main Cabin with American by chance?
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
I saw BE for DFW-PIA when I was searching a couple of weeks ago for travel Oct 21-25. I was going to take it because it was a good savings, and with lifetime PLT status, I don't need EQM/D/S to requalify
I decided not to take the trip because I remembered I have a Broadway series subscription at Bass Performance Hall in Ft Worth, and had forgotten the first show is that week
Flyertalk related because the first show (Come From Away) is about 9//11 and the diversion of US bound planes to Gander
Will be interesting to see if they come back full force.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:35 pm

Have you noticed a similar increase in pricing between BE and Main Cabin with American by chance?
If I recall, again this is from the SFO perspective, they're similar? AS & AA tend to have had a similar increase, while UA/DL/B6 seem to be higher? Generally, I'd say from my experience, the AA increase seemed to be on average less than UA's on similar routes. Now, don't get me wrong, it's still a substantial increase, but didn't appear as eye-gouging high as UA, DL and B6 respectively.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:22 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
The real question to me is whether you have access to the credit immediately as you do on Wn or whether you have to wait for AA to process the credit which could take real time.
I have been buying most of my tickets on WN because of their flexibility for the last several years.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by abk
The real question to me is whether you have access to the credit immediately as you do on Wn or whether you have to wait for AA to process the credit which could take real time.
I have been buying most of my tickets on WN because of their flexibility for the last several years.
Recently, it's been immediate when I've had to cancel. Not sure if has anything to their recently converting from what appears a "flight credit" to a "trip credit" system where you can use up to 8 on a single tix.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Recently, it's been immediate when I've had to cancel. Not sure if has anything to their recently converting from what appears a "flight credit" to a "trip credit" system where you can use up to 8 on a single tix.
The Trip Credit system seems to be a game changer. They seem to have finally gotten the message that user experience is important with small things like that with frequent travelers who have to cancel, rebook, etc.
Visconti, S80, Tack and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:56 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
The Trip Credit system seems to be a game changer. They seem to have finally gotten the message that user experience is important with small things like that with frequent travelers who have to cancel, rebook, etc.
It's most likely also cheaper for them as well, since calling in to book takes up an agents time each time vs the one-time initial cost of building out a system to accept it online.
Tack and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by S80
It's most likely also cheaper for them as well, since calling in to book takes up an agents time each time vs the one-time initial cost of building out a system to accept it online.
I am new to AA and am a regular WN customer. I have points with AA. If I book a flight on points with AA and cancel it do i get my points back, same way WN handles their point flight cancellations? How much notice do I have to give AA on a cancellation? Can I cancel same day? TIA.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by ave1024
I am new to AA and am a regular WN customer. I have points with AA. If I book a flight on points with AA and cancel it do i get my points back, same way WN handles their point flight cancellations? How much notice do I have to give AA on a cancellation? Can I cancel same day? TIA.
If you cancel for now it’s full mileage reinstatement. You have to cancel before check in cut off time which is 45-60 min before the flight. (I suppose you can cancel up to 15 min before departure if you check in).
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA pulled their domestic BE fares a little over a year ago, so it's actually been awhile. They have apparently brought them back on a few routes, but the majority of domestic routes do not have BE fare filings on AA. DL and UA have been ratcheting down their BE fare differentials over the few last months and it's now $25 on many routes while it had been up to $40 back in the spring. UA has dropped BE fares on a number of more competitive routes (particularly routes out of ORD where WN has competing non-stops out of MDW). AS has mostly stuck to it's differentials with many longer routes being $50 and shorter ones having $20 - $30 differentials.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 11, 2021 at 6:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.