Alcohol announcements in cabin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021 | 2:28 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: American Airlines
Alcohol announcements in cabin

Noticed recently AA has added some announcements in addition to the normal federal mandate for mask wearing. I cant remember verbatim but its something to the effect that bringing alcohol on board and self serving it to yourself is prohibited.

Maybe if they brought back alcohol sales and stop using covid as a cheapness excuse (dont forget F class passengers are immune to covid as alcohol is available) that announcement wouldnt be needed.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 2:51 pm
50 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Yeah, on my recent flight (I was in bulkhead Y), the FA said "There is no alcohol on this flight." Fifteen minutes later I watched some of the FC passengers enjoying their mixed drinks! Ha!
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by enviroian
Noticed recently AA has added some announcements in addition to the normal federal mandate for mask wearing. I cant remember verbatim but its something to the effect that bringing alcohol on board and self serving it to yourself is prohibited.

Maybe if they brought back alcohol sales and stop using covid as a cheapness excuse (dont forget F class passengers are immune to covid as alcohol is available) that announcement wouldnt be needed.
I flew recently and heard this message too. It has nothing to do with covid and everything to do with drunks in coach. From an economic standpoint, i am sure the cost of diverting a flight is higher than the profit from coach alcohol sales on that same flight. They have been hardasses about drinking your own booze for decades!!! Only thing new is that they tell you beforehand.
dw, Redhead, TWA884 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This is about appeasing the FAs union. Pure and simple. IDK if alcohol will ever be available again in coach. It's a sign of the times and I'll leave it there. The announcements sound more and more like what you might hear after you've boarded a prison bus. See my previous sentence. As soon as I get onboard I put ear buds in my ear and listen to music as not to hear the repetitive prison guard like announcements.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 3:47 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
This is about appeasing the FAs union. Pure and simple. IDK if alcohol will ever be available again in coach. It's a sign of the times and I'll leave it there. The announcements sound more and more like what you might hear after you've boarded a prison bus. See my previous sentence. As soon as I get onboard I put ear buds in my ear and listen to music as not to hear the repetitive prison guard like announcements.
Prisoners are not strapped into seats and regularly and loudly solicited for credit cards. They would riot. There would be 8th amendment lawsuits.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
I flew recently and heard this message too. It has nothing to do with covid and everything to do with drunks in coach. From an economic standpoint, i am sure the cost of diverting a flight is higher than the profit from coach alcohol sales on that same flight. They have been hardasses about drinking your own booze for decades!!! Only thing new is that they tell you beforehand.
You are correct that drinking your own booze is not allowed. That said, the argument about drunks in coach is weak because
1. Despite no alcohol on board, people still show up drunk
2. Despite no alcohol, fights and anti mask idiots causing trouble are still happening
3. Alcohol is still served in F, which seems to have no issues
SK, aamilesslave, corky and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 3:55 pm
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I spoke to the lead FA on a recent flight and they were saying that they have absolutely no idea if / when they will bring back alcohol in coach. They implied that as long as the mask mandate remains in force then alcohol will be a no no. They also announced that AA had banned 4000 people from flying as a result of not following the mask mandate and / or being disruptive.
volabam and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited60 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
True, but not every flight with alcohol sales in coach is diverted. The correct comparison is profit from alcohol sales versus the probability increase of diversion due to alcohol sales times the cost of a diversion. Not all alcohol sales lead to diversions and not all diversions occur because of alcohol sales.
SK, writerguyfl, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 4:04 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
UA also announces no self-serve alcohol. That said, at least UA has gone back to limited alcohol sales in coach. The complete ban of alcohol in Y on AA is all about appeasing the union. If the union had its way, alcohol would be banned in F as well.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I heard this announcement on a Delta flight yesterday (which does sell alcohol).

IIRC, even pre-COVID, I had heard it on American occasionally. But its much more consistent now.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 5:18 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
True, but not every flight with alcohol sales in coach is diverted... Not all alcohol sales lead to diversions and not all diversions occur because of alcohol sales.
Exactly! Since DL/UA resumed alcohol service in Y, exactly how many inflight diversions have there been due to alcohol-induced mask-noncompliance? At this point AA cannot even pretend this is about anything other than APFA appeasement.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 5:27 pm
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Catbert10
UA also announces no self-serve alcohol. That said, at least UA has gone back to limited alcohol sales in coach. The complete ban of alcohol in Y on AA is all about appeasing the union. If the union had its way, alcohol would be banned in F as well.
If the unions had their way, AA would not be flying and getting paid regardless. It almost makes me hope that one day the management gets pissed enough with the unions and liquidates the airline just to get rid of them.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
It's pretty ironic AA bans alcohol with a drunk at the helm.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 7:28 pm
50 Countries Visited5M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Exactly! Since DL/UA resumed alcohol service in Y, exactly how many inflight diversions have there been due to alcohol-induced mask-noncompliance? At this point AA cannot even pretend this is about anything other than APFA appeasement.

-FlyerBeek
There does seem to be an unusual amount of disorder on American domestic flights at the moment, so I can certainly see the reluctance that airlines will have at bringing back the alcohol.
Old Sep 28, 2021 | 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
There does seem to be an unusual amount of disorder on American domestic flights at the moment, so I can certainly see the reluctance that airlines will have at bringing back the alcohol.
All which happened during the lack of alcohol sales.

If AA was selling alcohol and then this started happening, then sure. But not what's happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.