Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Would you consider this window is mine to control or the person in from of me

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you consider this window is mine to control or the person in from of me

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
<snipped> I've done the same with the armrests. They go to scratch their nose, BOOM, my arm has taken the armrest. They STILL want to get extra close? That's fine, I'm gay, feel free to sleep upright and rub arms with major skin to skin contact... I am probably not into it but surely you're more uncomfortable with this?
You never asked, but the middle person should have both armrests, no doubt about it.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
OFEB - So the window belongs to 1A on odd-numbered flights and 2A on even-numbered.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 10:44 pm

Gotta paper rock scissors for it
Old Aug 28, 2021, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Same question goes for those bigger football player types, stuck in middle seats because they were too cheap or didn't pay attention when booking, who take up both armrests AND THEN SOME
Not to get off the thread topic, but my rule is, the middle seat gets both armrests. Let's face it, the middle sucks! I'm a small guy and happily lean against the window all flight so I'll throw them a bone. I did have a rather large pax in the middle a couple months ago that a lot more than just arms occupied both armrests. And even as far against the window as I could get there was still skin to skin contact the whole flight.

Back on topic, I choose window seats to have a window view, but I try to be observant of surrounding pax that might be bothered by an open window and close when appropriate. It seems the general consensus is to keep windows closed, a change from what I remember many years ago.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by mxracer95
Not to get off the thread topic, but my rule is, the middle seat gets both armrests. Let's face it, the middle sucks! I'm a small guy and happily lean against the window all flight so I'll throw them a bone. I did have a rather large pax in the middle a couple months ago that a lot more than just arms occupied both armrests. And even as far against the window as I could get there was still skin to skin contact the whole flight.

Back on topic, I choose window seats to have a window view, but I try to be observant of surrounding pax that might be bothered by an open window and close when appropriate. It seems the general consensus is to keep windows closed, a change from what I remember many years ago.
I choose window seats to have a window view, too. However, when there's bright sun streaming into the aircraft, I'll lower the shade 75% of the way down. This blocks most of the sunlight that affects other passengers, while still enabling me to see the ground out the window. I also try to book the shady side of the aircraft, partly because the view is much better on the shady side, but also to avoid disrupting other passengers when I leave the window shade open.

Nobody has ever asked me to lower the shade further; keeping the shade 75% closed seems to be a compromise that everyone can live with.
onanisland likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Shorts in F?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Danwriter
Shorts in F?
All the time
LovePrunes and hbtr like this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 12:14 pm

Shorts in F?

Cmon, he's likely not sitting there in a speedo. You have an issue with him wearing shorts because why?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Shorts in F?
I mean, it’s AA domestic F, it’s essentially a bad version of premium economy on most airlines.

If this is the Oasis dumpster fire of a 737 I think it is, I tend to think of that window as row 1s when reclined and row 2s when not. At least that’s how I treat it when I’m in 1. If I’m stuck in row 1 and row 2 hasn’t yet arrived I usually raise it before they get there.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 1:12 pm

I've also worn shorts in the best of the best F. Etihad, Emirates, Cathay.. you name it. Do I care that most of the people around me are dressed in Hugo Boss suits? Couldn't give a lick. I like to be comfy when flying.
LovePrunes and hbtr like this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Shorts in F?
I was wearing very nice khaki shorts with a nice shirt and shoes. I believe I was completely appropriately dressed for this flight.

This is AA F we are talking about, not Emirates.
LovePrunes, hbtr, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 2:47 pm

"keeps reaching back to push down the shade" implies that you kept pushing it back up, at which point it doesn't matter whose window shade it is, because you both think it's yours and both want the opposite of what the other wants.

While I'd personally say the window shade is more yours than his based on its position, but I'm honestly more sympathetic to 1A because I've been in the unfortunate position of getting blasted by heat / glare from an open window behind me, and it sucks – more so than "oh, I can't see the pretty view" or "there's not enough natural sunlight to read my book."
Old Aug 30, 2021, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by enviroian
I was wearing very nice khaki shorts with a nice shirt and shoes. I believe I was completely appropriately dressed for this flight.
Peaches, you paid for the flight, so you can wear whatever you want.

I’ve worn shorts on Emirates F, JAL, CX, NH, KE, CI, LH and a few more I’m sure I’ve forgotten. Not even talking about faux F from US carriers internationally. If you want to pay for my F seat, then, maybe, you can tell me what to wear.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by cova
It is not done just because of window, but In cases where the offending person has their phone or iPad out and it is positioned (inadvertently) so that the intense blinding sun is reflecting from it and directly into my face. The light going back is not from the window direct but from their mobile device. So light bouncing around via mirrors.

This happens usually in F, from the person in the left Window seat and I am in the right aisle seat. I am sure others have seen a bright spot shining on the ceiling of the plane. And at 6am - the sun is low enough and the angle is just right to reflect at eye level to the person across the aisle. Sometime it can even be the person in the window seat left side one row back.

I take lots of 6am flights - so this is very common- not a one off.
"Hey—is there any chance I could ask you to close the window? The sun is actually reflecting from your ipad straight onto me and it's super intense. Really appreciate it."

it's utterly beyond me the length people will go to not just make a simple, direct, polite request.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by mxracer95

Originally Posted by mvoight
You never asked, but the middle person should have both armrests, no doubt about it.
I'll let you guys win the middle seat gets the armrest war, but to what extent? At a MINIMUM especially on some plane configurations, that armrest far edge should be an invisible border line. If you are way hanging over it with your jacket or arms and I have to twist my body just to fit ok in the aisle or window seat, that's a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.