Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Possible to Change Trip Credit to Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2021, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM

Hello,

I purchased an award flight and paid for MCE seat. My plans changed and I canceled the award flight, and I received the miles/taxes back.

I submitted a request on prefunds.aa.com to get the MCE seat money back, but chose to receive Trip Credit instead of refund. I received the email today that the MCE fee is now saved for future use as a Trip Credit. I don’t know if I’ll be able to use it in the next year, no travel planned.

Is there a way to go back to AA and ask if they can change from Trip Credit to refund? Anyone done this before?

Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EP
Don’t believe so as MCE seats are non refundable.

Originally Posted by AAMCI
Hello,

I purchased an award flight and paid for MCE seat. My plans changed and I canceled the award flight, and I received the miles/taxes back.

I submitted a request on prefunds.aa.com to get the MCE seat money back, but chose to receive Trip Credit instead of refund. I received the email today that the MCE fee is now saved for future use as a Trip Credit. I don’t know if I’ll be able to use it in the next year, no travel planned.

Is there a way to go back to AA and ask if they can change from Trip Credit to refund? Anyone done this before?

Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Perhaps related and a strategy for you, I'm planning to use a flight credit to book a flight 10 months out betting on either significant schedule change or change from direct to one-stop, which should be enough for a refund. At the very least, would extend the flight credit by a year, no?
Old Aug 23, 2021, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Perhaps related and a strategy for you, I'm planning to use a flight credit to book a flight 10 months out betting on either significant schedule change or change from direct to one-stop, which should be enough for a refund. At the very least, would extend the flight credit by a year, no?
I found this blog post that explains how to do what you are talking about:

https://millionmilesecrets.com/guide...into-evoucher/

For the small Trip Credit that I have ($37), not sure this is worth the time/effort. I was hoping that I could just refund the money (I did have other MCE seat fees that I was able to refund for flights that I cancelled. I messed up this one MCE fee and chose the trip credit option instead of the refund option, prefunds.aa.com is a bit misleading/confusing when going through the process).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.