Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No alcohol on AA until 2022 (Main Cabin)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
No alcohol on AA until 2022 (Main Cabin)

It looks like AA is extending the ban on alcohol in the Main Cabin until 1/18/2022 (to coincide with the new mask mandate end date).
cblaisd and DeepUnderground like this.

Last edited by GNRMatt; Aug 19, 2021 at 10:48 am Reason: Removed link to CNN article to be compliant with FT T&C
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Exp., AC 75k, A3 Silver, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum
Will this also include food sales?
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I honestly can't imagine why people even fly AA in Y anymore. Every single other Y option is either better or cheaper. Can't see anything AA brings to the table.
Spiff, af fp, chrisny2 and 19 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
I honestly can't imagine why people even fly AA in Y anymore. Every single other Y option is either better or cheaper. Can't see anything AA brings to the table.
If you fly out of Charlotte, DFW, Phoenix, Miami, or Philly...
renila, jmj9905, pa3lsvt and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Agreed. I just might take the shuttle to E for Delta now!
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I think it's reached the point now where, for me, Spirit is a better option to the East Coast. And now that AA is cancelling non-stops to Europe from DFW, United and Delta become just as (in)convenient for me for transatlantic flights. Also, the CDG Admirals Club remains closed. So, unless I'm going to LHR what's the point?

I don't mean to get off topic, but AA's flight attendants on PHL-DFW last week actually drew their curtains and hid. I challenge anyone, I really do, to report a similar event on NK. At least their FAs are invariably cheerful and helpful . . . especially when they serve food and drinks, which NK still has.

AA? Bah, humbug.
Spiff, chrisny2, Catbert10 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rucksack
If you fly out of Charlotte, DFW, Phoenix, Miami, or Philly...
Every one of these cities sees service from the complete roster of major US airlines...
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:03 am

And meanwhile Doug Parker is scratching his head wondering why passengers are getting loaded before flights and bringing their own booze on board. At least when American is serving alcohol, they can refuse to serve those who are intoxicated. I know it's illegal to serve yourself alcohol on flights, but that's hardly going to stop the type of people who are flouting mask mandates and it isn't realistic for FAs to be expected to catch this.
lowfareair, corky, N1120A and 11 others like this.

Last edited by rucksack; Aug 19, 2021 at 11:27 am
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:16 am
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
Feels like AA needs to do *something* for executive platinums stuck in coach?
Also kills one of the big selling points of the aviator silver
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
I just flew AS for the first time this past weekend on PHX-SEA-PHX and it was a much better experience. Complimentary alcohol in Y for being OW Sapphire and a complimentary Chocolate. Only EXP's get that kind of treatment in Y on AA. As far as any West Coast flights are concerned, I'd rather fly on AS and credit it to AA. I will still use AA for any East Coast/TransCon/International flights but at this point, I could not recommend AA to any of my friends who mostly travel in Y. It's really bad.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:22 am

Every one of these cities sees service from the complete roster of major US airlines...
Not really. American owns 92% of the available seats in Charlotte, 86% in Dallas, and the majority of seats in the other markets I mentioned as well. There's not much competition in these cities outside a few major routes served by other airlines. Plus, if you live in these cities, you're likely to be hub-captive due to loyalty programs.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by DJZ
Feels like AA needs to do *something* for executive platinums stuck in coach?
Also kills one of the big selling points of the aviator silver
Totally agree.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:28 am
Suspended

Unless it's a company paid trip I don't fly AA Y anymore, especially when the F prices aren't that much more.

On the topic of the thread, absolutely ridiculous.
cmd320 and carmelsown like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
They have to be costing themselves money here, I don't for a second imagine they were losing money on Y F&B pre pandemic.
N1120A, carmelsown and Check like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rucksack
Not really. American owns 92% of the available seats in Charlotte, 86% in Dallas, and the majority of seats in the other markets I mentioned as well. There's not much competition in these cities outside a few major routes served by other airlines. Plus, if you live in these cities, you're likely to be hub-captive due to loyalty programs.
Really. CLT is served by B6, DL, F9, NK, UA, and WN. Same for pretty much every other city you mentioned. I never said anything about market share, but the reality is with a single stop you can get pretty much anywhere you want to go domestically on any other airline.

If you're simply looking to avoid having a connection, that's another story, personally I don't really factor that in much given I connect on 90%+ of my itineraries and have no problem doing so if it means avoiding a subpar product. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.