Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When it rains, AA shuts down. Are the other majors as bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2021, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

AA canceled a huge slew of flights today from DFW and I was a victim of one of them (dfw-phx then dfw-sna). It rained today. Yep rained. AA shuts down. WHY???
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Yeah it's ridiculous, if it's hurricane or T-storms it's one thing but if it's just rain it's a bit ridiculous. Unfortunately I don't know if it's better at other hubs/airlines.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaMD88
Yeah it's ridiculous, if it's hurricane or T-storms it's one thing but if it's just rain it's a bit ridiculous. Unfortunately I don't know if it's better at other hubs/airlines.
No storms just rain and not even heavy rain. Like a Seattle steady type. Rains? No plane for you. Canceled across the board. Meeting canceled, drove home.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by enviroian
AA canceled a huge slew of flights today from DFW and I was a victim of one of them (dfw-phx then dfw-sna). It rained today. Yep rained. AA shuts down. WHY???
AA's had major issues recently when storms have popped up in DFW and stranded crew/planes elsewhere. Suspect these were pre-emptive cancellations to try and avoid that sort of fiasco assuming more significant thunderstorms than the ones that actually popped up in DFW.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
In my experience AA is significantly worse than UA and DL when it comes to restoring operations and having spares availability at its hubs, particularly DFW. I've seen a relatively minor 30 minute afternoon storm in DFW cripple the entire AA domestic network for 36+ hours. The other legacy carriers seem to have a better capacity to recover operations, even though some of their hubs are much more susceptible to weather than DFW (such as MSP and DEN). Just my personal experience of 15+ years of heavy travel on AA, UA, and DL.

-FlyerBeek
vasantn, ccna101, cmd320 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 5:36 pm

The FAA is the one who initiated the ground stop and delay program today, maybe you should take it up with them
dw, renila, CPRich and 11 others like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
The FAA is the one who initiated the ground stop and delay program today, maybe you should take it up with them
At some point, the operating carrier also bears some responsibility. If the FAA issues a 1hr ground stop and 2 days later flights are still being cancelled because of it, is that really the FAA's fault?

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:12 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Current FAA status at DFW:

Dallas/Ft Worth International Airport, Dallas-Ft Worth, TX (DFW) is currently experiencing delays averaging 4 hours and 49 minutes.

Sounds like a bit more than just light rain today. Word is there were also a number of diversions of flights headed to DFW today (50+ diverted)
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
At some point, the operating carrier also bears some responsibility. If the FAA issues a 1hr ground stop and 2 days later flights are still being cancelled because of it, is that really the FAA's fault?

-FlyerBeek
But, there were FAA restrictions today...... AND 2 days ago......
Blame them
DrinkSlinger likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PPro, LT Gold
All flights to IAH were also canceled this evening. 4800 was about to board when the pilot came off the AC and told the GA to hold off with boarding. Shortly after that they announced that the flight was canceled.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaMD88
The FAA issued restrictions today, so what was AA supposed to do, ignore them?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I wonder if the rain at ground level was just a minor sign of some major atmospheric disturbance higher up?
dw likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dw
Sounds like a bit more than just light rain today. Word is there were also a number of diversions of flights headed to DFW today (50+ diverted)
no there wasn’t. There was intermittent rain, sometimes heavy.

this is 2021 not 1911. Can an airline not fly its planes in the rain?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:28 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb

There must have been a reason 50+ flights diverted? Definitely not a regular ops day at DFW
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold

Sure sounds like there were thunderstorms in the area today to me...

chrisny2, wrp96, Antarius and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.