Wiki Posts
Search

6+ hour weather delay - compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK
6+ hour weather delay - compensation?

traveling back on AA this weekend and was stuck at the Miami airport from my scheduled 9 pm flight till 3:35 am - miami to dca. they wouldn't cancel the flight, just kept delaying it every 20 or 30 minutes, waiting for a diverted plane from palm beach to land. would i be able to get any compensation from AA and how would i go about getting it?
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by nuzbim
traveling back on AA this weekend and was stuck at the Miami airport from my scheduled 9 pm flight till 3:35 am - miami to dca. they wouldn't cancel the flight, just kept delaying it every 20 or 30 minutes, waiting for a diverted plane from palm beach to land. would i be able to get any compensation from AA and how would i go about getting it?
You're not entitled to any compensation since the delay was weather-related. If you have status, you might get a pittance of miles as a goodwill gesture. In order to possible receive compensation, submit a complaint here.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No compensation for weather delays in the US.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Compensation for weather? How is this the fault of AA?
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:57 am

As others have said no compensation for weather and AA offered free travel changes to anyone flying through MIA this weekend. I changed from Saturday to Sunday.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mvoight
It isn't. But the stupid rolling delays of ........ is 100% AA's fault. If the aircraft is diverted, there is a 0% chance the flight will take off 20 minutes late. May as well let people relax a little.

All this said, no compensation is due.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Antarius
It isn't. But the stupid rolling delays of ........ is 100% AA's fault. If the aircraft is diverted, there is a 0% chance the flight will take off 20 minutes late. May as well let people relax a little.
Yep. Sounds like it was a pack it up and go home day at MIA. Too bad AA didn't make that clear to pax as opposed to letting them hope in vain an aircraft would magically appear to tranport them onward.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
I generally agree that weather-related delays fall into the "sh*t happens" category that aren't an airline's fault. However, just because there's bad weather impacting an airline's network doesn't mean the airline is just absolved of any responsibility. For example, on one of my recent flights, there was a 30 minute delay in pushing back because the bags were loaded incorrectly and there was a load balancing issue that needed to be fixed. By the time we hit the taxiway, westbound takeoffs were grounded due to inclement weather to the west and we were delayed another hour to get rerouted to a different runway. I'm sure this delay was categorized as "weather-related," but if there hadn't been the load balancing issue, we would have missed the weather and taken off on time. Similarly, other things under an airline's control (like scheduling and IRROPS handling) can mean the difference between a small delay and an extensive one.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep. Sounds like it was a pack it up and go home day at MIA. Too bad AA didn't make that clear to pax as opposed to letting them hope in vain an aircraft would magically appear to tranport them onward.
...but the flight did actually leave - just six hours late. I would consider that a pretty good result considering the conditions. No compensation.
AAExecPlatFlier likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by dls25
...but the flight did actually leave - just six hours late. I would consider that a pretty good result considering the conditions. No compensation.
Not sure I would ever call spending six hours at MIA on a weather delay a good result, but yes it could have been worse!
NWplatinum and michael1023 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK
Originally Posted by rucksack
You're not entitled to any compensation since the delay was weather-related. If you have status, you might get a pittance of miles as a goodwill gesture. In order to possible receive compensation, submit a complaint here.
thanks, i submitted a claim. i am not expecting anything. everyone was frustrated with the lack of communication and the fact that they just kept delaying every time the Count down to board hit 30 minutes. when the gate agent wasn't hiding in the back, she would come out and say it's not cancelled and we would know within the hour. would have been nice to find a bench to nap on or get away from the large crowd to have some space.

appreciate everyone's responses, thank you.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
thanks, i submitted a claim. i am not expecting anything. everyone was frustrated with the lack of communication and the fact that they just kept delaying every time the Count down to board hit 30 minutes. when the gate agent wasn't hiding in the back, she would come out and say it's not cancelled and we would know within the hour. would have been nice to find a bench to nap on or get away from the large crowd to have some space.

appreciate everyone's responses, thank you.
I find the constant kicking of the ball 3 yards further down the field to worthy of complete scorn. If your flight is going to be 120 minutes delayed and your aircraft is physically in a different city, DO NOT tell us that its just 20 more minutes. I could spend at least 90 of that 120 minute delay being productive and at work in the AC or in the Amex lounge.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Just cancel the damn flight AA so we can make other plans up to and including going home or getting a hotel. Leaving at 3 am is all but useless for most people and would be for me. AA and these stupid 30 minute rolling delays. They won't cancel because once they do that have to accommodate IE $$ and that is their last resort. If this was a 9 am flight sure that's one thing but the middle of the night? Although while I agree with others OP isn't due an comp b/c of wx I also say to having this flight take off in the middle of the night.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I agree that everyone would be better served if the flight was just cancelled rather than subjected to rolling delays. Weather is not the fault of the airlines, but I do like how in the US there is generally a very relaxed attitude to rebooking.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I agree that everyone would be better served if the flight was just cancelled rather than subjected to rolling delays. Weather is not the fault of the airlines, but I do like how in the US there is generally a very relaxed attitude to rebooking.
wouldnt rolling delays but just about worse for everyone? gate agents, flight staff, passengers etc...this way instead of crowding around a gate for hours on end, everyone can find a lounge, quiet gate area, heck even a hotel room if its several hours during an overnight flight

Last edited by michael1023; Aug 16, 2021 at 11:50 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.