Search

JFK-DFW flight question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2021, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
JFK-DFW flight question

I'm flying lhr-jfk-dfw later in September on a Sunday. Unfortunately I have over a 5 hour layover which I'm not happy (hopefully more award flights will open up just before and hopefully I can change to a more suitable flight and this entire post will be moot) about. I checked out the flight schedules--looks like only 1 early AM flight and the 6 Pm flight I"m booked on. I then looked at flight award to get an idea of flight times of flight 1767 but it's not on the schedule just yet.

Is it possible this flight time may change? I'm surprised there isn't more than 2 nonstops jfk-dfw.

ETA. wrong forum please. Can you move to AA. Thanks

Last edited by enviroian; Aug 9, 2021 at 3:22 pm
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:39 pm

Most "NYC" - DFW flights leave from LGA. Sample 9/8 - 7 flights leaving about every 1.5 hours starting at 8:30
crackjack likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This option is available. Is this possible without spending a fortune to get to EWR?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
If you change to that then you'll have to make your way from JFK to EWR on your own dime.

JFK to DFW (and ORD) has always had very limited frequencies, sometimes as few as 1x daily, almost always timed for the sole purpose of connecting to/from the JFK TATL bank. Local O&D traffic use the many flights to LGA and EWR.

Is there anything available from LGA?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
From JFK to EWR isn't THAT bad on public transit... One just has to take Airtrain to Jamaica, then LIRR to Penn station, then Amtrak to Newark Liberty station, then Airtrain to EWR. No traffic or buses or crowded subway or anything like that.

That being said - I would rather have a 1 hour longer layover than traveling around NYC. IIRC, the FL in JFK is operating as an AC, but it is at least something
MarkOK and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If I stay at jfk it’s 5.5 hours and I get in at 9:20 pm. If I head to liberty i get in at 7:30.

I’m good with trains. I know London and Chicago trains like the back of my hand but not familiar with NY trains so I have a little angst. However I’d much rather take trains to kill time and get in 2 hours earlier.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Honestly, I'd look for an LGA-DFW flight and just take a cab. Can you train from JFK-EWR, sure but it will take 2 hours +/- with a number of train changes at a cost of $20+. Cab ride/uber fro JFK to LGA is 20-30 minutes and I would guess roughly comparable cost.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The LGA flight option was 400k miles in F. Lol
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have no problem getting to ewr. When I see my mom in the UK I take tube + train + bus. Lol

if getting to ewr is relatively straight forward then I’m good. I have the res on hold for six days.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by shd9
From JFK to EWR isn't THAT bad on public transit... One just has to take Airtrain to Jamaica, then LIRR to Penn station, then Amtrak to Newark Liberty station, then Airtrain to EWR. No traffic or buses or crowded subway or anything like that.

That being said - I would rather have a 1 hour longer layover than traveling around NYC. IIRC, the FL in JFK is operating as an AC, but it is at least something
This is accurate except that Penn Station to Newark Liberty Station, you can also just hop on NJ Transit. Amtrak doesn't run that frequently. Take whichever is available.

OP, the trains really aren't bad. Will probably end up being under 2 hours, but allow 2.5 max just in case of terrible connection times. The AirTrains on each end are just glorified airport trams, so you really just have two "trains" in the middle (LIRR to Penn Station, and Amtrak or NJ Transit from there to Newark Liberty Station).
enviroian, Air Houston and JPG3392 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by enviroian
The LGA flight option was 400k miles in F. Lol
Yes - that is hilarious - pure extortion. From Penn Station, there are 3 ways to EWR. NJ Transit, Amtrak and the Path trains. For sure NJ Transit is the best option (frequency, speed & cost).
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:36 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
This is accurate except that Penn Station to Newark Liberty Station, you can also just hop on NJ Transit. Amtrak doesn't run that frequently. Take whichever is available.

OP, the trains really aren't bad. Will probably end up being under 2 hours, but allow 2.5 max just in case of terrible connection times. The AirTrains on each end are just glorified airport trams, so you really just have two "trains" in the middle (LIRR to Penn Station, and Amtrak or NJ Transit from there to Newark Liberty Station).
Amtrak trains on the Northeast Corridor require advance reservations and NJ Transit does not. If you decide to take an Amtrak train, make sure you buy a ticket beforehand (e.g. in the app).

Expect the trains to be significantly less nice and less organized than in the United Kingdom. I would say comparable to Metra in Chicago.

I estimate you will spend about $38/person on the trains (both AirTrains cost money as well as the commuter railroads). I took a Lyft from LaGuardia to Newark at 9 pm recently and the fare was about $90 + tip (the PANYNJ information people actually suggested a Lyft over a cab due to price). I am the kind of guy that likes byzantine travel arrangements and trains, and I'd suggest taking a cab/Uber/Lyft on this one, if you choose to fly out of EWR.

If you choose the long layover at JFK, the TWA Hotel is worth a visit to see. I hear they have a bar and a rooftop pool from which to watch planes that are open to the public, but I don't know if those amenities are open right now.
scoonee likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:51 am

Programs: AA PRO, BA S
I would highly suggest you do not go JFK to EWR - traffic on that can be up to 2 hours. I believe if you’re flying late Sept the AA flagship lounge should have reopened - I would hang out there. To save 2 hours I would 100% not risk a misconnect by sitting in ewr traffic.

but yeah there used to be 4x daily JFK DFW, alas a victim of the pandemic.

your other option if you’re really so worried about connection time is book a cheap coach ticket lga-dfw and if you’re delayed, change/throw it away or if you land and traffic is fine, Uber up there.

edit: also taking public transport from jfk to ewr is not easy - frankly I’m amazed tourists can figure out jfk to Manhattan alone - adding 2 additional legs to that? I would be surprised if you don’t mess up

Last edited by perkerkeem; Aug 10, 2021 at 4:12 am
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm surprised there isn't more than 2 nonstops jfk-dfw.
Originally Posted by perkerkeem
but yeah there used to be 4x daily JFK DFW, alas a victim of the pandemic.
Even pre-pandemic there were very few flights JFK-DFW compared with LGA/EWR-DFW. For many years it was just 2-3x per day, the 4x daily was a relatively recent addition, IIRC. AA just doesn't have the connecting international traffic that cannot be served by nonstops from DFW and the O&D NYC-DFW traffic is going to strongly preference LGA or EWR.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 10, 2021, 4:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moderator note:

Transferring among airports in NYC is outside of the subject of this forum. Please review the relevant threads in the NYC forum:
JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)
LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Or the NYC forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.