Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help from the pros

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Help from the pros

Question on using Miles for overseas business class.
in 2019 I was able to find 3 business class on AA from fco to tpa for May 2020 for 63k each. Had to move cancel trip due to the mess going on. I’ve been looking daily in private mode for over 6 wks now. I find 57k almost everyday but the one I need, Thursday. The 57k is also using BA, was told not to use BA because of extra charges that’s not being shown. My question is, should I book BA and hope for AA to shows up? And why is almost everyday but the one I need showing the lower price.

Thanks
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Lgh34609
Question on using Miles for overseas business class.
in 2019 I was able to find 3 business class on AA from fco to tpa for May 2020 for 63k each. Had to move cancel trip due to the mess going on. I’ve been looking daily in private mode for over 6 wks now. I find 57k almost everyday but the one I need, Thursday. The 57k is also using BA, was told not to use BA because of extra charges that’s not being shown. My question is, should I book BA and hope for AA to shows up? And why is almost everyday but the one I need showing the lower price.

Thanks
You can see exactly what surcharges will be on the BA flights if you click through like you're going to buy them (or just look below the mileage amount on the award search results page). And the standard advice is to stay away from BA on the long haul segment, which is where the surcharges really sting. Using BA for intra-Europe to/from LHR isn't nearly as bad.

For example, FCO-LHR-JFK with BA FCO-LHR, then AA LHR-JFK, your total taxes fees are only around $110. But use BA for everything and that jumps to $430 each.

So it's up to you really if you want to book that, then just keep an eye on it and hopefully change to an AA routing if it opens up later (and get a refund of any surcharges).

And it's anyone's guess as to why the other days of the week are available but not your desired travel day. Thursday can be a busy day to/from Europe, flights are busier that day, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.