Search

How much is EXP really worth

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2021, 9:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
How much is EXP really worth

I am in a situation where I can get EXP or have platinum pro and BA silver. Since these are via challenges it looks like I won’t get elite choice rewards. However if anyone who has done a EXP challenge could comment on this that would be great. The whole EXP challenge is very unpublished. If I can’t get elite choice rewards it then goes down to how much more valuable is EXP benefits than platinum pro, and is it worth giving up flagship lounge access. How much better would my upgrades be as a EXP out of Ord vs PP. thanks!
bryanb likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Flagship lounge, or when it ever returns, is a minimal benefit IMO opinion at least. A free, average meal, and some drinks. System wide upgrades are the biggest selling point as one can upgrade from any coach fare however redeemability at booking is about as elusive a pre-covid PDB.

If you're Dallas based comp upgrades are few and far between. I'm at about 28% YTD upgrade rate ($15K EQD YTD)
Synapseturquoise and Spanish like this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by enviroian
Flagship lounge, or when it ever returns, is a minimal benefit IMO opinion at least. A free, average meal, and some drinks. System wide upgrades are the biggest selling point as one can upgrade from any coach fare however redeemability at booking is about as elusive a pre-covid PDB.

If you're Dallas based comp upgrades are few and far between. I'm at about 28% YTD upgrade rate ($15K EQD YTD)
As someone who's partial to a drink, I think you're underselling that - its free pour Grey Goose and the likes!
Old Jul 31, 2021, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
EXP phone service is excellent, which is important because the IT sucks. You will really notice the difference in both (phone agent quality (good) and IT quality (terrible)) coming from UA.

EXP upgrades were really easy until about May 2021. Now they are very difficult. AA has far fewer MCE seats than UA's E+, which means the risk is much higher you'll wind up in a very uncomfortable Y seat if you're not willing to pay for F. And on my routes, AA is now charging more for F than UA.

You will encounter an even higher number of truly unpleasant GAs and FAs on AA (especially if you fly through MIA). I know this sounds impossible, but it's true.

The one incomparable OWE benefit is F lounge access international. That's not worth much right now.
jcatman likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
EXP phone service is excellent, which is important because the IT sucks. You will really notice the difference in both (phone agent quality (good) and IT quality (terrible)) coming from UA.

EXP upgrades were really easy until about May 2021. Now they are very difficult. AA has far fewer MCE seats than UA's E+, which means the risk is much higher you'll wind up in a very uncomfortable Y seat if you're not willing to pay for F. And on my routes, AA is now charging more for F than UA.

You will encounter an even higher number of truly unpleasant GAs and FAs on AA (especially if you fly through MIA). I know this sounds impossible, but it's true.

The one incomparable OWE benefit is F lounge access international. That's not worth much right now.
Going to continue to be contrarian in this thread... but if you're on the ball the risk to ending up in a non-MCE seat is minimal imo (keep checking T-24 and invariably someone will get upgraded and leave 8A to you).

MCE is one of the few decent AA elite perks, it'll be a sad day when they start treating it as an 'upgrade' as AS and DL do with their products.
renila and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
I am in a situation where I can get EXP or have platinum pro and BA silver. Since these are via challenges it looks like I won’t get elite choice rewards. However if anyone who has done a EXP challenge could comment on this that would be great. The whole EXP challenge is very unpublished. If I can’t get elite choice rewards it then goes down to how much more valuable is EXP benefits than platinum pro, and is it worth giving up flagship lounge access. How much better would my upgrades be as a EXP out of Ord vs PP. thanks!
How much cash is AA requiring from you to do the challenge? (In addition to the dollars spent to pay for the air tickets)
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
How much cash is AA requiring from you to do the challenge? (In addition to the dollars spent to pay for the air tickets)
0 cash, it’s free
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It sounds like the consensus is that if I can get elite choice rewards it would be worth it. It would be super helpful if someone who has done a challenge recently can report if I get elite choice rewards. Thanks! The upgrade percentage between executive platinum and platinum pro also can’t be too different I imagine.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The upgrade percentage between executive platinum and platinum pro also can’t be too different I imagine.
You'll be at the bottom of the EXP hierarchy, which is based on 12 month rolling EQD.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PPro, LT Gold
You'll be at the bottom of the EXP hierarchy, which is based on 12 month rolling EQD.
But above PPro.
crackjack likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

don’t you thinks a lot of people haven’t been flying because of COVID, 4K EQD during a normal year would be horrible but during COVID I’m sure isn’t horrible.
renila likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Reima
But above PPro.
'
I highly doubt if they have enough free seats left for any EXP's there is nothing left for pro plats (let alone plat or gold)>
Old Jul 31, 2021, 3:53 pm

don’t you thinks a lot of people haven’t been flying because of COVID, 4K EQD during a normal year would be horrible but during COVID I’m sure isn’t horrible.
If they're not flying, they're not going to be waitlisted for an upgrade.

You'll be competing against EXPs who are flying, and they've all been given $3k EQD.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:11 pm

About tree fiddy
MIAFlyer, renila, jcatman and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
It sounds like the consensus is that if I can get elite choice rewards it would be worth it. It would be super helpful if someone who has done a challenge recently can report if I get elite choice rewards. Thanks! The upgrade percentage between executive platinum and platinum pro also can’t be too different I imagine.
My son did an exp challenge in 2019 and he recd 4 SWU (pre- elite choice).

Imho, About the only thing good about PPro is the OW status for lounge access. Though you’ve already heard opinions on that subject.

My wife (ten yr LPLT) is looking forward to making PPro, for the OW status, as we high high expectations of putting a lot of miles under us next year, and don’t always fly together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.