Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does complaining ever work?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2021, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Does complaining ever work?

The last 5 segments I've been on, there has been a delay of at least one hour. Very disappointing. A friend of mine (Exec Plat) claims he's gotten quite a few consolation points by submitting complaints to Customer Care. So I've sent off a few messages to them myself, but I have yet to receive a reply. Can I expect any points from these efforts? Note: I'm a lowly Platinum (as of today!).
Old Jul 30, 2021, 10:11 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by atsauveur
The last 5 segments I've been on, there has been a delay of at least one hour. Very disappointing. A friend of mine (Exec Plat) claims he's gotten quite a few consolation points by submitting complaints to Customer Care. So I've sent off a few messages to them myself, but I have yet to receive a reply. Can I expect any points from these efforts? Note: I'm a lowly Platinum (as of today!).
Yes, it works. But you need to be clear about how the delays affected you and what it cost. For example, you missed a meeting and thus you have to make another trip to meet the client, which will cost you another $xx in airfare. I’d also be judicious in how often you play that card. You don’t want to be know as a serial complainer always looking for handouts.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The Rabbi Ginsberg found out the hard way when Northwestern fired him for making too many claims. Unfortunatly for him SCOTUS backed the airline.

There are delays and there are delays. Are they annoying? Yes they are but many delays aren't the airlines fault such as weather.

Being a serial complainer over minor issues means when you really have a serious complaint you might find the airline is less than sympathetic.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
The only way AA gets my feedback is when they send a survey following a flight.

I also don’t want to be flagged as a serial complainer. In addition, 5000 - 10,000 miles is worthless to me. I value my time more than anything and unfortunately no amount of compensation gets that back.

Operationally AA was stellar a year ago (in my experience). Now they’re back to mediocrity. Yesterday I thought I was so clever when I changed to an earlier flight. Only to be delayed due to crew availability and not arriving until AFTER my originally scheduled flight.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tismfu
The only way AA gets my feedback is when they send a survey following a flight.

I also don’t want to be flagged as a serial complainer. In addition, 5000 - 10,000 miles is worthless to me. I value my time more than anything and unfortunately no amount of compensation gets that back.

Operationally AA was stellar a year ago (in my experience). Now they’re back to mediocrity. Yesterday I thought I was so clever when I changed to an earlier flight. Only to be delayed due to crew availability and not arriving until AFTER my originally scheduled flight.
To play devil's advocate, if you don't ever ask for concessions from AA, who cares if they flag you as a serial complainer?
Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Because if you do it too much for what they perceive as minor issues they can and will just shut your account down with the loss of your miles and status.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Does complaining ever work? It depends on your purpose.

If you complain in hope for actual improvement, it rarely works or takes a long time. But if the sole purpose is goodwill gesture, then depending on the airline's policy, it usually works.

However goodwill gesture is not without its limitation. So if the issue is trivia, don't bother.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The Rabbi Ginsberg found out the hard way when Northwestern fired him for making too many claims. Unfortunatly for him SCOTUS backed the airline.
Actually, SCOTUS did not rule on Ginsberg's problem with pmNW. Instead, SCOTUS ruled that Ginberg's contractual claim must be dismissed by the ADA preemption.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by garykung
Actually, SCOTUS did not rule on Ginsberg's problem with pmNW. Instead, SCOTUS ruled that Ginberg's contractual claim must be dismissed by the ADA preemption.
Yes. But in practical terms, that affirmed the airline's ability to make such moves unilaterally.

Also for context for other readers who may have taken a second for it to click - ADA is the Airline Deregulation Act (1978) and not the common parlance ADA relating to disability.
renila and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Antarius
But in practical terms, that affirmed the airline's ability to make such moves unilaterally.
It did no. Instead, SCOTUS deferred the problem to DOT. Whether DOT has worked on this would be beyond my knowledge.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
It does work. I just don't over do it. I normally fill out the surveys but once I did complain to AA about my seat in F not able to recline it back to a normal position as it was a safety Hazzard. The FA tried to help me when we were going to take off and it didn't work. They gave me 12k miles.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:23 am

Wow, it sure didn't work for me recently, and I thought I had a valid complaint. I had to have surgery just before I had AA airfare already booked. I followed AA guidelines and provided them with an explanation and a letter from my physician stating that I shouldn't be flying during that time. Just got the word this morning that they are declining my request, so my $3,000 first class airfare just went out the window. Will never set foot on AA again. (Oh...and I've never filed a complaint before)
corky likes this.

Last edited by Sharklovers; Aug 1, 2021 at 9:23 am Reason: Wording
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
AA does carefully track complaints submitted by each passenger. If you are CK or EXP, unless you are complaining left and right for no reason, AA will listen and issue compensation accordingly. All other tiers are going to get canned responses once they are flagged as chronic complainers.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
YMMV but generally legitimate gripes will be met with some form of compensation. I've certainly let AA hear it when an issue within their control resulted in some significant inconvenience for me--I recall once a TPAC flight went MX and left me with a day's delay, and on another occasion an arrival got parked at a gate without deboarding for well over an hour because someone on ground ops had taken the jetway key home with them (it was the last arrival of the day). Both got 10k miles compensation, if I recall. Granted, I was EXP at the time, but I reckon if AA's bungles cost you a measurable chunk of your life, you'll probably be taken seriously; persistently complaining about the amount of ice in the drinks or weather delays wouldn't be a winning strategy.

[Aside--got a very puzzled response from a phone agent when I joked that my Helix score must've been pretty high after another cancellation followed closely on the heels of the TPAC mentioned above.]
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Sharklovers
Wow, it sure didn't work for me recently, and I thought I had a valid complaint. I had to have surgery just before I had AA airfare already booked. I followed AA guidelines and provided them with an explanation and a letter from my physician stating that I shouldn't be flying during that time. Just got the word this morning that they are declining my request, so my $3,000 first class airfare just went out the window. Will never set foot on AA again. (Oh...and I've never filed a complaint before)
Isn't a F ticket refundable?
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:20 am

I purchased the ticket in 2020 and didn't re-book within a year...that's their rationalization for the denied compensation...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.