Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
They made this too tricky, with the segment upgrades and AA advertises the cheapest segment. Way too misleading.

They should give a range - like "Segment Upgrade from $79 to $369"
Old Jan 25, 2022, 12:30 pm

Be very careful if you only purchase one segment of a multi-segment trip. We had a Main PLus fare and upgraded the outbound to first for $100. GREAT!! Till I went back in and they had re-classified my entire ticket and I had to pay $83 per person AGAIN to get my main plus seats back on the segment we did not upgrade. Called and was told, too bad so sad - by upgrading the one segment your flight booking class changed and you need to pay AGAIN for the main plus seats.
A321T likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I was pondering on if I should upgrade my return to Flagship First from Business but do not see that offer now (already taken the outbound). Would calling help or is the offer only available till before the day of the flight?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I was offered a great deal on the app to upgrade my next trip. As y'all know, it's offered by segment now so I upgraded my outbound flight (2 segments) using the app offer and planned to "wait and see" on my flights (2 segments) back home. However, since I upgraded the outbound segments, I have not been offered an upgrade amount for the inbound segments. So, my question is, if you use the app upgrade offer to upgrade one part of your trip, are you not offered the option again for the other part of your trip?

Hope that makes sense!
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by RaindropT
I was offered a great deal on the app to upgrade my next trip. As y'all know, it's offered by segment now so I upgraded my outbound flight (2 segments) using the app offer and planned to "wait and see" on my flights (2 segments) back home. However, since I upgraded the outbound segments, I have not been offered an upgrade amount for the inbound segments. So, my question is, if you use the app upgrade offer to upgrade one part of your trip, are you not offered the option again for the other part of your trip?

Hope that makes sense!
That has been my experience.
RaindropT likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by _kurt
Credits can only be used for booking new itineraries, not for seat assignments or upgrades on existing itineraries
Does that include a straight upfare from Y to J?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Does that include a straight upfare from Y to J?
I was told the “new itineraries only” line when trying to change a main cabin flight to a flight only available in a higher fare bucket (still main cabin) on a different day. But in the end because I’d already flown part of the ticket they were able to do an even exchange. I know there used to be an exception where change fees were waived for upfares to a higher cabin but I’m not sure there is anything special for flight credits. Guess someone will have to call and try it.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 11:00 am

Has anyone noticed in-app upgrade offers on MC to flagship business?
I recently booked MIA-MAD in PE for $1000rt (MC was $500rt). I'm getting offers to upgrade from PE to biz for $500 each way. I'm wondering if I had booked MC, would I receive similar offers to upgrade MC to biz or would they offer upgrade MC to PE?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 2:05 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by mina c
Be very careful if you only purchase one segment of a multi-segment trip. We had a Main PLus fare and upgraded the outbound to first for $100. GREAT!! Till I went back in and they had re-classified my entire ticket and I had to pay $83 per person AGAIN to get my main plus seats back on the segment we did not upgrade. Called and was told, too bad so sad - by upgrading the one segment your flight booking class changed and you need to pay AGAIN for the main plus seats.
That is an outrageously unfair/rotten business practice.
mina c likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 7:25 pm

Does AA app offer 'upgrade your trip for $XXX' to basic economy ticket holders? I noticed I can pay for a extra legroom coach seat, but haven't gotten any paid upgrade offers to J or F. Flying SNA-JFK where the J and F cabins have 60% capacity still available. The trip is next week.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC
First time in recent memory I’ve actually bought a ticket direct from AA, and I’ve had similar experiences to others.

1.) Saw upgrade offers for all segments in app. Eventually bit at $360 for J to F on JFK-SFO. But other sectors LHR-JFK and back plus SFO-JFK were either expensive or plain silly. Thought I’d wait on those and see if they came down but now have no offers at all. Anyone ever had offers reappear? If not I will try at checkin desk.

2.) Also had weirdness when paying for it. At the final stage I got some error messages about systems being down and to try later or something. However the charge went through on my Amex and I was able to select a seat in F. Strangely never got any email confirm.

Last edited by RichieMc; Feb 21, 2022 at 3:18 pm
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mina c
I would have we expected that "rebooking" to meet AA's rules for getting the fee refunded
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
such a weird upgrade pricing. pretty good deal for first.

Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Amil
such a weird upgrade pricing. pretty good deal for first.

I wonder if the J upgrade offer on the first flight would be overselling the cabin and pushing someone else into F. The irony of paying extra for the upgrade just to also bump up someone else, lol.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Has anyone else seen upgrade offers that are more expensive than what it would cost to rebook into the higher cabin? The app is offering me $3150 to upgrade from premium economy to business, while it would only cost me $1682 to rebook into business. Seems broken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.