Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 12:31 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
One of the cheapest I’ve seen, 3 days out (was previously offered something in the $800 range and then the $600 range):

12/3 LAX-JFK, Y to Business, $242
Old Nov 30, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
$97 PHL-MCO-PHL 12/1 and 12/4

Hilarious considering the prices they tried to sell the F cabin were completely insane ($1300-$1,900). Most of the F cabin empty prior to TOD but was gone with TOD before the EXP window even opened. I'd imagine a few elites got upgraded but certainly no platinum or below. I used to be able to get these as a gold with stickers, or we buy F when the price isn't completely nuts. The flight times are not even ideal, very early. Very strange AA only has 4-5 flights a day right now too.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by airb330
$97 PHL-MCO-PHL 12/1 and 12/4

Hilarious considering the prices they tried to sell the F cabin were completely insane ($1300-$1,900). Most of the F cabin empty prior to TOD but was gone with TOD before the EXP window even opened. I'd imagine a few elites got upgraded but certainly no platinum or below. I used to be able to get these as a gold with stickers, or we buy F when the price isn't completely nuts. The flight times are not even ideal, very early. Very strange AA only has 4-5 flights a day right now too.
That's exactly what I imagine AA wants to happen.

Pivoting to a volume approach rather than individual unit economics - you'll have a few price agnostic people who'll pay the $500-1k+ for F and then rather than having a 25% paid/75% upgraded cabin its reversed to a 75% paid/25% upgraded cabin.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 6:12 pm

I have started buying the upgrade offers anytime they are reasonable (and I assess reasonableness based on flight time, aircraft, and cost). I am EXP primarily out of LAX and have been on way too many waiting lists where I am in the top 1-3 and no one clears. Not the end of the world to be in MCE for a short duration flight (2-3 hours), but definitely frustrating to see the cabin fill up with people purchasing upgrades for tens of dollars. I will always fly AA all else being equal, but with the change to LPs I can maintain at least PP-level status even if I split my flights between other airlines and the lack of upgrades (at least out of LAX on the routes I fly) removes the primary reason I want status.
econometrics and SFflyer20 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 12:06 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Has anyone ever gotten a paid upgrade offer on an award ticket?
writetorich likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC
I may have to cancel a trip end of this month. No problem taking the flight credit. But I also paid for an in app upgrade. Can I get this back as well? It was $600 J->F LHR-LAX so I’d obviously rather get it back!!
Old Dec 10, 2022, 8:22 am

Took an upgrade offer for a flight six weeks out from SNA-JFK for $432 to move from Y to J. Haven't seen many offers that good in awhile on the route. Although I used to be able to get transcon upgrade offers from Y to J in the high $400 range months in advance, AA now has most of my app upgrade offers priced higher than if I were to cancel my Y ticket and rebuy J on the website.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: Independent
Is there a way to "encourage" an offer? My wife and I are on separate reservations on a flight on 12/23, and I have an offer and she does not. I suspect it's because her ticket had some special circumstances (extended past expiry) and "can't be changed online", but I would like to upgrade us both because our flight is packed in economy.

I called phone support and they said they can't upgrade us both based solely on my online offer .
Old Dec 10, 2022, 3:04 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
On friday, December 23rd, I have a lunch time flight SAN-DFW on an A321. As a platinum pro, I can't imagine that I would have any kind of shot of getting an upgrade on that flight. The offer on the app was only $146. I took it.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
On friday, December 23rd, I have a lunch time flight SAN-DFW on an A321. As a platinum pro, I can't imagine that I would have any kind of shot of getting an upgrade on that flight. The offer on the app was only $146. I took it.
2 weeks ago, AA was offering upgrades SFO-DFW for $146 pretty much until the cabin was full. Three F seats opened up a few days prior to departure but were all taken at T-24. Upon boarding, there were several Group 1 pax walking back to economy.

I'm shocked at how low these upgrades are on such elite heavy routes.

​​​​​
Old Dec 10, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
May I ask how soon after you make your reservation that these upgrade offers appear?

Thank you.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The offer on PHX-SFO (and v.v.) has been $97 all year. Right now I'm being offered $205 for a late December flight with a wide open F cabin. Change in practice? I hope not. These discounted upgrades have been one of the few things keeping AA in the game on this route for me (as their F fares are considerably higher than either UA or AS).
Originally Posted by mnhusker
May I ask how soon after you make your reservation that these upgrade offers appear?
Immediately after it's ticketed.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
So if you have not received an offer right after ticketing, you are not going to get one, correct?
Old Dec 10, 2022, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mnhusker
So if you have not received an offer right after ticketing, you are not going to get one, correct?
I don't think that's categorically true, but odds are against.

I'd keep checking.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
We have a few flights coming up out of CLT. Offers were initially $97 and went to $200 recently, even with cabins that look to be about half full. 3 of us traveling, split the PNRs for upgrade purposes. Bought one upgrade, and hoping to clear EXP upgrades for the other two. But did think the jump in price was interesting, and not something that I’ve seen before on short/med haul routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.