Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Schedule change with BA on AA award ticket : Requesting AS flight connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro

BA initiated a schedule change on my SPU to LHR July 11 now requiring a July 10 departure a day earlier with an overnight stay in London and onward travel with AA from LHR to SFO July 11. Rather than an overnight stay, I have found a routing possibility with the flight change proposed to LHR July 10 with a change/connection to LHR to LAX on AA #135 with a connecting flight on Alaska AS #1243. I can get American to open the biz class seats from LHR to LAX, but does anyone know if AA or BA will have success in ticketing the Alaska connection due to BA's schedule change on my original booking without any overnight connections? Thanks in advance !

Last edited by maser70; Jun 16, 2021 at 11:21 am
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
June 10/11 -- i.e. 5-6 days ago? Or is this for a future month?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Sorry - it's July 10/11 !
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by maser70
Rather than an overnight stay, I have found a routing possibility with the flight change proposed to LHR July 10 with a change/connection to LHR to LAX on AA #135 with a connecting flight on Alaska AS #1243. I can get American to open the biz class seats from LHR to LAX, but does anyone know if AA or BA will have success in ticketing the Alaska connection due to BA's schedule change on my original booking without any overnight connections?
So, maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, but what exactly do you mean by "success in ticketing" the AS flight?

If AA will open up space on LHR-LAX, and AS has availability on the LAX-SFO, then it should be no problem to switch to that (assuming of course the LAX connection meets the MCT).

But if AS doesn't have award space, then it's not likely at all that AS will open up space due to BA's schedule change. You can call AA and see if you luck into a good agent that 1) knows how and 2) will try to ask, but again chances for success are not high.

Also, since this is booked through AA, don't even bother calling BA, they won't touch it and will just direct you back to AA.

And have you 100% verified that AA will open space on the LHR-LAX flight, or just assuming? AA can and will do this for an AA schedule change, but for a partner schedule change it can be a trickier ask.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:51 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
If you booked the award through AAdvantage, American is willing to open award space on its own flights but cannot necessarily on other flights.

Is there a reason you need AS 1243 instead of AA 3030 which leaves 6 minutes prior?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. AA confirmed they will open up biz class award space for AA 135 to LAX, but in doing so AA want me to overnight in LAX continuing on AA the following morning to SFO. Currently ,there is no award space on AS from LAX to SFO on their last flight of the day July 10 - so I'm going to request help via the liaison desk to see if anyone from the BA side can do anything to get me onto the AS flight. MCT is fine. Agree, this may be a long shot, but thought I would ask the group if there is any strategy in putting the request forward to the correct party and agree calling BA is a non-starter and waste of time. Maybe EU 261 rules will allow them to rebook the connecting flight either with forced award space (not likely AS will free up seats) or for a charge.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

AA 3030 doesn't operate July 10. The last flight departing LAX to SFO is AA 3259 7:30 pm - which is before the LHR/LAX flight arrives.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:12 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by maser70
AA 3030 doesn't operate July 10. The last flight departing LAX to SFO is AA 3259 7:30 pm - which is before the LHR/LAX flight arrives.
Gotcha, I was looking at July 11.

The chances AS opens up award space seem slim to me. You could buy a ticket on AS 1243 for $66 in Basic Economy or $86 in Main Cabin. Given the low prices maybe AS will open up award space sometime before you depart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.