Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does AA still have long delay in ticketing award, even oneway domestic on AA metal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does AA still have long delay in ticketing award, even oneway domestic on AA metal?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2021 | 4:00 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Did a search in this forum, I found that delay ticketing award booking still seems an issue. Someone said the agent told him AA now only ticket travel 12 days out. Have trip planned but in much later part of the year.

My concern is the miles do not get deducted until the reservation is ticketed. Need mileage activity by end of June to keep miles from expiry.

Worse come to worst I could make dummy booking then cancel later and rebook the real trip. But I seriously dont want to do that.

How are people's recent experiences on ticketing a domestic one way award on AA metal? Is it still being prioritized to travel dates?

TIA for current info.
Old May 29, 2021 | 4:14 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Happy
How are people's recent experiences on ticketing a domestic one way award on AA metal? Is it still being prioritized to travel dates?
Very unpredictable. This year, Ive had international awards ticketed within minutes and simple domestic awards take several hours.

But both types were booked many weeks out, and AA wasn't waiting until close to departure to ticket.
Old May 29, 2021 | 4:59 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by econ
Very unpredictable. This year, Ive had international awards ticketed within minutes and simple domestic awards take several hours.

But both types were booked many weeks out, and AA wasn't waiting until close to departure to ticket.
Thanks for the info. I assume web special cannot be changed but can be canceled with no reinstatement fee to get miles refunded back to account?
Old May 29, 2021 | 5:29 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
It really depends. In the last week, Ive had a JL award that took almost 48hrs to ticket and another one that ticketed almost immediately. Both were for travel in the next month. In any case, for the OP - it shouldnt take a month to get an award to ticket.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 30, 2021 | 11:02 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

I went ahead to book an Oct trip. Do not receive any email even on the reservation itself, though the trip is showing under my trip. Ticket Pending. Credit card is not authorized as Chase does not show pending charge.

It has been so long since last time booking any AA award. I cannot remember how the email confirmation comes.
Also I see there is no Hold button on booking like in the past there is a 5 days hold period. Is it because this is a Web Special (seems most domestic economy awards are Web Specials?) the purchase is immediate? Or I completely miss that option?

I will give it till Tue morning to see if the ticketing on an Oct trip would go through in 48 hours upon purchase,

Last edited by Happy; May 30, 2021 at 11:08 am
Old May 30, 2021 | 11:21 am
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I've booked award tickets during COVID that took about 3 hours to ticket. I had one revenue ticket stuck, but called and it was in the pipe within 90 minutes after the call.
Old May 31, 2021 | 8:31 am
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I have booked several web special awards in the past few months, all for travel at the end of this year and beyond. All have ticketed within 12 hours. My credit card was only authorized after they had issued the ticket and deducted the miles, and that is when I got a confirmation email. This is a holiday weekend so I would perhaps wait until Wednesday to give them time to handle a backlog from the weekend.

You should have seen the Hold button prior to booking the award but in any case Ticket Pending is what you should see after you have selected to Book, followed by Ticketed. Your email and credit card charge will happen at that time. It all seems normal so far, just a little slow
Old Nov 7, 2021 | 10:09 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: DL Gold, AA Gold, CO Gold
Moved the travel dates on an existing and ticketed redemption for December by a few days (OW partner travel, same flight numbers, only date changed) last Friday morning. The agent told me that changed award redemptions often take 24 hours to ticket. It's now been closer to 60 hours and I'm still waiting...

Last edited by jope_taco; Nov 7, 2021 at 1:22 pm
Old Jan 7, 2022 | 5:34 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
20 Years on Site

It's been a challenge getting my award itinerary ticketed. Flights are for later in 2022, flying a combination of Royal Jordanian in business class with a short hop on the end on American in coach.

Originally made the award reservation on 1/1/2022. After 4 days of TICKET PENDING status, I reached out to AA through Twitter. The response I got was "the reservation is for flights that do not exist anymore and is now cancelled." The reservation was cancelled without any attempt to resolve! I checked directly witht the Royal Jordanian site and saw the flights were still on the schedule. Fortunately, the same itinerary was still available as an AA award so I rebooked it again on 1/5. Two days later, still in TICKET PENDING status.

I wish I knew if the issue was with RJ taking forever to confirm or the mix of RJ in business with AA in coach or if there really is a future schedule change not published yet.

UPDATE 1/8 - ticket status has changed to ON REQUEST
UPDATE 1/9 - TICKETED

Last edited by MileageAddict; Jan 9, 2022 at 2:34 am
Old Feb 27, 2023 | 11:15 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Sorry to drudge up an old thread. I was able to book some saver J awards this week US-Australia-US via the Qantas award dump. I put them on hold on the 24th and called last night to pay for the awards. They all went from ON HOLD to ON REQUEST. I called AA today to try and get them to push ticketing thru and they refused. The agent had me on hold for 20m while she contacted ticketing...but came back and said they have a queue order and I had to wait in that order. Is that still normal? If this was US- Europe or something I wouldn't be as worried. But trying to replace US to AUS business class flights will be next to impossible for anything but exorbitant rates. Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2023 | 1:01 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: free agent
I had a schedule change on an AA award ticket on BA metal this week, and was given the option to select a new flight.

Picked a replacement flight - got message that all passengers were rebooked and the status was "Ticketed".

Had to contact AA to get the BA locator code, 1/2 an hour later on the phone and apparently the award was no longer available on BA.

:/

Ended up rebooking on AA with a connection - but they honored the original mileage.

Advice: check everything and believe nothing you're told. Ever.
Old Nov 8, 2023 | 1:42 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Unhappy

Originally Posted by chicago747
Sorry to drudge up an old thread. I was able to book some saver J awards this week US-Australia-US via the Qantas award dump. I put them on hold on the 24th and called last night to pay for the awards. They all went from ON HOLD to ON REQUEST. I called AA today to try and get them to push ticketing thru and they refused. The agent had me on hold for 20m while she contacted ticketing...but came back and said they have a queue order and I had to wait in that order. Is that still normal? If this was US- Europe or something I wouldn't be as worried. But trying to replace US to AUS business class flights will be next to impossible for anything but exorbitant rates. Thanks
I made a reservation for award travel in business class from the US to Portugal on a mix of AA and BA flights. The AA website couldn't take payment, so I called and an agent entered my CC info into the reservation. At that point the reservation went into ON REQUEST status where it's been for two weeks. The three times I've called, I've been told some combination of the following:
1. Award tickets on partner airlines always go in a queue.
2. They try to get through the queue in a week, or the partner segments may get canceled.
3. The reservation will only get canceled if I have insufficient miles at the time of ticketing.
4. It may take up to 6 weeks to get ticketed.
5. It may take several months to get ticketed
6. The queue is always worked in order of departure date, so it may not get ticketed until close to the departure date.

I did use the BA record locator, checked on the BA website and the segments there appear to be OK.

It's just a really terrible customer service experience to wait weeks for an award ticket to be issued.
Old Nov 8, 2023 | 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kraigsf
I made a reservation for award travel in business class from the US to Portugal on a mix of AA and BA flights. The AA website couldn't take payment, so I called and an agent entered my CC info into the reservation. At that point the reservation went into ON REQUEST status where it's been for two weeks. The three times I've called, I've been told some combination of the following:
1. Award tickets on partner airlines always go in a queue.
2. They try to get through the queue in a week, or the partner segments may get canceled.
3. The reservation will only get canceled if I have insufficient miles at the time of ticketing.
4. It may take up to 6 weeks to get ticketed.
5. It may take several months to get ticketed
6. The queue is always worked in order of departure date, so it may not get ticketed until close to the departure date.

I did use the BA record locator, checked on the BA website and the segments there appear to be OK.

It's just a really terrible customer service experience to wait weeks for an award ticket to be issued.
Nothing is going to get cancelled. Just make sure that you have sufficient miles and and credit card info is still good.

Most people don't know the difference between a something that is on request and ticketed, so I disagree that is a bad customer service experience. As long as it gets ticketed before you fly there is really nothing to worry about.
moondog likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023 | 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

If it hasn't ticketed yet, then go back to reservations and get it to check with ticketing as to the issue. Any more than 72 hours ime indicates an issue

Booking on the phone with the office which the AU number directs to is great, since after 72 hours no issue with the agent contacting ticketing department to get problem fixed - no attempt to invent reasons for it not to be completed

It is critical with some partner awards since once the ticketing time limit expires, the partner will cancel the booking
Old Nov 8, 2023 | 5:00 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
For me always within 3-4 hours at the most. I am usually booking awards within 72 hours of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.