Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Musical chairs (AA1051 departs with one too many pax)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2021, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold

A first for me, AA 1051 , taxied out with 1 too many passengers for the seats on A319. Back at gate now trying to sort it out.
Old May 25, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Was someone in the [lav]?

Last edited by JY1024; May 26, 2021 at 8:09 am Reason: Language edited by mod
Old May 25, 2021, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Was someone in the [lav]?
Seriously. How the hell does this happen
IAHtraveler likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; May 26, 2021 at 8:09 am Reason: Language edited by mod
Old May 25, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Or maybe they counted a lap child as a real child?
Old May 25, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Antarius
Perhaps this is the 1st reported manifestation of the highly anticipated “Single GA” policy?
Old May 25, 2021, 9:16 pm

Maybe a just-discovered broken seat?
AAdamE likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 10:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
This is all I was able to find :-/

DFW 255P C C28
ATL 9 T11 606P
3DFW/ETD1917 CSV-DELAY DURING CUSTOMER BOARDING-E *1908
4DFW/OUT1909 OFF1925 *1925
7DFW/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED *1930*CRCYMG
2ATL/IN2212 *2113
Old May 26, 2021, 7:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Seriously, when every BP is scanned, how the hell does this happen? So much for security and knowing who's on a flight.

I had a flight last month where two people both boarded with passes for seat 11C. After about 40 minutes of multiple people scrambling, it was finally discovered that one person was for this flight and the other was on the next flight an hour later, but both shared the same last name and seat assignment. I'd sure like to understand how the person with the BP for the later flight got past the GA.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Seriously, when every BP is scanned, how the hell does this happen? So much for security and knowing who's on a flight.

I had a flight last month where two people both boarded with passes for seat 11C. After about 40 minutes of multiple people scrambling, it was finally discovered that one person was for this flight and the other was on the next flight an hour later, but both shared the same last name and seat assignment. I'd sure like to understand how the person with the BP for the later flight got past the GA.
This is even more odd as someone would literally be stuck without a seat.

I have Accidentally boarded the wrong flight before. 6 AM I end up boarding DFW-MSP instead of DFW-DTW. Sat down, had my jacket hung and was sipping a coffee when the captain made an announcement of the flight route. Immediately scrambled.

To this day, not sure how they let me on the flight.
​​​​​
dciolli likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
This is even more odd as someone would literally be stuck without a seat.

I have Accidentally boarded the wrong flight before. 6 AM I end up boarding DFW-MSP instead of DFW-DTW. Sat down, had my jacket hung and was sipping a coffee when the captain made an announcement of the flight route. Immediately scrambled.

To this day, not sure how they let me on the flight.
​​​​​
There was an urban legend I heard a few times at ORD - Rochester MN and Rochester NY were departing out of one of those split gates (G6A/G6B) around same time. Somehow, someone got on the wrong one and didnt know until they got there. "Welcome aboard flight 1234 service to Rochester." Not sure how (or if) it happened, but as with your case, sometimes things happen.
hhdl likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I have also wondered this many times. I'm curious if the system even notices when more BPs are scanned than seats are available.

Ten or more years ago I was flying SEA-ATL on Delta, this was a domestic 767. Somehow, every seats on the plane was full and both aisles were still packed with people who had boarded. I'd estimate there were ~30% more people boarded onto the aircraft than there were seats. That was obviously a massive cluster and took some time to remedy. I have absolutely no idea how this happens. If there are any GAs out there who can chime in it would be very interesting to find out.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I’ve also had a DL flight where duplicate boarding passes for the same seat got issued, it was not caught at the scanner before the jet bridge and the GA had to wade onto the plane and sort it out. Seems like an extremely rare but non-zero glitch with that part of Delta’s software system.
Old May 26, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Perhaps this is the 1st reported manifestation of the highly anticipated “Single GA” policy?
Too soon
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
If anyone has ever looked at the GA's monitor while boarding there's a counter that shows the number of passengers still to board, and it decrements each time a BP is scanned. I'm assuming in this case it was showing -1 when everyone boarded which should have been a red flag that something was wrong! Either that or zero with one passenger still in line...
Old May 26, 2021, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Quite easily. Is it that difficult to imagine walking on an airplane without a boarding pass being scanned?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.