Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrongfully Denied Boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2021, 10:37 am

As for valuing the points used, the simplest way would seem to be by using the amount that the airline would charge you to buy the points. Would be hard for AA to say they are not worth that amount.
IAHtraveler, garykung and s777bg like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by redtop43
Because the judge isn't going to look at the 27 eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on each one explaining what each one is to be used in evidence against them.
Nice, Arlo reference!
madmanshoney likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by rharlan
As we can not see any mention of employee error in the passage contract, the Montreal agreement or the Warsaw Agreement that would cover this issue we will have to simply treat this as a breech of contract as American failed to perform.
You don't have a breach of contract case. ADA (Airline Deregulation Act) preempts this.

Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill
You can file a small claims case without having any burden of proof. Any claim will do.
True, but that mean filing a frivolous case.

You only need to show more likely than not you are owed the compensation you claim (51% wins).
That means you have to PROVE the case.

But, since no lawyers can participate in small claims court they will surely request a transfer to civil court.
CA law actually prohibits this. Unless AA can prove no jurisdiction (unlikely) or AA counter-sue above the Small Claims limit (impossible), the case will stay in the Small Claims.

Also - Small Claims is a court of record. So everything is binding.
rharlan likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Great advice!

+1 for not mentioning any potential lawsuits. Once you threaten to sue, the case may move from Customer Care to Legal, potentially extending the protracted process of seeking reimbursement.
I disagree. Lawyers are usually eager to make meritorious claims go away quietly, and even to settle non-meritorious nuisance claims for cost of defense. (Example: A few years ago, my ex-wife sued me over some petty stuff that fortunately triggered coverage by my insurance. The attorney retained by my insurance company asked me if he could offer her a small settlement and I agreed; she refused. The case went to small claims court and was so thin that my ex was literally in tears 5 minutes after the hearing started.) A few companies here and there are very resistant to paying settlements to discourage other litigants (think The Trump Organization) but most don't want to sweat the small stuff. Admittedly, I've never had a material legal dispute with an airline.
Old May 20, 2021, 5:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Sky Dreamer
Ugh I'm so sorry that happened to you. Does anyone know if like a Chase Sapphire card with included trip insurance would cover a situation like this (i.e. trip interruption)?

I really want to go on an international trip, but unless it's a country where can get in on a vaccine passport I don't think it's worth it. There's a horror story on a FT thread of someone flying internationally long distance on Qatar Airways and the government changed the rules while they were in the air and they were denied transit. The airline was not helping them and charged them change fees to get home.

There are way too many rules which can change on a dime and the people enforcing sometimes have zero clue what's going on. I'm hoping come fall things are less insane!
I thought the same thing the OP said they used Amex Plat - so hopefully they are in good hands.
Old May 20, 2021, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Sky Dreamer
Does anyone know if like a Chase Sapphire card with included trip insurance would cover a situation like this (i.e. trip interruption)?
It does not. Chase has a specific list of events covered under the trip interruption.

Originally Posted by redtop43
I disagree. Lawyers are usually eager to make meritorious claims go away quietly, and even to settle non-meritorious nuisance claims for cost of defense.
Both PTahCha and you are correct and incorrect. To be exact - it all depends on the company style.

IME - generally demand letters are summarily ignored and we end up in courts. But does that mean you should not send one and threaten to sue? While in most of the case, the law does not require to send one (some laws have such requirements), I would say it is customary to send one regardless. Whether mentioning the suit is totally up to you - many companies won't respond just because of the threat.

Nowadays - I usually just serve the companies with a summons and the complaint instead. But that's just me.
Old May 20, 2021, 6:17 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Does travel insurance even cover documentation issues? Even if turned back in error?
Old May 20, 2021, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Does travel insurance even cover documentation issues? Even if turned back in error?
Usually not, as it is deemed as human errors (for either side).
Old May 21, 2021, 9:17 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Why not just ask for reimbursement for costs incurred. If doesn’t seem like your trip was delayed (unless I missed something). You used points. So they can refund the points and reimburse for any lodging and food expenses. No need to sue for future travel credit.
Old May 22, 2021, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
Why not just ask for reimbursement for costs incurred. If doesn’t seem like your trip was delayed (unless I missed something). You used points. So they can refund the points and reimburse for any lodging and food expenses. No need to sue for future travel credit.
They were flying Fresno to DFW to Aruba, were not allowed to board the flight to Aruba, so never got to their destination
They used airline miles and points for a hotel and transportation to get home,
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by rharlan
I need help with an unusual situation. We were enroute from FAT to Aruba with a stop in DFW. We were allowed to board in Fresno and held boarding passes all the way to Aruba. When we arrived in DFW, the ticket agent denied us boarding based on not having the proper documents. We appealed to the superisor who agreed with the ticket agent. We were left stranded in DFW. We arranged our own hotel and transporttion home using points for everything. We have since checked with Aruba authorities and they confirmed WE DID HAVE PROPER DOCUMMENTS. We have reached out to AA customer service who has apologized in the email for their "error." They are offering us a meager amount for reibursement of our costs. They are picking and choosing the amounts and the value offering us nothing for the return home or any future travel. The question is: Do we have any rights since they agree it was there mistake? Should we consider small claims in California or is that just more of a waste of time and resources especially since we paid for our expenses home on points? Any other tips or suggestions?
In a similar situation. I was denied boarding in transit(at lhr). What happened eventually ? What worked and didn't ? Thank you.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dandso1
In a similar situation. I was denied boarding in transit(at lhr). What happened eventually ? What worked and didn't ? Thank you.
Cross post. What happened to OP here does not equate to your experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.