Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enough time to collect baggage and recheck (AA to AS) at LAX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

AA's DCA-LAX non-stop moved by about 85 minutes from 7:20 to 8:45 am. We booked separate tickets from LAX-SFO on AS (booked first class). The connection time went from about 2.5 hours to 1:20. Any thoughts on if this will be sufficient to collect baggage and recheck baggage with AS (going from T4/T5 to T6). We are precheck as well.
Old May 12, 2021, 11:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
AA's DCA-LAX non-stop moved by about 85 minutes from 7:20 to 8:45 am. We booked separate tickets from LAX-SFO on AS (booked first class). The connection time went from about 2.5 hours to 1:20. Any thoughts on if this will be sufficient to collect baggage and recheck baggage with AS (going from T4/T5 to T6). We are precheck as well.
1:20 is more than ample time. The walk from T4/T5 to T6 is short, check-in is just inside the door & Security adjacent. With precheck, I am always through in under 5 minutes. If baggage from AA is out in a reasonable time you may even have time to visit the Alaska Lounge. You will have access on your AS paid F flight.

James
AS Moderator

Last edited by Flying for Fun; May 12, 2021 at 11:14 pm
Old May 12, 2021, 11:08 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
It is possible but is a VERY VERY tight connection. AS requires all baggage to be checked 45min prior to departure, so you have ~30min to deplane, reclaim checked bag, walk to T6, and check-in at AS. Personally, I could walk from T4 to T6 in 5 mins without a checked bag, but it certainly can take longer. IMO the most uncertain part, aside from delays, is how long it would take to reclaim the bags at LAX.
Old May 12, 2021, 11:09 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
DELETED
Old May 13, 2021, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

why can't you through check?
Old May 13, 2021, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
why can't you through check?
I suspect because they have multiple tickets
Old May 13, 2021, 7:26 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You’d do well to not check bags on this one, but it is possible to do it in 1:20 if nothing goes wrong.
Old May 13, 2021, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
You’d do well to not check bags on this one, but it is possible to do it in 1:20 if nothing goes wrong.
Not really an option with 12 days of travel.....I guess its -possible-
Old May 13, 2021, 7:38 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Is there another Alaska flight after that one? Worst case is you take the next one based on the unofficial flat tire rule.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:07 pm

Programs: Some more than others
It's tight but doable. The AS checked luggage cutoff is T-40, which means it must be tagged and in the agents hands then rather than just be in line. This means you have 40 minutes from the time your flight is scheduled to arrive to claim your bag, walk over to T6 (5-10 mins) and complete checkin.

My experience (albeit pre-covid) is that AA luggage at LAX is slow.

The good news is that AS has about 7 flights a day from LAX-SFO, so if you miss that one worst case scenario is that they put you on the next one and you hang around a couple hours in the Alaska Lounge.
Old May 13, 2021, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, the next flight is 2.5 hours later which isn't terrible. I guess the alternate is that we have to drag along three roll alongs. Could have worse issues befall us,
Old May 13, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Why isn't DCA-SFO direct on AS not an option? It appears that AA DCA-LAX doesn't get any premium products anyway - the detour probably isn't worth it?

As for the connection, AS also offers an option to print a bag tag at home. Maybe an agent will be more willing to accept a bag that has already been tagged even it might be a few mins late?
Old May 13, 2021, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shd9
Why isn't DCA-SFO direct on AS not an option? It appears that AA DCA-LAX doesn't get any premium products anyway - the detour probably isn't worth it?

As for the connection, AS also offers an option to print a bag tag at home. Maybe an agent will be more willing to accept a bag that has already been tagged even it might be a few mins late?
I used a credit card certificate which requires round-trip (no circles, no open jaws). So, it was either round-trip to SFO with embedded flights to/from LAX or round trip to LAX with embedded flights to/from SFO. Given that DCA-LAX is non-stop, we viewed that as the better option.
shd9 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.