Wiki Posts
Search

Finding delay causes?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2021, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Finding delay causes?

Apologies if this belongs somewhere else -- I browsed the IROPS/OSO wiki and that thread seems to me more large scale-disruptions more than single flight curiosities.

Perhaps the United website and app has spoiled Ms. LincolnJKC and I with the volume of information available, particularly for flight delays, while it looks like all of the AA resources draw the line at telling you the flight is delayed but not the "why"... is this available somewhere we just aren't seeing it?

The missus decided to try AA DCA-PHL-CLE yesterday (May 8) to check out AA's new DCA terminal and because the AA fare was about half of the UA fare. AA5106 had its departure delayed by 21 minutes and arrival delayed 39 minutes -- making the connection uncomfortably tight with a forced-gate check thrown in -- on the AA positive side a gate agent in PHL met her and another CLE-connecting passenger on the Jetway and shepherded both of them and their gate-checked bags to the appropriate departure gate closing the door behind them.

Of course she gets to Cleveland and asks her travel expert (me) what was up... and I can't see it anywhere. Based a the delay being originally posted (per Flightstats) at 8:33 EDT -- 4+ hours before departure -- implies operational (crew scheduling/aircraft availability) based on my experiences...but with no status announced at the gate or on AA's digital tools we'd both love to know why -- not that it actually means anything or will make a difference since the connection was made, but we're not used to being kept in the dark.
Old May 9, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
If you fly enough, an ExpertFlyer subscription is great to have. I let mine lapse after last year since I don't know when I will return to regular flying again.
seigex likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea EF can show you the notes as long as it's within a day or two of the flight.

AA5106 from 5/8:

PSA AIRLINES AS AMERICAN EAGLE
DCA 1250P 54 PHL 18 F24 141P
7DCA/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED *0753*CRCYMG
3DCA/ETD1307 LMT-LATE ARRV A/C DUE TO PRIOR MAINTENANCE DELAYS *1147
4DCA/OUT1311 OFF1337 *1237
2PHL/IN1420 *1321
lincolnjkc and meechyathere like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yea EF can show you the notes as long as it's within a day or two of the flight.

AA5106 from 5/8:

PSA AIRLINES AS AMERICAN EAGLE
DCA 1250P 54 PHL 18 F24 141P
7DCA/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED *0753*CRCYMG
3DCA/ETD1307 LMT-LATE ARRV A/C DUE TO PRIOR MAINTENANCE DELAYS *1147
4DCA/OUT1311 OFF1337 *1237
2PHL/IN1420 *1321
Awesome, thanks for sharing that. I think I had an EF subscription in the past (I definitely had an account I forgot the password for ) but think I let it drop because I didn't see the value prop as a 98% UA flyer -- seems might be worth re-evaluating, particularly if the missus takes a liking to AA... Maybe get it for my birthday this week

Thanks again for filling in the blank!
Old May 9, 2021, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
UA is definitely better than AA in providing info about delays.
Old May 10, 2021, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by wrp96
UA is definitely better than AA in providing info about delays.
For now. But what happens when they do away with delay codes?
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...ng-passengers/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.