Wiki Posts
Search

Loud Boarding Process

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Loud Boarding Process

I know I've been lucky to have flown only occasionally and on empty flights during the pandemic, but those days have definitively ended. I'm back to bi-weekly travel, and just completed a DFW-PBI flight in paid F on Tuesday, May 4. When did things get so LOUD during boarding? I was on a business call (with earbuds) and alongside the guy next to me (with noise canceling headsets), we both were shaking our heads...

The boarding area was fairly calm, but after entering the plane, things spiraled out of control. The flight attendants were shouting "Welcome Back! Hello there!" at every passenger. Three or four babies boarded, each greeted with effusive noise -- loud laughter and excitement. The passengers reacted to this party atmosphere by yelling and gabbing throughout boarding. This went on for twenty full minutes. This was easily the loudest environment I have been in since the shutdown -- it felt like a nightclub or loud restaurant -- this was 4pm on a workday btw.

Just venting. I guess it's all a positive sign for the economy.
asnovici, gotmilk8 and skipness1E like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 2:38 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Haha I haven’t noticed, but it’s probably because the planes are full of leisure flyers who are excited to be going on vacation as opposed to grumpy business travelers who are just trying to get where they’re going with as little fuss as possible.

What I HAVE noticed, however is that the FA and captain announcements have been incredibly loud. It’s like everyone all of a sudden decided to turn the speakers to 11, and it’s absolutely unbearable.
Old May 6, 2021, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c
Haha I haven’t noticed, but it’s probably because the planes are full of leisure flyers who are excited to be going on vacation as opposed to grumpy business travelers who are just trying to get where they’re going with as little fuss as possible.

What I HAVE noticed, however is that the FA and captain announcements have been incredibly loud. It’s like everyone all of a sudden decided to turn the speakers to 11, and it’s absolutely unbearable.
It's definitely...lively...onboard right now. Lots and lots and lots of group 9 vacationers.

As for the loud FAs, I think a lot of them are just excited to be back on the job and seeing full planes again. And I'm happy for them.
Abidjan, skylady and SJOGuy like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Loud PA systems on planes have been an issue (for me) for years. It is rare that the announcements are at a normal volume in my experience. Now that there are additional announcements it may be amplifying the issue (pun intended).
gotmilk8 and 355F1 like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 5:30 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I never realized how bad it was until I got a pair of Bose.
Old May 6, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I agree. PHL-PHX a few days ago seemed like the volume on the announcements was 11 on a scale of 1 to 10.
Old May 6, 2021, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Huh, had have the opposite experience, especially on the OASIS 737's, can barely hear a word the FA's were saying and definitely couldn't hear the pilots.
Abidjan, dorisrpas and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 6:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Have you checked your hearing aids recently? Some boost volume at inopportune times
Old May 6, 2021, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
When the pilot makes an announcement I can’t hear Jack. However when that Barclays card is being talked about it’s deafening
Tanic, gotmilk8, JoeDTW and 13 others like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
When people can't tune things out, they are not in charge of their lives.

Every ding from the pilot has to be followed by a verbal announcement as there may be visually impaired people in the plane.
Old May 6, 2021, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
When the pilot makes an announcement I can’t hear Jack. However when that Barclays card is being talked about it’s deafening
I mean, who doesn't want to hear about 60,000 (no wait.. call now and it's 60,500) bonus miles?
Old May 6, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Sorry, but if you're making a call, you're part of the problem.
jcf27, aamilesslave, dls25 and 9 others like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Well there's the endless loud announcements about masks. Then the loud announcement hawking credit cards. I just turn the music up loud. Back to 80s and 90s rock.

A little OT I have notice paxs that have never flown in F, now that it's affordable. Last week flying DCA/MIA the couple across from me had the FA captured for 15 minutes talking about what compromised the turkey sandwich or cheese plate. Then they seemed totally awed that the booze was free. Really, you would have thought they were ordering a $500 meal at the French Laundry.
Old May 6, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Well there's the endless loud announcements about masks.
^^This

Yes.... I get it..... wear my mask. We're going on what.... 14 months now? I think the airlines can take a break from the 4X/hour "reminders". I know you value my safety and that of my fellow flyers above all else. Could you also value desire to just sit in peace?
Podcat, AAway, apeortdz and 3 others like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by mtofell
^^This

Yes.... I get it..... wear my mask. We're going on what.... 14 months now? I think the airlines can take a break from the 4X/hour "reminders". I know you value my safety and that of my fellow flyers above all else. Could you also value desire to just sit in peace?
It's especially in smaller gate areas for RJ's like in PHL/CLT where each gate agent is reading the same script for each flight thus everyone in the area probably has it committed to memory by the time they board. I'm all for mask wearing but the sheer volume of announcements is a bit much. I guess with all these anti-mask incidents onboard I kind of get it but really, if someone doesn't know they're supposed to wear one on a flight at this point, should you really be allowed outside the house?
bozacksmith and mtofell like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.