Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can't book multi city award itineraries anymore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

I tried to book a dfw-bru-lhr-dfw itinerary but I get a message saying anything more than 1 flight I have to call.

Is AA.com that inept? I was able to book multi city itineraries two years ago.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:02 pm

I get "Something went wrong - Our system is having trouble. Please try again or come back later."
Old Apr 30, 2021, 11:17 pm

I could book 2 segments but had to call for anything more. Didn't use to be this way.
Old May 1, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I had the same issue yesterday as well. Turns out that one segment on AA metal was messing things up. Ended up finding a (better) option timewise when I selected to expand the search to non-AA metal.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I tweeted AA about this glitch about only being to book two flights at a time for award tickets. They weren't aware of it and said they would contact IT and get back with me. Meanwhile, I CALLED AA to do a multi city reward (dfw-prg-lhr-dfw with some segments having connections eg dfw-mad-prg). First off how in god's name did we ever make reservations by phone before the internet? What a total cluster. She was giving me only BA routings through LHR and the criminal $900 tax but I tried to explain only AA metal across the pond please or IB routings via MAD. It was taking so long and was not getting anywhere. I said thank you for your help but I'll wait for IT to get your problem fixed. She, too, wasn't aware we couldn't make multi-city award bookings.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by enviroian
I tweeted AA about this glitch about only being to book two flights at a time for award tickets. They weren't aware of it and said they would contact IT and get back with me. Meanwhile, I CALLED AA to do a multi city reward (dfw-prg-lhr-dfw with some segments having connections eg dfw-mad-prg). First off how in god's name did we ever make reservations by phone before the internet? What a total cluster. She was giving me only BA routings through LHR and the criminal $900 tax but I tried to explain only AA metal across the pond please or IB routings via MAD. It was taking so long and was not getting anywhere. I said thank you for your help but I'll wait for IT to get your problem fixed. She, too, wasn't aware we couldn't make multi-city award bookings.
Just out of curiosity why do you want this all on the same PNR?
aamilesslave and aaupgrade like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Just out of curiosity why do you want this all on the same PNR?
If I do them separately they are two separate awards. I have booked these awards for years on AA with only a small added mileage addition compared to two separate itineraries.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I do them separately they are two separate awards. I have booked these awards for years on AA with only a small added mileage addition compared to two separate itineraries.
I'm not following...all awards are one-ways, and AA doesn't allow stopovers on single awards, so the total price will be the same whether you book DFW-PRG-LHR-DFW on one PNR or split it up into 3 PNR's DFW-PRG, PRG-LHR, LHR-DFW. Unless I'm missing something here about what you're trying to do.

Pre-covid, for a non-EXP it sometimes made sense to book everything on the same PNR as if you needed to cancel you would only pay the single redeposit fee as opposed to +$25 for each additional PNR. But as an EXP and now with no change/redeposit fees that reasoning has gone out the window.

Also you can just buy a one-way PRG-LHR on BA for $30-$60 for most of the remaining schedule so not sure I'd spend 12.5k miles on that segment, which is what it will cost in economy.
aamilesslave likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
. Is AA.com that inept?
LOL. Silly question.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm not following...all awards are one-ways, and AA doesn't allow stopovers on single awards, so the total price will be the same whether you book DFW-PRG-LHR-DFW on one PNR or split it up into 3 PNR's DFW-PRG, PRG-LHR, LHR-DFW. Unless I'm missing something here about what you're trying to do.

Pre-covid, for a non-EXP it sometimes made sense to book everything on the same PNR as if you needed to cancel you would only pay the single redeposit fee as opposed to +$25 for each additional PNR. But as an EXP and now with no change/redeposit fees that reasoning has gone out the window.

Also you can just buy a one-way PRG-LHR on BA for $30-$60 for most of the remaining schedule so not sure I'd spend 12.5k miles on that segment, which is what it will cost in economy.
Yes I would book a mileage saver J award for 115K miles plus 12.5 or 25K for the one way intra europe flight.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I would book a mileage saver J award for 115K miles plus 12.5 or 25K for the one way intra europe flight.
Right, so my point was there's no real benefit to booking everything on the same PNR. Who knows how long it will take for AA fix the multi-city 2 segment max thing. At the very least you could book DFW-PRG, LHR-DFW on the same PNR then just book the PRG-LHR flight separately, either with cash or miles.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Right, so my point was there's no real benefit to booking everything on the same PNR. Who knows how long it will take for AA fix the multi-city 2 segment max thing. At the very least you could book DFW-PRG, LHR-DFW on the same PNR then just book the PRG-LHR flight separately, either with cash or miles.
Good point, thanks.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Stop falling into the trap and calling it this

"She was giving me only BA routings through LHR and the criminal $900 tax"

Your issue is with the BA carrier surcharge which isn't a tax"

Call it what it is and blanme the right people for it"
Old May 5, 2021, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Stop falling into the trap and calling it this

"She was giving me only BA routings through LHR and the criminal $900 tax"

Your issue is with the BA carrier surcharge which isn't a tax"

Call it what it is and blanme the right people for it"
please. Call it what you want. Pick a word, it doesn't matter which word you use.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
please. Call it what you want. Pick a word, it doesn't matter which word you use.
Accuracy matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.